• ALL USERS: please familiarise yourself with the MSO Forum Rules (updated 03/08/20).
  • UCAT PREP COMPANY DISCUSSION: Site administrators have implemented a rule that states there is to be NO mention of UCAT prep companies. This includes discussion, recommendations, questions, and reviews, and extends to allusions, acronyms, and other other attempts to get around the rule. Offending content will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be warned and may be banned.

Does nursing experience help on an interview?

flamie

I mean if there's any possibility your experience in nursing will help to answer basic questions and will give some idea to the interviewers that you already realise why you've chosen medicine as a future path. :unsure:

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

chinaski

I mean if there's any possibility your experience in nursing will help to answer basic questions and will give some idea to the interviewers that you already realise why you've chosen medicine as a future path. :unsure:
Only if used intelligently, like any other relevant previous experience. A nursing background doesn't necessarily guarantee insight, so it's essential you can talk the talk AND walk the walk.

Lozzy

smilee ☺ <font color="Yellow">★ ★</font>
Emeritus Staff
Yepp, like china said, if they ask about teamwork and you give them an example of when you were a nurse, your nursing experiences would've helped with your interview. It'll probably also help with the why not nursing question :p

you'll have to show them that you know why you're doing medicine on your own though, I don't know how a comment like 'because I did nursing and realised that doctoring is a lot better' will help unless you can explain why it was better for you.

teenib

Only if used intelligently, like any other relevant previous experience. A nursing background doesn't necessarily guarantee insight, so it's essential you can talk the talk AND walk the walk.
So so so true. One of my interviewers said to me "what don't you think nurses are good enough"

I went down the line of wanting to be able to do the most for the most people and realising my full potential.

I think it also helped in that I had a good awareness of what my desicion making skills are and how I go about making desicions.

Apparently it worked because I got in

jazza2010

Lurker
Other Category

Hi
Im an Anaesthetic Technician and a volunteer ambulance officer and am just putting the finishing touches for my application in the "Other" category for Otago.
My opinion which is also shared by many of the doctors that I work with is that given my experience, I know what Im in for, I should also be able to relate some of the material to what I have seen in the hospital as well.
I've been wanting to do this for years- just hope that the admissions committee can look past some of the papers I've failed and look more at the ones i have done well in and my life experience.

FOOBA

Hi, I am a nurse and interviewed in the other catgeory for otago (still don't know the outcome of that!) but I did utilize my nursing experience (carefully). The scope of nurses and doctors is clearly different, nurses are at the bedside and really do spend far more time with patients than doctors. However, if you want to direct the care of your patients and you have a passion for diagnostics then it will nearly impossible to use that in the nursing field. I brought my nursing experience into the interview in questions such as, "tell me about a time when you....." (fill in the blank: worked with different cultures? made a mistake? etc).

The thing i dont like about nursing is that there is ALWAYS medical dominance. That is why you should do nursing to get into medicine because nursing is a 'cruisey degree' in my opinion. Nursing experience would be beneficial because if your on the ward, most nurses know the signs and symptoms but dont know the pathophysiology behind it. But depends what speciality of nursing you get into.