Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Elective Student 2011 UK

Rinkecca

Lurker
Hi everyone!
I'm in 4th year at the moment at Manchester University. I'm heading to Melbourne next year for m 8 week elective. I've been placed at the Royal Melbourne Hospital. I'm really excited. I'm doing Respiratory & Emergency Medicine.
I was wondering if anyone had anyadvice regarding accommodation? I think I'm keen to share a flat or so for the 2 months. Any suggestions?

Lozzy

smilee ☺ <font color="Yellow">★ ★</font>
Emeritus Staff
oh wow hi! (hehe this will sound really silly but i just realised that the 'going overseas for electives' wors both ways, and that people get excited about going to australia).

Welcome to mso and australia :)

Sharing a flat will probably be the best idea, probably go somewhere near the hospital.

theangelofdarkness

International Member of Mystery
Emeritus Staff
I would advise looking at the university's website. This is an elective only, right? If it were possible you may (highlighting MAY) be able to swap places with another student who will be away for a brief period - I think that rural students often go away for eight weeks or else other students on elective?

Good luck!

lordgarlic

MSO Kiwi #1
Emeritus Staff
I would advise looking at the medsoc websites for melbourne (UMMSS or something) and Monash universities and say you are looking for a room. Usually people who go away on electives are keen to rent their rooms out. Right now I'm in Brisbane on my elective and got a room that way

chimny

Lurker
In my opinion - (if you have the option and the $$) - try find accomodation near the alfred/city - melbourne's big and you dont want to spend 2 hours on a bus+train+tram combination to and from work every day

Enjoy your stay :)

Jackie

=D
Emeritus Staff
Welcome to mso!
As to accommodation, I agree with chimny, close to the city is what you want.

scarah

Hi everyone!
I'm in 4th year at the moment at Manchester University. I'm heading to Melbourne next year for m 8 week elective. I've been placed at the Royal Melbourne Hospital. I'm really excited. I'm doing Respiratory & Emergency Medicine.
I was wondering if anyone had anyadvice regarding accommodation? I think I'm keen to share a flat or so for the 2 months. Any suggestions?

Congrats, you'll have a great time. RMH is a great hospital and location just near Melbourne University on the north fringe of the city centre. I would suggest looking for accommodation on the surrounding suburbs or places on a direct tram route to the hospital (North Melbourne, Carlton, Flemmington, Parkville, West Melbourne, Brunswick, Moonee Ponds) but these suburbs can be expensive and in general accommodation in Melbourne is getting harder and harder to find, make sure whatever you find is close to public transport (google maps or similar can help here). Your best bet is probably finding a room in an established share house, try getting in contact with the medical student society at Melbourne Uni as they may be able to put the word out for you. Otherwise try websites like Gumtree.

Make sure you have temporary accommodation worked out for when you first arrive if you don't get a room sorted straight away. There is a YHA hostel in North Melbourne which is quite close.

It might be worth looking into some of the private run student apartment accommodation. In particular RMIT village is basically across the road from RMH - these are popular with international students attending several of the Universities in melbourne but tend to be a bit more expensive than private rental.

The housing service from the Uni of Melbourne provides some good general information on their website. Once you arrive you'll be able to visit them and see their accommodation ads but you won't have access online to them at the moment.

In my opinion - (if you have the option and the $$) - try find accomodation near the alfred/city - melbourne's big and you dont want to spend 2 hours on a bus+train+tram combination to and from work every day

Enjoy your stay :)

Um... read the post, it's RMH not the Alfred and the Alfred Hospital is the other side of the city to RMH.

Rinkecca

Lurker
Thank you!

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the delayed reply. I want to say thanks for all of the replies. Everyone has been really useful & given me some good advice. I'm on holiday right now so it gives me a while to think about my elective next year. I'm going to look into all of the possibilities mentioned.

Just got to pass finals now! haha