Extracurricular Activities

Discussion in 'Studying Medicine' started by tod, Apr 23, 2019.

1. tod

tod New Member

1st year, I have time. What should I try to be doing other than the 'just enjoy it'. Im looking for things like trying to get research opportunities but as a 1st year it is hard. Let me know what you did in the past and what you think would be good for application cheers.

I hav 2 years previously with biomed/medical research

2. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

While I think “just enjoy it” is great advice, I wouldn’t be aiming to do activities solely for the CV boost - seek out extra things that you have a genuine interest in. The CV is a bonus.

In saying that, (in Queensland at least) the CV scoring system is made publicly available for what criteria are used to assess JMO job applications. There’s sections on research, professional development, teaching experience, academic achievements, non-academic achievements etc. I’m not sure what state you’re studying in or planning to work in, but if you’re eager to get ahead, I’d check out those for a starting point.

At my uni they’ve offered voluntary research projects to students (1st year and up) - maybe you could contact your course coordinator and see if anything is on offer. I also think there’s no harm in getting in touch with staff that research in your areas of interest to see if they’ve got anything available - the worst that can happen is that they don’t, and there’s no harm done to anyone in that situation.

3. pi

pi Junior doctor Administrar

Junior doctor
    Definitely hit up some parties and enjoy being young.