Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

First Year (FY) BHSc/BSC 2019 Chat/Enquiry

so far I've gotten b-,b and a c in midterms is med out of the question?

Just stay focused and keep working hard. Exams make up a greater proportion of your grade for each of the core courses. After all you are not even finished with sem 1 so keep your head up and keep studying

heartley

Now that exam results are rolling in, I'm hoping someone might be able to answer a quick question. We've been told that eligibility for an interview is based of Sem1 grades because Sem2 isn't finished at the time. If your Sem1 grades aren't quite good enough but you end up doing exceptionally well in Sem2, what's happens? I'm guessing you just miss out even if you meet the GPA cutoff after Sem2 grades are released.....?

ProfessorPond

Yahallo!
Now that exam results are rolling in, I'm hoping someone might be able to answer a quick question. We've been told that eligibility for an interview is based of Sem1 grades because Sem2 isn't finished at the time. If your Sem1 grades aren't quite good enough but you end up doing exceptionally well in Sem2, what's happens? I'm guessing you just miss out even if you meet the GPA cutoff after Sem2 grades are released.....?
They only count MEDSCI142 in the second semester, and they give everyone an A+ when considering interview eligibililty. So essentially they only really count your first sem grades.

WellyOnAGoodDay

UoA MBChB IV 2021
Just to clarify more. They take your sem 1 grades and then if you get a 6 GPA above on those or higher you are eligible for an interview. Then they take your 4 core papers with an assumed A+ for MEDSCI and then rank the core GPA. So it is overall GPA to qualify for the interview whereas it is core GPA to rank for the interview. Because everyone gets an assumed A+ for MEDSCI, the cut off for interviews seems to be around 7-7.5 each year for standard undergraduate entry (lower for RRAS and MAPAS). Then of those ranked core GPAS with assumed MEDSCI A+s, they'll take the top x students from that list and offer for the interview. Hope that makes it a bit clearer.

lordgarlic

MSO Kiwi #1
Emeritus Staff
if my overall grade for bioscience is 74.49% (B) will it be rounded to 75% and be b+ or stay B?

no you will stay as a B. The university policy has always been hard grade boundaries without rounding. if you don't get 75, you don't get a B+

ProfessorPond

Yahallo!
Is anyone else kind of annoyed about how long CHEM110 is taking? I get that POPLHLTH will take ages because it's a written exam, but the wait for Chem is giving me anxiety.

WellyOnAGoodDay

UoA MBChB IV 2021
no you will stay as a B. The university policy has always been hard grade boundaries without rounding. if you don't get 75, you don't get a B+
Pretty sure now they round up - this was what it was for me last year at UoA. However, unfortunately if you get a 74.49% it rounds down to a B whereas if you get anything greater or equal to 74.5 then it becomes a B+. Last year for physics I got 84.71% and was awarded an A.

D

Deleted member 37008

Did anyone do PHIL 105G in Sem 1?
I doing health sci and was planning on doing PHIL 105G, but I heard a lot of negative comments about the paper. So I was wondering if I would be alright sticking with it or if I should swap to another paper.

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff
Did anyone do PHIL 105G in Sem 1?
I doing health sci and was planning on doing PHIL 105G, but I heard a lot of negative comments about the paper. So I was wondering if I would be alright sticking with it or if I should swap to another paper.

I did PHIL 105G back in 2016, so not sure what it is like now. But back then it was extremely easy to get high marks without much effort, and it was also kinda interesting. I think I put less than 15 hours into the paper in total (including the time in the exam) and it was my highest percentage grade of the year haha. Hopefully someone can let you know if it has changed since then!

Just did PHIL105G this semester, it's really easy to get high marks in course work which is worth 50%. The exam is rather difficult but it's not undoable, just work through each week's modules and try memorise the key definitions and do the past papers with a friend and compare answers (As they don't give answers). The exam had 35Q in MCQ, and 3 written tasks.

I'd recommend it if you can't be bothered going to any tutorials or lectures as the course is all online (Except for the exam of course). Everything is handed in online so it's pretty easy on your weekly time, gives you a good amount of time to focus on other subjects.

Also so far I've just got As, I suppose gpa 8 isn't good enough for entry in Auckland without a great UCAT and interview right?

Would 8.25 (If I get A+ in medsci142) be a more realistic entry score? Not counting myself out or trying to be too pessimistic, just want to be realistic and know if it's doable because I should probably start considering alternatives like post-grad entry if it's going to be difficult to get in with that kind of gpa.

D

Deleted member 37008

Also so far I've just got As, I suppose gpa 8 isn't good enough for entry in Auckland without a great UCAT and interview right?

Would 8.25 (If I get A+ in medsci142) be a more realistic entry score? Not counting myself out or trying to be too pessimistic, just want to be realistic and know if it's doable because I should probably start considering alternatives like post-grad entry if it's going to be difficult to get in with that kind of gpa.

I heard that the lowest GPA amongst those who got into med this year was 8.25, so I'd say you still have a chance. But that said, you'd probably have to ace the interview and UCAT.
Whatever your GPA though, I think it'd be smarter to have plan b's, even if your GPA is 9.

Nara

UoA BSci Y3

I heard that the lowest GPA amongst those who got into med this year was 8.25, so I'd say you still have a chance. But that said, you'd probably have to ace the interview and UCAT.
Whatever your GPA though, I think it'd be smarter to have plan b's, even if your GPA is 9.

2019 entry MBCHB - a Official Information Act request to University of Auckland
The lowest successful GPA for general entry via first year last year was 8.0 as seen in the link.

UoA MBChB IV
Hey,

First of all congrats to everyone that got their interview offers and don’t be disheartened if you didn’t because I heard they have rounds so if you didn’t get it in the first round you’ll probs get it in the second.

I just have questions regarding VCA refrees. Can it be anyone other than your close friend or family as long as they can state that we are able to work with children and are not some phycopath🤪?

A friend who got in med said he put his teacher and deputy principle as their refrees but i don’t really have much contact or a relationship with my previous teachers so I’m kinda unsure in putting them as my refree. I was thinking to put down someone who knows that I can work well with kids. I know that person because every Sunday I teach little kids and that person is basically my supervisor/freind.

Thanks

travellingspaceman

Hey,

First of all congrats to everyone that got their interview offers and don’t be disheartened if you didn’t because I heard they have rounds so if you didn’t get it in the first round you’ll probs get it in the second.

I just have questions regarding VCA refrees. Can it be anyone other than your close friend or family as long as they can state that we are able to work with children and are not some phycopath🤪?

A friend who got in med said he put his teacher and deputy principle as their refrees but i don’t really have much contact or a relationship with my previous teachers so I’m kinda unsure in putting them as my refree. I was thinking to put down someone who knows that I can work well with kids. I know that person because every Sunday I teach little kids and that person is basically my supervisor/freind.

Thanks

I used a close friend and a sports club officer and had no problems. I think the question they get asked is more along the lines of “do you have any concerns of X working with children?” Rather than “how well does X work with children”.

I could be completely wrong however

UoA MBChB IV
I used a close friend and a sports club officer and had no problems. I think the question they get asked is more along the lines of “do you have any concerns of X working with children?” Rather than “how well does X work with children”.

I could be completely wrong however
Sweet thanks a lot! Just a follow up question. Do they get contacted by email or phone?

yesmed

did anyone else have their application status change for programmes for 2020?

Some of my apps say "Processing And AssessingGreat, we have your results and any supplementary documents. We are now assessing your application. You will receive an email within 10 working days with a decision on your application."

but other ones say "On Hold Supplementary ReqsWe need you to submit supplementary documents before we can continue to assess your application. A list of the supplementary requirements is in your acknowledgement email or in the Things you need to do section above."

Just wanting to see what others have coming up

Eryc

Lurker
did anyone else have their application status change for programmes for 2020?

Some of my apps say "Processing And AssessingGreat, we have your results and any supplementary documents. We are now assessing your application. You will receive an email within 10 working days with a decision on your application."

but other ones say "On Hold Supplementary ReqsWe need you to submit supplementary documents before we can continue to assess your application. A list of the supplementary requirements is in your acknowledgement email or in the Things you need to do section above."

Just wanting to see what others have coming up

Yeah I've got the same.