Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

First Year (FY) BHSc/BSC 2020 Chat/Enquiry

any stats on CST results like how many got A+ ....?
Yes, they published them on the CST canvas page. In short: Not many people got A+'s.... all were 5% or less.

Not sure if I can publish them on here or not but there's a LOT of D-range grades though. C's and B+'s are probably the most common pass-grades for the 3 courses.

Yes, they published it on the CST page. Pls refer to it because not sure if we can post it here. Anyway, good luck to us all, & have a great summer break before another grind. :)

beastmode

Lurker
I'm going to play the Devil's Advocate here. 8.3 is actually a bit iffy. Going off last year at least, even 8.5 was quite a dangerous GPA. The lower quartile last year was 8.75. Now, it's fair to say that last year was kind of insane and the GPA were all higher than normal, the lower quartile this year should really be no lower than 8.5.
Unless you absolutely knock it out of the park with the interview, I would say your chances are below average.

Sorry to be a killjoy, but I thought I should dispel any false hopes.
I would also like to add that this year has been extremely different to past years. Trying to make correlations and giving cutoffs with GPAs is a pointless exercise as it is pure speculation. I'd encourage everyone to take a look at the statistics provided for each of the courses and make judgement for yourself. All the very best to everyone!

UoA MBChB IV
While you guys are waiting, why don’t you guys post your results and ucat scores on the MBChB scores and offers page if you haven’t done so already 😊. Not many FY’s posted on it this yr compared to previous years.

This is the link below

While you guys are waiting, why don’t you guys post your results and ucat scores on the MBChB scores and offers page if you haven’t done so already 😊. Not many FY’s posted on it this yr compared to previous years.

This is the link below

Lol, I've been dodging that post for quite some time due to my trash ucat score. But oh well, only one person knows who I am irl, so... yeah 😂

UoA MBChB IV
If you meet up with the people here next year, the safe word is pineapple juice (CC - Avatar Ang 🤣).

Obscure reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjpipdrNVQE
Bro I thought pinapple juice was just a random code word you came up with, didn’t know it was a refrence to a vid haha

yes guys the code word pinapple juice is very effective, that’s how I met two MSO people in med. The key is to start a conversation with people and randomly say pinapple juice in between.

014phalo

Bro I thought pinapple juice was just a random code word you came up with, didn’t know it was a refrence to a vid haha

yes guys the code word pinapple juice is very effective, that’s how I met two MSO people in med. The key is to start a conversation with people and randomly say pinapple juice in between.
I must have forgot to post the video at the time 🤣

ProfessorPond

Yahallo!
If you meet up with the people here next year, the safe word is pineapple juice (CC - Avatar Ang 🤣).

Obscure reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjpipdrNVQE
Tfw someone walked up to my friend group 2 weeks in and started saying 'pineapple juice' to them and me actually responding.

They probably still think I'm losing it, which is not wrong.

UoA MBChB IV
Tfw someone walked up to my friend group 2 weeks in and started saying 'pineapple juice' to them and me actually responding.

They probably still think I'm losing it, which is not wrong.
It wasn’t random, I cleverly used all the clues u had given on here like ur blue jacket and wat freshers grp u were in to decide if I wanted to say the code word. But ya I remember some of the guys in the grp getting weirded out wen we both got excited once I said the code word haha

Hey guys I'm studying Bachelor of Health Sciences and aiming of entry into MBChB. Do you guys have any advice on what some good general education papers are?

Cheers!

ProfessorPond

Yahallo!
Hey guys I'm studying Bachelor of Health Sciences and aiming of entry into MBChB. Do you guys have any advice on what some good general education papers are?

Cheers!
A language paper is good if you did a foreign language in the first three years of high school. ECON151G is fine but there's no Gamini now which was a big reason to do the paper. I heard PHIL was ok as well but I can't offer an opinion.
Don't do an English paper. My friend did it and the workload was way too much for a gen-ed (a lot of coursework apparently) and the exam wasn't the best.

A language paper is good if you did a foreign language in the first three years of high school. ECON151G is fine but there's no Gamini now which was a big reason to do the paper. I heard PHIL was ok as well but I can't offer an opinion.
Don't do an English paper. My friend did it and the workload was way too much for a gen-ed (a lot of coursework apparently) and the exam wasn't the best.
I have to agree with the foreign language thing. I think it's best to take something you are already strongly familiar with (if possible).

I took a random gen ed (Italian 100g) and it was so difficult! Especially since it's my first time studying the language. Also there's wayyyy too much grammar/rules for my liking. I wish I took something like design or german (since I did those in hs).

Cheers!
Hi! Welcome to MSO :) That means you can only do your gen ed in 2nd sem, is this right?
I remember this post on the 107 piazza at the end of sem one asking about advice on gen eds for 2nd sem. ALOT of people hated phil and there's this one person that talked about design and I was really interested in it (bcs there's no exam).

Here are some screenshots of people's experience from piazza (they're anon)... hopefully this is allowed. There's a little banter but the rest is great advice/personal experience! Otherwise the mods can delete this or something :)

Also, I couldn't add more than 4 screenshots... so I'll just copy and paste what this person said about this gen ed:
Okay, I swear, if you’re interested in Korean stuff, take it! For me it was really easy, and it doesn’t take too much of your time. Just gotta remember the vocabulary and the tutorials are super fun and engaging. I don’t even think you need to self study because they repeat the same content over and over again for the 3 tutorials you have in a week. The conversation test is probably the most nerve-wrecking part, 12% and 16% separately and the actual test took less than 4 minutes each HAHA it felt like 30 seconds. It’s fun and easy if you’re interested in korean stuff, highly recommend it :///

Hope this helps a bit!

Attachments

• 1610948339086.png
    1610948339086.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 1610948437763.png
    1610948437763.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 1610948471141.png
    1610948471141.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 1610948512453.png
    1610948512453.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 26
I have to agree with the foreign language thing. I think it's best to take something you are already strongly familiar with (if possible).

I took a random gen ed (Italian 100g) and it was so difficult! Especially since it's my first time studying the language. Also there's wayyyy too much grammar/rules for my liking. I wish I took something like design or german (since I did those in hs).

Hi! Welcome to MSO :) That means you can only do your gen ed in 2nd sem, is this right?
I remember this post on the 107 piazza at the end of sem one asking about advice on gen eds for 2nd sem. ALOT of people hated phil and there's this one person that talked about design and I was really interested in it (bcs there's no exam).

Here are some screenshots of people's experience from piazza (they're anon)... hopefully this is allowed. There's a little banter but the rest is great advice/personal experience! Otherwise the mods can delete this or something :)

Also, I couldn't add more than 4 screenshots... so I'll just copy and paste what this person said about this gen ed:
Okay, I swear, if you’re interested in Korean stuff, take it! For me it was really easy, and it doesn’t take too much of your time. Just gotta remember the vocabulary and the tutorials are super fun and engaging. I don’t even think you need to self study because they repeat the same content over and over again for the 3 tutorials you have in a week. The conversation test is probably the most nerve-wrecking part, 12% and 16% separately and the actual test took less than 4 minutes each HAHA it felt like 30 seconds. It’s fun and easy if you’re interested in korean stuff, highly recommend it :///

Hope this helps a bit!
Hey! Thanks for the reply. Yup I think I'll have gen ed in sem2, but I'm not too sure.