First Year (FY) BHSc/BSC 2018 Chat/Enquiry

Discussion in 'First Year Category' started by Blueglacier, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Blueglacier

Blueglacier :)

Right? Even though this sounds mean, I'm thankful I'm not the only one who felt stupid after that. 111 seemed okay but Im not sure if they're looking for any particular criteria or anything when they mark the answers but I blanked out on a 2 mark question but hopefully the rest went fine? Fingers crossed!

I hate how the exams are so close to each other frick

2. molive

molive New Member

Wasn't it multi choice?

3. Fifavendetta

Fifavendetta UoA MBChB II

only one more core exam guys, youre almost there!

7staroperetta and zetatia19 like this.
  4. Blueglacier

111 isn't multichoice, but 107 is.

5. IgA antibodi3

IgA antibodi3 New Member

i think in terms of easiness 111>110>>>107
    110 wasn't too bad u just had to know your stuff :)
    only 101 and we out!

Rangatiratanga and MsLouise like this.
  6. Fifavendetta

damn what did they do to you guys in 107?

7. IgA antibodi3

IgA antibodi3 New Member

i dont think it was that bad it was just more difficult than the previous 107 exams and compared to the other exams
    like blood and immune was especially hard...
    just gotta keep moving forward i guess

8. 7staroperetta

7staroperetta UoA BHSc

Does anyone have notes for poplhlth 102 and hlthpsych that they would kindly like to share to me through DM. Thanks in advance

9. Rangatiratanga

Rangatiratanga New Member

No notes to give sorry (because I just annotated slides, and have recycled the notes my friends gave me). Just warning you that 122 is a fantastically tedious paper because the lecturers just read off the slides. I also found that I didn't need to do the readings in order to get a good grade, and the MST was fairly easy (class average approx. 76%) , but the exam requires more study. There is also quite a bit of memorisation involved so if you want to do well then you do need to rote learn slides. The tutorials are also important as they can be assessed.
    102 is similar to 101 in terms of essay marking etc, and it's also run by the same people. The main advantage of 102, however, is that the lecturer is really good.
    Hope that helps,
    And congrats to all of you for finishing the hardest part of the year (sem 1)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    7staroperetta likes this.
  10. 7staroperetta

7staroperetta UoA BHSc

Thank you very much

11. distressedconcur

distressedconcur New Member

I found 107 okay, the difficulty I think may have been the wording. Blood and immune questions were nearly all ‘pick the BEST answer’ which is harder cause there are partial truths in the other 3 options. I felt that chem110 was harder than 107, but only because I find it particularly boring and unrelatable. Poplhlth111 was hard only because there was so much to write and even in the 3hrs given I wish I had more time to review my answers. BIOSCI101 was by far the easiest. Most likely because it’s a non-core and I was less anxious.

Anyways, UMAT is nearly upon us - any tips for prep?

12. Fifavendetta

definitely do the practice test they give you and try find some other questions to do. Some practice does help you improve as it gives you an idea of what they will ask and how and helps you improve especially for section 3. I personally didnt buy any of the courses so cant really comment on those but I did fine without them.

My biggest tip for umat is time management though more than preparing, doing the test in 3 hours isnt a lot of time for the number and difficulty of some of the questions which means that a lot of people run out of time. Make sure you work out what time on average you can spend on each questions (I think its like 134 marks in 180min) and try not to go much over that if a question is taking you ages. Generally you can narrow down the options to 2-3 options and imo its much better to guess from those 3 and finish the whole test than to spend a lot of time on the harder questions miss some of the easier ones and only finish like 100 marks.

Overall try do some practice but its much more important to relax and unwind during this break then prepare tons for umat, this is the last really break you will get till the end of semester 2 especially since the medsci 142 test is usually the first week you get back from mid semester break of semester 2.

13. IgA antibodi3

IgA antibodi3 New Member

speaking of notes.. does anyone have any medsci 142 notes or tips that they could send me!
    would be greatly appreciated.
    hopefully i can get a decent umat score but i dont think that weighs too much overall

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  14. Fifavendetta

yeah overall umat does not too much of an effect because they use raw score and typically there is not a large variation in raw score amongst people

(Typo edited by LMG)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
    zetatia19 likes this.
  15. 7staroperetta

7staroperetta UoA BHSc

I was wondering what the format for the first medsci test and the final medsci exam is. is the test mcq and the final exam short answers?

16. Fifavendetta

There are two mcq tests; one that I think is usually first weeek back from mid semester break on the first half of the course and a 2nd test near the end of the semester on the 2nd half of the course. Then the final exam is short answer from the whole course.

17. 7staroperetta

7staroperetta UoA BHSc

I was wondering if there are help sessions for medsci 142 after the lectures

18. Fifavendetta

dont think so but its a very well taught and organised course and they have active tutors on piazza that are quite helpful

19. Blueglacier

Is the medsci course guide any helpful or are the slides better?

20. Fifavendetta

course guide is pretty good for most modules