First Year (FY) BHSc/BSC 2018 Chat/Enquiry

Discussion in 'First Year Category' started by Blueglacier, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Fifavendetta

Fifavendetta UoA MBChB II

I think the way I used the mid semester breaks was to a hammer home the finer details. At least, imo most people who are trying to get into med understand the broad concepts covered in most papers but what really helps you get A+ is getting the smaller details as well especially to help you with the tricky MCQ's they throw at you in 107 and medsci 142 in semester 2.

Its a good idea to do the practice tests early to see if there are and major errors you struggle with so you can spend some serious time focusing on that and also to give you and idea of the questions they like to ask and then I like to go through ever lecture again and try to teach it to myself from memory and what I can't remember go through that again.

Also and probably most importantly, you guys should take a break at least on Easter weekend and remember not to study for the whole holidays. Try to catch up with your friends you haven't had as much time for, spend some time with your family and just generally spend some time relaxing and unwinding from a busy and stressful few weeks. Try to take care of yourselves properly because it can be easy to get wrapped up in your goal of med, I know I certainly did at times and this will be your guys last chance to have a proper break at least till the end of semester.

Enjoy your break everyone and good luck!

7staroperetta likes this.
  2. Pump

Pump Regular Member

preach.

You have 6 or so weeks now to wrap up 3 of the 4 core papers - take a rest now, smash them in the 2nd quarter of the year!! You want to give it your all now :) so make sure to take a break and dont get tooooo caught up in the mad buzz of study (easier said than done, I know)

3. hotcrossbun

hotcrossbun New Member

What would you guys say is a strong mark range to get in CHEM 110 test 1? What are the class averages like? Thanks

4. Rangatiratanga

Rangatiratanga New Member

Last year the class average was 86%, significantly higher than in previous years. They may have changed the the test so it is more difficult this year, but Chem 110 is a fair paper so if you are doing well in the practice tests they give you, and understand the content and its’ application you should be sweet.

“Strong Mark range” is an ambiguous term, just do your best in the test

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    7staroperetta and greengem like this.
  5. greengem

greengem Regular Member

I got 100% in test 1 and ended up with an overall A+ in that paper along with 107 and didn't get into med, so there is no such thing as a "strong mark range" when going for med. Just go hard and aim for A+ in everything, better safe than sorry. You really don't want to end up having to do well in another 16 papers to get into med rather than just 4 in the first year. For chem practice practice practice! for 107 memorise memorise memorise! Wishing you all the success and luck ahead! Good luck for those tests, smash them!

6. Blueglacier

Blueglacier :)

Does anyone have any practice papers for the mid-semester test for 111 or have any idea when they'll release their mock one?

7. Pump

Pump Regular Member

there's no legitimate past papers for 111 - there's some from the tutoring companies but they're not 100% accurate because they're just trying to remember from their own test. It's best to just learn and then memorise the GATE notes ... then quiz the shit out of it with your friends

Blueglacier likes this.
  8. Blueglacier

Do they ask random questions like "why are dotted lines used instead of solid lines?" or is it more they give you a scenario, tell you to hang it on the GATE frame, and ask you to calculate stuff?

9. Fifavendetta

I cant really remember specific questions they asked but especially for module 1 heavily use the gate notes because most of the questions will be about your ability to understand the concepts you have learn and transfer that to some studies you'll have never seen before.

10. Rangatiratanga

They tend to ask “which of the following is false/true” and they they give you 5 possible answers for each question. In my experience, aside from age-standardisation, there was very little math in Rod Jackson’s section, although you do need to be able to interpret studies and calculate the relevant units (EGO/CGO etc). I don’t think anyone can specifically remember the questions, but make sure that you read and understand the gate notes because almost all of his questions come from there. You will be asssesed on topics like: PECOT, Meausures of risk (RD/RR etc.), confidence intervals, different study types etc.

Dan Exeter’s section is definitely the easier part of the test, but they do like to test obscure things like Lorenz curves (gini co-efficients) and they love inserting a question on calculating “extremal quotients” which was the worst answered question in module 2 with a 50% correct answer rate. NZ DEP and the built environment are also important. I found the practice tests for Dan Exeter’s section to be relatively similar to what I encountered in the test. For Dan’s section you basically just have to memorise lists.

Make sure you know how to do all the skills they teach you in workshops: age-standardisation, ethnicity coding etc. because they will be assessed, and are easy marks if you know how to do them.

Blueglacier likes this.
  11. Kiwiology

Kiwiology MSO Lawyer

I know a lot of Rod Jackon's stuff seems like BS cos it's very different than say CHEM or BIO but it's actually legit important to know how to read a scientific study and analyse whether it's rubbish or not. The rest of POP 111 is really super interesting and very helpful to know.

12. Clav

Clav Otago MB ChB II Gunner

Former Med Lab Scientist
    from the sounds of things you guys are doing some sort of epidemiology paper? If so I found this channel quite good last year for quick run downs/reminders on concepts... maybe some of you will find it useful too.

Terry Shaneyfelt

13. Blueglacier

Yep, your guys' version of PUBH191 haha

14. Kiwiology

Kiwiology MSO Lawyer

It might seem a bit like pulling teeth but PubH can be more effective at "doing good" than clinical medicine. If I was a cardiothoracic surgeon and replaced some bloke's mitral valve after he got regurg from rheumatic heart disease that's good, but if I worked at the population level and prevented a whole swag of people getting rheumatic fever then that's much better.

Also PubH > Pharmacy :p

15. Fifavendetta

Good luck for your tests over the next couple of week guys. Its gonna be a busy and stressful time so try remember to take good care of yourself; eat well, get some exercise, take some study breaks and most importantly get plenty of sleep

7staroperetta and Clav like this.
  16. hotcrossbun

hotcrossbun New Member

Hey guys, were your biosci107 questions last year written by Suzanne? I think I heard they were, what were they like? I'm really nervous about what to expect as past papers have a been written by a different lecturer and I don't know what to expect.

17. Rangatiratanga

I do not remember Suzanne writing questions for our test/exam, but somebody else may know different. I remember that Suzanne made new lecturers give us sample questions for the test/exam so I hope that she has done that this year. 107 lecturers almost always test you off the slides/course book so if you know those you should be sweet.

18. Fifavendetta

No Suzanne didnt lecture us last year but she is this year. I imagine if her questions were going to be wildly different to last years she would give you some examples so I would just last years as a basis for your study or at least your knowledge. As was said above 107 questions involve a lot of recall from the slides so those are probably your best resource

19. Blueglacier

Hey guys, any advice/tips for chem tomorrow?

20. Rangatiratanga

Make sure that you manage your time appropriately, because I know some people who found chem tests time pressured. Attempt all questions, even if you only half-know the answer, because chem are good in giving partial marks for working. Also try not to stress unduly, just focus on trying your best, and remember that a 15% test is not going to determine whether you get into med or not (it is always good to get high marks though because it can take stress off later assessments).