Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

First Year (FY) BHSc/BSC 2018 Chat/Enquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

To study resp my main advice is to understand concepts, don't just learn the concepts from the lectures of the textbook. If you feel like you don't understand what 'compliance of the chest wall' means, then don't be afraid to google some other sites/use youtube videos to understand these concepts.

I've forgotten all my respiratory physiology now, but when I studied it, I understood all the concepts. It made revising for the exam and the exam itself easy, because I actually understood the concepts. Not trying to brag (because I've forgotten it), but resp physiology is very conceptual, and everyone needs a different amount of time to understand it. You do need to memorise certain things as well, but you must understand it. Other modules of Medsci - it's just memorise, memorise, memorise.

Thank you :)

Also i am finding it difficult to learn from my mistakes from the medsci 142 test. This is because we are not given the actual questions back and I have forgetten most of the questions. So how can I learn from the feedback? Thanks in advance

Pump

Also i am finding it difficult to learn from my mistakes from the medsci 142 test. This is because we are not given the actual questions back and I have forgetten most of the questions. So how can I learn from the feedback? Thanks in advance

They give you what the question was about right? You can read around the topic to consolidate your learning

laserwise

UoA MBChB II

If there's anything you're really unsure about, I went to one of the half-hour sessions Angela kindly offers up, so you could always give that a go! She was super helpful even though my questions were pretty atypical.

Pump yes. For me its just that it takes a long time to really find out but I have no choice. I do understand why they just don't show us the question again though. I will definitely re-visit the content (with the specific topics in mind) and see where I possibly went wrong. Thanks for your advice

laserwise I went to see Angela because I did poorly in the heart lab. She was really nice and extremely helpful (I hoped you thought this too when you met with her). I learned from my mistakes. As well as revisiting the content and think about how I got something wrong, do you suggest that I see her again about this matter? Thank you

laserwise

UoA MBChB II
laserwise I went to see Angela because I did poorly in the heart lab. She was really nice and extremely helpful (I hoped you thought this too when you met with her). I learned from my mistakes. As well as revisiting the content and think about how I got something wrong, do you suggest that I see her again about this matter? Thank you[/QUOTE]

Yeah! The learning process in the short two and a half a hours in the lab is very different to how you would learn the material for the test and exam - you've got so much more time to gain a wider and deeper conceptual understanding as well as picking up on more details and being able to revise these. I went to her after we had completed the mock test which I had done quite well in and still found her very helpful (and yes, I 100% agree with you, she was really nice and gave specific tips which was really cool), so I'm sure you'd be able to gain some nuggets of knowledge, especially because the feedback you should take from the test is not only what you don't know, but how you should change your approach to learning the content.

Personally, the way I like to revise for MEDSCI is gaining a conceptual understanding of the topics first rather than memorising straight off the bat - of course there are some exceptions to this such as repro where I found the majority of the content had no connection to anything else. Angela will probably tell you this too - we're so used to memorising and regurgitating all throughout high school and even first semester, but understanding why things happen and how those effects are linked to other parts of the body system is really important. I've been sick for a week, and did no medsci study for the four days leading up to the test, but ended up doing better while sick in the real test than my mock test because I'd retained the concepts throughout the semester, and had time to fine-tune a little during the break. If I had memorised the content, I'd have been screwed.

If you wanted any other advice from a fellow first year student, feel free to hit me up!

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
If anybody wants meet up and do some interview chat/prep or even just general listening/shout things at me from stress I'm down for that.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Application question: For the character count, are spaces included?
Also, what happens if you exceed it?

You cannot exceed the count. They have programmed such that it is not possible. I think the textbox recognises it and deletes any 1500/2500+n characters.

John_Cena

Hey guys, so took a massive L with test 2 and need minimum 216/228 in the final exam although Angela has hinted on some scaling since only 59% people actually passed the test. Is 216 do-able what any words of wisdom you guys have for the big bad exam?

Bananana

Lurker
Just for your reference, last year's top mark was 212 while the UQ was just above 200.
I'm guessing you mean to say you need a minimum of 216/228 for an A+? Although getting a A+ is a good thing to achieve, the grades are still weighed relatively to your cohort so it may still not be too bad if you don't get an A+ if your cohort really did badly this year.
Try last years exam if you haven't and see around what mark you get to give you a better gauge.
I found past papers really helpful. If you really want to get the top grades for the exam, I suggest looking at the readings for each lecture as well (The digestive part of the exam last year had some questions about information in the readings).

Good luck for the exam!

Hi,
I understand this forum is around medicine. However i have questions regarding Pharmacy.

Does anyone know roughly the cutoff GPA for getting an interview for Pharmacy?

And possible GPAs of successful applicants from recent years?

Thank you in advance

Hi,
I understand this forum is around medicine. However i have questions regarding Pharmacy.

Does anyone know roughly the cutoff GPA for getting an interview for Pharmacy?

And possible GPAs of successful applicants from recent years?

Thank you in advance

Not sure if they have released the cutoff, you could try emailing them

Status
Not open for further replies.