Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

enrolling @ GU

premed312

i've just been enrolling online at GU dent...but can't seem to get an "reasonable" timetable schedule - soo fustrating!
(- i got like class then 3hr break then class then 3hr break in one day)

Is there an easier way to get the a descent timetable without doing a dozen of trial/retrials..?
as in is there any way to get timetable shown pictorally rather than just a bunch of times/dates only to find out once you enroll that your classes are everywhere with 3hr breaks...????

Any help will be much appreciated.

Kapinny

do what i did and got .....y to help me :)
further...... is anyone stayin at metro on central????????

Shizzy

Staff
Administrator
OK I'll post my basic guide for working out a decent timetable since I cant walk every Griffith student through it, haha. They obviously need a better system.

I'm just going to copy paste what I said in other threads and some PMs.

What you should do is first plan your timetable, as ill now explain, and then enter the course codes you pick into the enrolment cart on Griffith portal. Once you have finished your cart you can enrol and then later change if you so choose. Keep checking timetables as after second round offers (and even a few weeks into uni) people will drop out.

Ok so to find out the courses you need to do you go to your program structure page:
For Dent: Here
For Med Sci: Here

Ok luckily you guys have 4 courses the same, these are the Foundation Year of Health courses. (1006PSY, 1014MSC, 1005MSC, 1013ENV)
Medical Science has one more elective that you'll need to find the code for.

Now the easiest way to figure this out is go to: Here (time table search)
Enter your 4 (or 5) codes (ie: 1006PSY) into this form. Make sure semester 1 and Gold Coast are selected. Now search.

OK dont freak out from the huge mess you see. Each of your subjects is colour coded and at the bottom of the page you'll see a visual of the timetable. Go Down to the bottom, just above the timetable grid, and click Clear All Checkboxes and then click Update timetable grid. This will give you a clean slate to work with. Ok now, for each subject you'll see a list of lectures, tutorials and labs. Lectures are in bold. You have to select (click checkbox) of one lecture group for each subject. Then you'll have to pick one lab and one tute (if the subject has both) for each subject. I recommend you pick lectures first as you can work tutes out around them. Make sure the classes you pick are still marked as Open. Now this will take some time but as you check boxes, click update grid again to see if it all fits nicely. After many hours you'll find something good. Its very important to note that not all lectures/labs are in every week. It says in the right most column what weeks they are in. You'll notice that the labs for 1013ENV 1014MSC and 1005MSC are all in different weeks and as such they can be overlapped at the same time on your timetable.

Here is an example timetable I made for Kavin: (Note this is for med sci so it has an additional subject. Dent students have it easier)
Example

Other things to note are that drop in tutes and workshops are non compulsory classes that are there to help people catch up. It is likely that you over achievers will never go to these. The only compulsory classes are tutes and labs though you will want to go to lectures (most of the time).

Once you find a time table that works well for you, make note of the lecture codes (this is the primary class) and also the tutorial and lab codes. You will use these codes to enroll in Griffith Portal. Now after all this, if you still can't work it out, Griffith sent out some basic instructions in the enrollment pack. There are also some general guides on the site. If it is still too hard to work out there are people at the uni during orientation week (and possibly before) there to help you enrol.

Good luck. :lol:

Boris999

OK I'll post my basic guide for working out a decent Other things to note are that drop in tutes and workshops are non compulsory classes that are there to help people catch up. It is likely that you over achievers will never go to these. The only compulsory classes are tutes and labs though you will want to go to lectures (most of the time).

You said there that tutes are not compulsory and then you said that they are :huh:

But yea good guide, helped me a lot. Also, are the non-compulsory classes, non-compalsory in the fact that they are 100% repeating stuff from the "compulsory" classes and you can get by without ever really attending them aslong as you pay attention in the compulsory classes?

Shizzy

Staff
Administrator
You said there that tutes are not compulsory and then you said that they are :huh:

But yea good guide, helped me a lot. Also, are the non-compulsory classes, non-compalsory in the fact that they are 100% repeating stuff from the "compulsory" classes and you can get by without ever really attending them aslong as you pay attention in the compulsory classes?

Drop in Tutes and regular tutes are different. I know it sounds a bit contradictory.

A drop in tute is basicly a lecture where you can ask questions and they are answered by the lecturer. A proper tute is a small class of 20ish students.

And yeah non-compulsory classes basicly repeat things. They'll let you know what you don't need to attend during orientation.

gofa

hey shizzy,
i managed to fix up my whole timetable, back from scratch, now its much better

thanks for the help!!:)

premed312

thx heaps Shizzy for the info...things are much clearer now.
now the only problem is that all the "good" times are full...so still kinda stuck with a 'crap' timetable...
anyway it was much better than the previous thx heaps

l2009

Other things to note are that drop in tutes and workshops are non compulsory classes that are there to help people catch up. It is likely that you over achievers will never go to these. The only compulsory classes are tutes and labs though you will want to go to lectures (most of the time).

Omg, are you serious? Zzz, it's time to re-do my timetable haha. No way I'm going to bother with workshops and drop-in tutes, I've spent enough time last year with biology and stuff -_-

And thanks heaps for your advice Shizzy, much appreciated ^_^

premed312

also does anyone have a "good/descent" timetable >>>>that you would like to share with me??? (print screen)
...b/c although good classes might be full now it may be re-open as ppl drop their offers so then i might then be able to "copy" your timetalbe...??

thx