Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS MBBS: Interstate Entry Requirements

nabey1

Hey guys!
If anyone has received a UTAS offer - make sure you join the 'UTAS MBBS Class of 2021' page on facebook (tends to become a great hub for sharing resources).
See you all in O-Week
Tash
TUMSS SWO
MBBS III

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey guys!
If anyone has received a UTAS offer - make sure you join the 'UTAS MBBS Class of 2021' page on facebook (tends to become a great hub for sharing resources).
See you all in O-Week
Tash
TUMSS SWO
MBBS III

@nabey1 hello!

Beware poking your head up here, because there are quite a few UTAS hopefuls (myself included) who are very confused about the way offers have rolled out and we are likely to jump all over you with our questions as Admissions and the School of Med have not been very helpful! Are you happy for us to throw some your way, and if you can (and/or don't mind) answering them, all well and good, if you can't (and/or don't want to), that is also fine!

Also, of the people who have posted UTAS offers here at MSO, only one appears not to have received an alternative (and preferred) offer to date, so, unless there are lurkers (which is entirely possible) there might not be many MSO takers (yet) re. joining the Facebook page.

nabey1

@nabey1 hello!

Beware poking your head up here, because there are quite a few UTAS hopefuls (myself included) who are very confused about the way offers have rolled out and we are likely to jump all over you with our questions as Admissions and the School of Med have not been very helpful! Are you happy for us to throw some your way, and if you can (and/or don't mind) answering them, all well and good, if you can't (and/or don't want to), that is also fine!

Also, of the people who have posted UTAS offers here at MSO, only one appears not to have received an alternative (and preferred) offer to date, so, unless there are lurkers (which is entirely possible) there might not be many MSO takers (yet) re. joining the Facebook page.

Hey there!
Don't worry - I've been there, happy to help!
Okay so what happened in my year (and bear in mind that things tend to change slightly every year) tassie students receive offers early (as far as I'm aware the majority of tassie offers have been released) and the majority of interstate offers are released mid-late january.
Sorry that doesn't help much! Let me know if you need anything else (sorry I don't check this often so I may not reply very frequently).
Cheers,
T

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey there!
Okay so what happened in my year (and bear in mind that things tend to change slightly every year) tassie students receive offers early (as far as I'm aware the majority of tassie offers have been released) and the majority of interstate offers are released mid-late january.
Sorry that doesn't help much! Let me know if you need anything else (sorry I don't check this often so I may not reply very frequently).
Cheers,
T

I think school leavers (both interstate and local) are pretty much sorted now re. understanding what's going on with offers, but it's us non-standards (local and interstate) who are very confused, we have people reporting UMATs at 99th percentile and others with GPAs of 7.0/7.0 who haven't heard a single word. We also know of some people who've since discovered, via their own research, that they're not even eligible for UTAS (based on lack of Chem requirement), and they've also heard nothing from UTAS informing them of this.

It's like admissions are refusing to admit we non-standards even exist!! They're repeatedly telling us that "nothing has changed for non standards" but that clearly doesn't seem to be the case when someone got first round (Dec) offer for 2016 with UMAT 89th %ile (non standard and not rural).

We are endlessly frustrated and feel like we are being led on for positions UTAS has no intention of offering to us/non standards in general).

Sorry for the rant! OMG!! And thank you so much for coming back!

nabey1

Yeah it's a bit like that unfortunately.
UTAS in my year at least had a super high emphasis on the second section of UMAT. For example a friend of mine who had a higher overall percentile than me did not get an offer but I had a much higher section 2 and did get an offer.
Sorry you guys are feeling frustrated - I really do understand how you're feeling. I wish I could help more but unfortunately that's about all the information I have - you could try calling the med admin but they're unlikely to know much about the admissions.
Sorry again & good luck,
T

Vidyaa

Hey there!
Cheers,
T
I am bit confused. So when you say they've been released early, do you mean like November/December?

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
I am bit confused. So when you say they've been released early, do you mean like November/December?
We understand that Tassie school leavers were release in Nov/December last year.

Those on the forum are mainly (overwhelmingly?) non-standards from Tassie and elsewhere.

There are rumours/hopes/expectations that there will be late offers to non-standards and possibly standards as well.... but no one is quite sure.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

The one consistent piece of information we've had is that Tassie school leaver first round offers went out the week of the 19th of December.

As @biom has mentioned, the only active, commenting people here at MSO still waiting on offers are non-standard (mature aged students). There no doubt are school leavers still waiting, but we have very little information because no one here is in that situation to share it with us :)

If you'd care to share your situation (UMAT/ATAR/Rural status/location) we'd love to help as much as we can.

Nik17

I'm a year 12 school leaver from Victoria.
My UMAT total score:193
Percentile:97
S1: 60
S2: 58
S3: 75
I read here that the S2 cut off is 60.
Does this mean that I have no chance at all?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I'm a year 12 school leaver from Victoria.
My UMAT total score:193
Percentile:97
S1: 60
S2: 58
S3: 75
I read here that the S2 cut off is 60.
Does this mean that I have no chance at all?

Yeah, in the past it’s been S2 = 60+ to be eligible. Unsure whether that will continue to be the case given the changes for 2019 entry. What’s your likely ATAR?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
>98. 3 more exams to go

I’m definitely not saying that things this year will necessarily run the same as last year but, FYI, these scores were not successful for direct entry Medicine at UTAS last year (though all received guaranteed entry via BMedRes).

99th %ile, 99.45, interstate, non rural
99th %ile, 99.35, interstate, non rural
99th %ile, 98.95, interstate, non rural
98th %ile, 99.05, interstate, non rural
97th %ile, 99.20, interstate, non rural
91st %ile, 98.65, interstate, non rural
88th %ile, 97.00+, interstate, non rural
86th %ile, 97.00, interstate, non rural
85th %ile, 99.10, interstate, non rural
95th %ile, 99.35, interstate, rural
88th %ile, 99.75, interstate, rural
83rd %ile, 99.80, interstate, non rural
79th %ile, 99.95, interstate, rural
70th %ile, 98.50, interstate, rural

Nik17

I’m definitely not saying that things this year will necessarily run the same as last year but, FYI, these scores were not successful for direct entry Medicine at UTAS last year (though all received guaranteed entry via BMedRes).
99th %ile, 99.45, interstate, non rural
99th %ile, 99.35, interstate, non rural
99th %ile, 98.95, interstate, non rural
98th %ile, 99.05, interstate, non rural
97th %ile, 99.20, interstate, non rural
91st %ile, 98.65, interstate, non rural
88th %ile, 97.00+, interstate, non rural
86th %ile, 97.00, interstate, non rural
85th %ile, 99.10, interstate, non rural
95th %ile, 99.35, interstate, rural
88th %ile, 99.75, interstate, rural
83rd %ile, 99.80, interstate, non rural
79th %ile, 99.95, interstate, rural
70th %ile, 98.50, interstate, rural
Even with such high scores? Guess S2 is the killer then. How disappointing :-( How guaranteed is BMedRes entry? Is there an interview later on?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Even with such high scores? Guess S2 is the killer then. How disappointing :-( How guaranteed is BMedRes entry? Is there an interview later on?

No. No follow up interview and no follow up UCAT. You just need to maintain a credit (I believe) average in the BMedRes degree. And if things continue as they currently are, you can continue to sit UCAT and try for competitive entry to the MBBS (and other non-standard courses: JMP, WSU, etc) before you’ve finished the BMedRes.

Also, those scores I quoted; many of them had S2 60+ and it still wasn’t enough. The point I was making is that you needed crazy high scores in both to be competitive for the VERY FEW interstate non-rural school leaver spots on offer.