Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

[Grad] Flinders Interview

Candace

Not sure exactly how this forum runs, but does anyone have any idea about how the interview questions are structured at Flinders (postgrad)?

Would reallly appreciate any tips since my interview is in 3weeks !

velox

Good luck! I suggest you ask at the forum paging dr (search for it, the link is somewhere on the forum), as there are more grads there.

CCH

Me only valid for undergrad. But I do know that their interview is semi-structured (i.e. they can probe and discuss, the questions are not fixed). The chances of getting in once you have an interview is approx. 66%.

See this page: http://som.flinders.edu.au/HTML/COURSES/GEMP/interview.htm

Hope this helps.

velox

Flinders seem to be quite lenient :

Some applicants who reach the interview stage in a particular year, but are not successful in gaining a place in the course, may decide to reapply the following year. If short-listed for interview again, such applicants may choose either to use their previous year's interview score, or to attend another interview at Flinders. If the re-interview option is chosen, the better of the two scores will be used in ranking.

Those candidates above the GAMSAT cutoff with Flinders University as their second preference who do not meet the requirements for interview of their first preference school will be considered without prejudice in competition with first preference Flinders applicants.

pitman

Your interview will be more of an actual conversation than at most other grad schools. There will also be follow-up questions, unlike at Usyd.

The interview begins with a written scenario that you'll have 10 minutes to think about, then present on a whiteboard. It won't have anything to do with med, but will test your ability to synthesize, present, communicate, deduce/induce, etc., as you would be required to do in PBl or later as a doc. More info will be presented to you and you'll be asked to give as many reasons possible for the scenario, and ultimately decide which ones are most likely and why. I thought it was great fun.

-pitman

pitman

A woman owns a petrol station several hours north of Adelaide. She goes on holidays, leaving her daughter and son-in-law in charge. Upon returning, she discovers that the station has made much less money than normal. Explain why this may have happened.

Additional information: the road the station is on is between a uranium mine and Adelaide; it's the rainy season; some other details.

Reactions: J28

David

Ha that scenario is exactly the same as the one at griffith university last year for the dental science.

Pitman if memory serves me correct.

Futher information to the scenario to add

The womens home cooking was what made her famous with the truck drivers.
Local drivers make up some percentage of the income. Some roads are inaccessable when it rains but these are not used by the truck drivers.
The part was when you said it was raining season was the follow up question.

There was alot of extra information but ultimately for that scenario come up with an explanation that covers most of them.

I was happy with the explanation (interview) but couldnt say the same with the outcome, poor uai *shrugs* :unsure:

Squishy

Congrats on getting an interview! Don't know if you have already had it or not but I did the Flinder's interview last year so if you wanna know anything else or are just freaked let me know...

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
lol...

i believe the people here who had an interview and posted it here had it before you? :p

Shizzy

Staff
Administrator
Hey pitman, i know a few others have already helped you out but in case you were wondering, Griffith has the same interview as flinders (so i hear) since they bought the curriculum from them.

In the interview there was three scenarios, the first was the largest and you had to use a whiteboard to help explain your answers. You are given the first part before the interview and the second part after your first explanation.

My question was about a couple of planes landing at an airport. It told you how long it would take certain passengers to check in and how many staff there were and at what times the planes would land etc. At a certain time the manager walks in and there is hundreds of passengers waiting in line but she thought she planned everything out. What went wrong?
The second part they give you is that out the front of the airport is heaps of news crews. Any more ideas?

General questions in the interview:
Why become a doctor?
Some docs dont like the job, what do you think?
How will you cope with study?
What will be different from now?
What kind of support will you have or need?
Most Stressful time?
Most Emotional time?
Ethical issue you may see as doc?
Your Best qualities?
Would your friends agreee with you? :p

Yepp thats about all i can think of. :) Congrats and good luck.