First Year (FY) BHSc/BSC 2019 Chat/Enquiry

Discussion in 'First Year Category' started by Stuart, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Nata

Nata New Member

Why Maori 130g not an option anymore? I have enrolled in this paper for semester 1 2019! Do you mean the course has filled up and there is no more space or it is no longer offered Asa general Ed for biomed students! I’m now worried if I enrolled in the wrong paper!

Why Mario 130g no longer available? Has this paper been withdrawn or no more spaces left? I am enrolled in this paper for semester 1 2019, and it shows in my timetable! I’m doing biomed though not health science

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2018
  2. WellyOnAGoodDay

WellyOnAGoodDay MBChB II 2019

Yeah languages are considered harder gen-eds as the majority of people who take them are fresh beginners. I took 5 years of French at high school which did help out A LOT with Spanish as I was familiar with conjugation structures, tenses etc. Therefore if you haven't had any language experience I would suggest looking at something else UNLESS you actually are interested in learning a language! The important thing is that there's no pressure to do super well in your gen-ed so choose the thing that is most interesting to you.

3. heartley

heartley New Member

No I'm doing Heath Sci. My GenEd is still SemTwo and I'm leaning towards Pharm111g, after 15+ years in pharmacy I'm sure I want out. I need to get my cohort changed though because it clashes.

4. len11123

len11123 New Member

Hello!! I'm hoping some old first year students will be lurking here to answer this mildly strange question but how much stationary do you actually need? In terms of exercise books specifically, and in general as well. I'm thinking around 10 1B8s in total, but I really don't know?

5. Nara

Nara UoA BSci Y3

Hi, I did First year in 2017 and plan to start med in 2020 with you guys :). Personally I used about 1 1B8 book per core paper but I didn't really fill any of them. A lot of the time I'd just watch lecture recordings without taking notes, especially for BIO 107 which had too much information thrown at you to take notes and keep focus, at least in my case. Chem 110 i ended up using a lot of paper because of calculations and reaction mechanisms, but notes taken during lectures usually didnt go over 2 pages max. I barely took notes in pophlth111 because most of the information was found in the slides and I thought it was all really straightforward. Medsci142 was similair to bio107 for me as I didn't take many notes and just tried to take down the important information.

6. toastedbread

toastedbread New Member

Hello! Did Biomed last year and personally took notes by hand rather than using a computer :) In terms of books, it really depends person to person, but 10 should definitely be enough.
    For CHEM 110, most of the course notes are already printed out (If bought from UBIQ, but it's also available on the course page) and most of the lecturers tend to write around those notes, so if you want some extra notes on the side, 1 1B8 should probably be enough.
    For BIOSCI 107, it really depends how big you write and the style of your note taking such as diagrams etc, but 1 1B8 was enough for me (Though my handwriting is on the average to small side, with quite a few diagrams). I also wrote around the course notes and printed out the powerpoint slides too which was also helpful :)
    For POPLHLTH 111, filled up 1 1B8 and half of another one, so perhaps 1-2 1B8 would be helpful for you! Printed out the powerpoint slides too as the lecturers do tend to go a bit fast sometimes and it's hard to keep up if you're copying everything down from the powerpoint slides.
    For BIOSCI 101, filled up 1 1B8, but also printed out powerpoint slides and wrote around the course notes (Like BIOSCI 107) Most of the lecturers do tend to work around their powerpoint slides and/or the course notes.
    For BIOSCI 106, the same as BIOSCI 101 ^^^
    For PHYSICS 160, most of the notes are straight from the course guide so it's a lot easier to write around the course guide, however having a book to write on was really helpful, so I would recommend 1 1B8 if you want to take longer notes/explanations that aren't on the course guide. (I personally used a 1B5 and only around 3/4 - but my handwriting was all over the place) Also, if you haven't done level 2 and 3 physics (NCEA) or equivalent, I would highly suggest keeping a book to write down examples and explanations too! (Side tip, I would keep a page just full of the equations that they show, since it'll be easier than flicking back and forth to find one equation - especially for waves)
    For MEDSCI 142, get the course guide. I started trying to write all the notes in a 1B8 book, but over time, it is so much easier to write around the course guide notes as most, if not all, the lecturers tend to work around these notes. Barely used a 1B8 in this course, but I would recommend bringing post-it notes or refill that you can use to jot down extra notes that may not fit on the page and stick it to the corresponding page. Of course you could use a 1B8 for this if you want since I have seen people doing this, but it really depends on your personal preference :)
    For your GEN-ED, I did PHIL 105G which didn't really require any note taking (Though I did use 1 1B8 for tutorials, taking down important info). See what people have said about your Gen-Ed and kinda gauge whether you might need one or not. Perhaps you could keep a spare just in case, but this is again, up to you.

Sorry it's so long, but I hope it helps! Ask around because there are many different styles :D(Also sorry if you're doing BHSC, since some of these may not apply to you, but I do know that for HealthSci, there is more note taking (Kinda like POPLHLTH 111), but I would ask around)
    Good luck!:yay:

7. Red Cherry

Red Cherry New Member

Hi there, i did FY in 2018.
    It largely depends on your learning preference. In opposition to the guys above, i only bought two 200page refills + used my laptop.
    As mentioned earlier, POPLHLTH111 has most of the info on the slides. Most people in my year added notes to the slides either via printing the slides & annotating or just via laptop/tablet.
    For BIOSCI107 and MEDSCI142, i made the course guides almost the bible for these two papers. I wrote all over its pages combining notes from slides, what lecturers say and useful information from the textbook. Therefore, most of the notes i put them down in the course guide & when spaces became filled i used refill and attached it to the relevant part of the course guide. In my opinion this technique works well since the course guides are spiral so u can add more relevant pages as u progress and u have all things in one place!!
    Finally CHEM110, you can add all the additional notes to the course guide as it has a moderate amount of space. Could also attach refill papers to it.

Also one tip. Combine all ur notes in one place rather a couple. This makes things a lot easier and keeps u focused on the things u need to know. I know a couple of people that spread their notes all over the place and lost track.

Hope this helps and all the best!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  8. Bunny230

Bunny230 New Member

How's everyone finding FY so far? :)

coldhart likes this.
  9. Elphydelphy

Elphydelphy New Member

Poplhlth111 and Chem110 seem pretty good so far. Struggling quite a bit to memorise everything for Biosci107

Bunny230 likes this.
  10. Bunny230

Bunny230 New Member

Speaking of Chem110, how are you studying for it i.e. what resources are you using?? I need to do more practice but can't seem to find any fitting resources :/

11. stalebread

stalebread New Member

hey i'm finding bestchoice actually really helpful for chem practice, it really helps solidify your learning so my rec is try to keep up to date with that! :)

coldhart likes this.
  12. yesmed

yesmed New Member

My friend got a b in making aspirin last week for chemistry lab and thinks he has lost hope of med. Is this true? How should I help him?

13. govpop

govpop Regular Member

Pretty sure I got a few b's in the labs- from memory they make up a small portion of the overall mark.

Unless every bodies gotten smarter in the last decade and quietly I dont think they have.

14. stalebread

stalebread New Member

hey yeah tell him to chilllll, the lab is a very small portion of the overall grade, there's still other Lans, the test, SiM assignment, and the exam! One bad grade in a lab is definitely not going to determine if he gets into med or not, so tell him to not lose hope!! You can't give up your dreams that easily :)