• ALL USERS: please familiarise yourself with the MSO Forum Rules (updated 03/08/20).
  • UCAT PREP COMPANY DISCUSSION: Site administrators have implemented a rule that states there is to be NO mention of UCAT prep companies. This includes discussion, recommendations, questions, and reviews, and extends to allusions, acronyms, and other other attempts to get around the rule. Offending content will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be warned and may be banned.

First Year (FY) BHSc/BSC 2020 Chat/Enquiry

Macbeth

Hi!- I'm applying for 1st year now and I had a question. How do you decide whether to study Biomedical science either in the City or Grafton? Does it matter? Or is it more dependant on what hall you prefer to get into? Thanks heaps

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoA MBChB II
Hi!- I'm applying for 1st year now and I had a question. How do you decide whether to study Biomedical science either in the City or Grafton? Does it matter? Or is it more dependant on what hall you prefer to get into? Thanks heaps
From my knowledge you don’t get to decide, all biomed FY lectures are in the city. Only the medsci 142 labs are done in Grafton.

ProfessorPond

Yahallo!
4eyes
I prepared for it in the three weeks between the last exam and the interview. I went to a free workshop organised by Niesh and it was super useful. It's honestly pretty chill, and you can prepare by getting a few friends together, buying some food, and spend a whole day asking each other interview questions. You can also see how other people approach the response as well, but most importantly it trains you to think on your feet. This is really useful for follow-ups, because although they're meant to help you, you can use them to show off more of what you can do.

I personally don't think tutoring services are very useful. Yes they teach you all those techniques and tips etc, but at the end of the day it's your own interview, and the material is your own life story. The best prep is to think about everything in your life that lead you to making this decision to do med, as well as your moral compass (because they like asking ethical questions).

Also doing the roleplaying interview questions with friends is honestly most hilarious thing ever when you see them trying to keep a straight face.

Hey everyone! Been stalking MSO for ages now, but this is my first time posting. This thread has been very dead compared to past years... how are you all feeling now that UCAT is over (for most of us) and grades are out? (And CST looming 😭)

ProfessorPond

Yahallo!
Small bit of advice, if Dan Exeter introduced a new topic this year he'll test the living crap out of that. Our year got big data, and it took up a fair bit of the exam.

I didn't revise it too well so that's why I lost like 5% on that one question.

Oh and know the descriptions in Deprivation index that he made up- he seems to really like to test that as well.

Small bit of advice, if Dan Exeter introduced a new topic this year he'll test the living crap out of that. Our year got big data, and it took up a fair bit of the exam.

I didn't revise it too well so that's why I lost like 5% on that one question.

Oh and know the descriptions in Deprivation index that he made up- he seems to really like to test that as well.
ooo I will definitely compare to past years then and see what's new - thanks for the heads up!!

Whaaaat damn Thts quite a lot
Yeah they are putting a huge emphasis on CST 😭 we haven't really been given much info, we don't know how it's going to be marked or whether it is gonna be scored against our sem 1 grades or it's gonna be one CST grade... we're pretty in the dark about everything

ProfessorPond

Yahallo!

jocose

Was wondering if anybody has an idea of my chances of getting accepted with two A+ and a B+ in CST, with a 9 GPA from sem one. Although I know it's hard to tell at this stage. Am a bit gutted about my pophlth result, but I think everyone did worse on pophlth this year with like 15ish people getting A+?

My bio and chem result would put me in the top 5% and 4% respectively for those subjects, but my pophtlh result would put me in the top 18%. Do I still have a shot? Do you think that the amount of A+s this year is a lot less than 2019, so the safe GPA to get in will be lower?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

ProfessorPond

Yahallo!
First things first. Good job. It's a difficult time for sure and you should be glad that you've done as well as you have.
Also, no matter what, put your back into MEDSCI. It's the one that separates out the really capable students, and doing well in it makes your application a lot stronger. It's also so so easy to get complacent and proceed to bomb an entire section in the exam.

The B+ definitely makes it a bit more difficult and I'm still not sure how they calculate the GPA wrt the CST. But I'd say that with a 9 in medsci and a decent interview and UCAT you still have a decent chance. The thing is that the CST might as well be worth 100% of your sem 1, because everyone's GPA from the online assessments are going to be really high anyways, and the point of distinction would be the CST.

jocose

Thanks for the reply. :)

60% of GPA weighting will be on CST and 40% from Sem 1, which will probably be a 9 for just about everybody with the grade bumb. Unfortunately, my UCAT was super average. :( Just going to grind it out on MEDSCI142 and interview preparation, there's always the post-grad pathway regardless.