Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Entrance Pathways into Optometry

HSC2019

Lurker
Hey
I'm completing my HSC this year and I was looking to gain entry into B Actuary/Science with a major in vision science, later hoping to do Optometry
I have a predicted atar of about 98.2 so I should get an offer
Is completing this degree equivalent to that of B Vision Science? If not, will I gain exemptions for subjects completed and have years taken off the course?
Thanks in advance for your help

Asterion

UQ BDSc I
I may be incorrect, but after some research, it appears to me that completing a BSc with a vision science major will not make you eligible to apply for the Master of Clinical Optometry after graduation.

The Q&A section of this page states:

"As of 2017 the Bachelor of Science (3970) or Advanced Science (3962) with a major in Vision Science are no longer used as an alternative pathway into optometry."

Amyyy_s

Lurker
So I live at Melbourne and I’m a third year student doing bachelor of health science at deakin. I started researching what career I’d like to do after this, and I came to the final decision to do optometry. It’s like my dream course right now.
However my wam is in the 50s atm because I’ve been slacking off uni and not taking it seriously. Ugh I’m kicking myself. But I know that when I really put my head into studying I’m capable of doing really great.
When I checked the requirements for doctor of optometry, they listed that an undergraduate degree needs to be done as well as gamsat and a few biological sciences subjects they want.
Since my wam is pretty shit, would you guys recommend me applying for another course next trimester and starting fresh to get a higher wam, OR just continue this course even tho it’s got a low wam?
And keep in mind that I won’t be actually graduating this year, I have one more unit to do next year trimester 1, so if I wanted to apply for optometry it has to be for 2022. So I was thinking it maybe would be better to start another course like bachelor of science instead of waiting till 2022 to finish this course and end up not getting accepted cuz of the wam. Even tho Unimelb doesn’t have a specific wam requirement, I highly doubt Melbourne would accept me with this wam I have now since it’s so competitive, don’t you reckon?
I know deakin at geelong also has optometry but the travel would be really daunting and I wouldn’t want to stay at geelong either, Melbourne is the only option for me.
And btw, my atar was also not great, but I don’t think they’ll be considering it since it.
So what would be your advice guys, to start another course for a good wam or just continue this one and try getting high in gamsat or something? If I continue this course, do you guys think Melbourne would ever accept me with a wam in 50s?
What would you do?
Your advice would be really appreciated!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
So I live at Melbourne and I’m a third year student doing bachelor of health science at deakin. I started researching what career I’d like to do after this, and I came to the final decision to do optometry. It’s like my dream course right now.
However my wam is in the 50s atm because I’ve been slacking off uni and not taking it seriously. Ugh I’m kicking myself. But I know that when I really put my head into studying I’m capable of doing really great.
When I checked the requirements for doctor of optometry, they listed that an undergraduate degree needs to be done as well as gamsat and a few biological sciences subjects they want.
Since my wam is pretty shit, would you guys recommend me applying for another course next trimester and starting fresh to get a higher wam, OR just continue this course even tho it’s got a low wam?
And keep in mind that I won’t be actually graduating this year, I have one more unit to do next year trimester 1, so if I wanted to apply for optometry it has to be for 2022. So I was thinking it maybe would be better to start another course like bachelor of science instead of waiting till 2022 to finish this course and end up not getting accepted cuz of the wam. Even tho Unimelb doesn’t have a specific wam requirement, I highly doubt Melbourne would accept me with this wam I have now since it’s so competitive, don’t you reckon?
I know deakin at geelong also has optometry but the travel would be really daunting and I wouldn’t want to stay at geelong either, Melbourne is the only option for me.
And btw, my atar was also not great, but I don’t think they’ll be considering it since it.
So what would be your advice guys, to start another course for a good wam or just continue this one and try getting high in gamsat or something? If I continue this course, do you guys think Melbourne would ever accept me with a wam in 50s?
What would you do?

Unfortunately we don’t have much traffic from optom students. Hopefully someone can help you out though!

Perplex is a UMelb (Med) student so may have some inkling?

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
What would you do?

Hi,

First off, glad to hear that you've found a course that you are interested in.
Not that I am an optometry student, but yes I'd agree that your WAM is likely too low to be accepted into the optom course. I'm not familiar with the averages of the students who have gotten in in recent years.
I would say that if you want to do Optom then your best chance is going to be starting another degree. However, I think you need to look at whether this is viable for you. Say you don't get course credits from your current degree and instead start fresh - well that's a further 3 years of undergraduate, and assuming you get in first try, another 4 years of optom school. If you're comfortable with studying another potential 7 years then I think that looking into a new course might be an option.

As for ATAR, no unimelb do not look at your ATAR.
If you have any other questions please feel free to ask me.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey Amyyy_s - I'll just add that in optometry entry via GEMSAS, your academic score will be judged by your GPA, not your WAM. You should visit the GEMSAS website and calculate your GEMSAS GPA, and then let us know :) Effectively maintaining a high GPA is different to maintaining a high WAM because you just need to achieve subject results at 80% or above to receive a 7.0 in each subject; hypothetically a student could have a 95 WAM but still have a GPA below 7.0, whereas another student could hypothetically have a WAM of exactly 80 yet have a perfect GPA. It would be good to keep this in mind should you choose to study another degree.

Regarding performing further study (if it's necessary), I am of the belief that all degrees should be completed on their own merits. As not all optometry applicants are successful at gaining entry, it's important that you have an alternative career option, should you not gain entry into optometry. If I were you I'd have this in mind when you select an alternative degree.

I'd also recommend you sign up to PagingDr - there is a lot of information about preparation for GAMSAT on there which may assist you, and there are probably a few optometrists you could get in touch with on there too if you're lucky.

Best of luck :)

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads