Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

First Year (FY) BHSc/BSC 2018 Chat/Enquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
I hope your tests went the way you wanted, if not, don't despair.

Here's some things to keep in perspective which might be helpful and means not getting into med isn't the end of the world;
  • Even after 6 years of med, you still do another 7-10 years of postgraduate training
  • The hours for said training are often very long and certainly not 9-5 Mon-Fri
  • Even as a Consultant you won't be working business hours unless you're a GP or in private practice
  • Although your personal income is going to be very nice; the health system will never have enough money
  • Ultimately, the overall decision makers are not the doctors, they are non-medically qualified politicians
  • Personally I have concluded the lay public have quite some unreasonable expectations about what medicine can do
  • You will always be subject to greater scrutiny and accountability than the average private citizen; you will, for your entire professional career, be subject to the professional regulatory body (Medical Council) and the standard they set. If you gaffe in your private life, it could affect your ability to renew your APC.
I was super gutted I missed out on med considering I'd wanted it for so long; I was seriously depressed for months afterwards and then it sort of hit me the more I thought about it ... the time, the lifestyle, the hours, the training, all of that stuff suddenly didn't really outweigh the positives and I've decided I'm not going to apply for postgraduate entry. I'm doing quite well in my PGDip and could do another one and very likely get in; but for what? I just don't think it'd be the right thing to do.

There are many other pathways out there; pharmacy, nursing, optom, research, public health, all sorts of things.

Hope that helped :)

chinaski

• Even as a Consultant you won't be working business hours unless you're a GP or in private practice
Actually, those in private practice often work even more haphazard hours than those in public practice - to make a living in the former, particularly when you're starting out, you need to be available and amenable - at any time of day. Similarly, your patients get sick after hours in private practice --> that's work for you to do.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi everyone,

How is everyone doing? The final exams are not too far away. I know this period can be stressful and perhaps overwhelming, but be sure to take care of yourself.

Good luck for the rest of the semester and for the final exams.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Reminder: UMAT Registrations close at 7:00PM NZST (17:00 AEST), Friday 1 June 2018. This is tomorrow.

Please don't be that one who misses the deadline. It happens, believe it or not. You wouldn't want unnecessary stress.

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
Don't worry too much guys, the 111 exam is usually pretty straightforward; I remember getting I think about 90% in it? I can't remember but I remember it wasn't crazy bad.

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
Arent there 4 papers for BHSc? Good luck with the exams Guys!

Yes, for each of the BSc (Biomedical Science) and BHSc there are four "non-core" papers. For the BHSc these are POP 101 in sem 1, and POP 102 and HP 122 in sem 2 plus the common elective paper.

Don't worry too much guys, the 111 exam is usually pretty straightforward; I remember getting I think about 90% in it? I can't remember but I remember it wasn't crazy bad.

Hey im new here,
just want to ask what you got in your test for pophlth 111? (if you're ok with sharing)
Reason is i got 60% in the test and am still pretty bummed but im not giving up just yet...
Thanks!

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hey im new here,
just want to ask what you got in your test for pophlth 111? (if you're ok with sharing)
Reason is i got 60% in the test and am still pretty bummed but im not giving up just yet...
Thanks!

Hi IgA antibodi3,

Welcome MSO!

Don't be too disheartened by the 60%. You still have opportunities to make up for it. It's best to try and put it behind you and just learn from it. Also, if you have been doing really well in other assessments, there is no reason to hang onto it. With that said, if you are consistently getting those marks, you would seriously need to step back a bit and think about improving your performance because, even though there is sufficient amount of time left, the timing is running out.

Good luck!

Fifavendetta

UoA MBChB III
If you have done enough study for 111 the exam is usually easier than the test in my opinion. Test especially rod's section can be quite challenging in the short time as the questions can be quite tricky to interpret you have but in the exam you have way more time, the concepts are a bit simpler I think but you do need to know the content quite well. This is just my personal opinion, others may think different.

People tend to find the exam easier than the test because it’s more predictable and if you put in the work, you should get a representative grade. Since the exam is worth 60% you can improve substantially on your pre exam grade. I would recommend doing the past 3/4/5 years of exams, or at least looking over them and making sure that you know the content/concepts because the format should be similar to your exam and they will very likely repeat a few questions. The Haddon matrix contributes 20% of the exam, so make sure you know how to do that, PPV,Sensivity,PAR etc will also be examined so make sure you know those concepts. There’s other things that you need to know but past exams will show you how they like to assess things, and being able to apply concepts is key, as well as rote learning a few lists.

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
Hey im new here,
Thanks!

I got a B or B+ from memory; whatever that equaled. I did quite well in the exam and ended up getting an A- overall.

The exam is quite straightforward; especially Modules 3 and 4, the lecturer (I forget her name) basically puts a yellow star beside everything you need to know. From memory; Haddon Matrix, Maori health models, MPOWER tobacco control, and a few other things.

Good luck guys ... I'm finishing up the first half of my PGDip in PubH this week and man, I'm exhausted.

If you guys want to chill and have a chat/coffee during the hols as a bit of a breather feel free to let me hook you up.

Thanks a lot for the reply's guys!
Just to give you an indication i h ave been getting around b+ for biosci 101 and 107 and a for chem test 1 and a- for chem test 2. I've looked over 2017 and 2016 poplhlth papers will probably go over another two with some mates to get some collective understanding.

Right? Even though this sounds mean, I'm thankful I'm not the only one who felt stupid after that. 111 seemed okay but Im not sure if they're looking for any particular criteria or anything when they mark the answers but I blanked out on a 2 mark question but hopefully the rest went fine? Fingers crossed!

I hate how the exams are so close to each other frick

Status
Not open for further replies.