First Year (FY) BHSc/BSC 2018 Chat/Enquiry

Discussion in 'First Year Category' started by Blueglacier, Aug 15, 2017.

1. 7staroperetta

7staroperetta UoA BHSc

Oh right that makes sense. Or else a majority of people will leave after the med part of it

Blueglacier likes this.
  2. Blueglacier

Blueglacier :)

Did anyone go to the admissions lecture yesterday, and was anything useful saids

7staroperetta likes this.
  3. Kiwiology

Kiwiology MSO Lawyer

Last year the admissions lecture in Sem 1 told us nothing we didn't already know; the lecture later on in the year was super helpful about the MMI and stuff; they had examples of previous questions and whatnot. Dr John Monigatti was so nice.

I basically ignored everything about BOptom and BPharm and just listened to Med. Oh how foolish of me. Cos now I know absolutely nothing about the degree I got an offer for!

It's not all bad tho; I did discover a secret reasonably good interest in Public Health during First Year. The problem is tho poor people don't have the money to be healthy .... and I have too much money so am also not healthy cos I eat bad food cos I live by a 24 hr Countdown and 24 hr McDonalds. Clearly the answer is to have some money, but not too much. #PhDThesisRightThere or what :p

If anybody is doing BHSc and wants help with POP 101 assignment hit me up I think I got all A range grades for those.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    heartley and 7staroperetta like this.
  4. Blueglacier

Does anyone have an idea of how to approach poplhlth111? Is reading the GATE notes and having a good understand of them and how to apply them enough or do we need any other stuff?

5. 7staroperetta

7staroperetta UoA BHSc

For me I am focusing on the gate notes and applying them for this section at least.

6. Fifavendetta

Fifavendetta UoA MBChB II

For rod Jackson the gate notes are pretty useful. You make sure you really understand the differences between studies and the resulting strengths and weaknesses etc because the questions he asks especially in the mid semester test are quite tricky and require a lot of understanding.

For every other section after Rod's you basically need memorise the lecture sides. Basically most of the rest of the course requires a lot of rote learning to get a good mark in the test and especially the final exam saqs.

Blueglacier and 7staroperetta like this.
  7. Rangatiratanga

Rangatiratanga Member

In my experience the GATE notes are essential to doing well in module 1. They are certainly more important than Rod’s lectures which are basically a discursive yarn, that occasionally give context to the GATE notes. The vast majority of the questions Rod assessed us on were answered by the GATE notes, but there were a few which contained content specific to the lectures, so I still advise going to them.
    I also recommend that you read the GATE notes and attend Rod’s office hours with questions to clarify points that you don’t understand. I did this last year and found it very helpful.

Module 1 is tested in quite a conceptual way in the mid sem test, and I found that I sometimes had to infer the correct answer for a question based on understanding, rather than anything we had been explicitly told in class. To do well you need to have a good understanding of concepts and know their important details.

Also make sure that you know how to age standardise properly because it will be assessed.

To do well in the 111 exam just do the past 4/5 years of past papers and if you can answer all the questions you should be well placed to succeed

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    7staroperetta and Blueglacier like this.
  8. Kiwiology

Kiwiology MSO Lawyer

Yeah for Rod's section it's the GATE notes but the concepts seem so easy but the questions can be really crazy hard like I think Dennis writes them (and he's a straight up jerk). Some of the questions have like two paragraphs of reading and the answer hinges on some minute detail in one of the paragraphs, and it's the same with the numbers questions, some of them hinge on fine detail in the questions.

The test is quite stressful cos they combined Test 1 and Test 2 last year (don't know if still the same this year?) and some of the large material questions take quite a bit of reading to understand. I hope for your guys sake they have two tests again.

The practice test is so much easier than the real test unless they made it harder.

7staroperetta and Blueglacier like this.
  9. Fifavendetta

111 is definitely the most "different" core course compared to high school and I did neglect it a bit last year which definitely resulting in me getting a lower mark in it compared to my other coures. Overall if you want an A+ in it its the same for all of the cores, just stay on the top of the work and make sure you thoroughly understand all the content you've learnt at the end of every week. I found that is the best way to ensure you don't fall behind

10. Blueglacier

Brent copp doesn't seem like a happy man

Never mind, i like him a lot!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  11. 7staroperetta

7staroperetta UoA BHSc

I like his humour (relatively speaking)

Blueglacier likes this.
  12. Rangatiratanga

Rangatiratanga Member

Enjoy Brent Copp while you have him! He's one of the best lecturers in FY

Blueglacier and 7staroperetta like this.
  13. Fifavendetta

all the chem 110 lecturers last year were very good I found, probably the best run course after medsci 142

14. Blueglacier

We've only had him for a day and I can't wait to see him again in block 4(?)
    I love love love him hahahi was telling my friend he's probably going to be my favourite of the ueay

15. Fifavendetta

Peter Riordan is still the GOAT IMO

16. Blueglacier

Is he in Biosci or medsci?

17. kiwiholic

kiwiholic New Member

he does musculoskeletal for medsci and then in MBCHB2

18. Kiwiology

Kiwiology MSO Lawyer

When you can't even escape Rod Jackson in postgrad ....

upload_2018-3-14_14-35-31.png

Also I love Brent Copp. He is GOAT. I'd pay cash money to see him again.

I reckon Andrew Shelling is GOAT for Medsci - he is so inappropriate but it's funny,

19. Clav

Clav Otago MB ChB II Gunner

Former Med Lab Scientist
    that way of laying out the GATE frame triggers my Otago brain

[​IMG]

7staroperetta and acbard9 like this.
  20. Fifavendetta

What degree are you doing Kiwiology?