Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Flinders Flinders Medicine: Provisional Entry General Discussion

SmoothCriminal

So, as I posted before, I did a START QUT course in grade 11, which is an enrichment course similar to Extension program in Flinders and the University Head Start program from UAdel. I enquired about this course from SATAC and this was their reply:
1631593531164.png
However, when I enquired Flinders, their reply was:
1631593603516.png
This is quite contradicting as I have received a grade for my START QUT course, but SATAC says that I am still eligible for medicine.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
So, as I posted before, I did a START QUT course in grade 11, which is an enrichment course similar to Extension program in Flinders and the University Head Start program from UAdel. I enquired about this course from SATAC and this was their reply:
View attachment 4837
However, when I enquired Flinders, their reply was:
View attachment 4838
This is quite contradicting as I have received a grade for my START QUT course, but SATAC says that I am still eligible for medicine.
I think this makes sense. You got a grade, but it was for a course that does not form part of a higher qualification (ie. a bachelor degree), so you remain eligible.

SmoothCriminal

I think this makes sense. You got a grade, but it was for a course that does not form part of a higher qualification (ie. a bachelor degree), so you remain eligible.
However Flinders said "if you have attended any university topics, you will be ineligible". Would my course count as a University topic?

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
However Flinders said "if you have attended any university topics, you will be ineligible". Would my course count as a University topic?
You should be good, many other students have studied similar courses in high school in the past and got into Flinders fine. Flinders admissions has said questionable stuff in the past like automatically booting you from the course if you accept another offer in a later offer round, not sure if they can even do that.

thetree

It feels like the vast majority of my cohort are made up of these people who take advantage of the UES system so I expect there to be quite a change in the class for future years.

I'm in the process of asking around for UCAT scores and I'm currently still the lowest in my year. I have a friend with a 91st percentile who only received a second round offer so that's quite interesting.

Edit: Lowest is around ~2800 for 2021 entry I believe as ucatboy predicted. The person who received this offer had already started year 13 so this was quite late.
Hey! I got a 2800 and was posting on this thread in February about being ranked about ~70 on the list after the first offer round and I never received a flinders offer. Just thought that would be useful information for anyone applying this year. It hurts a little bit knowing that I probably just missed the cut-off by 10 or 20 points, but interesting that a member reported an offer on feb 15th with a 2820, but yet it never went down to 2800, despite them allegedly giving out offers in march.

LeSpicyGinger

Flinders MD II
Hey! I got a 2800 and was posting on this thread in February about being ranked about ~70 on the list after the first offer round and I never received a flinders offer. Just thought that would be useful information for anyone applying this year. It hurts a little bit knowing that I probably just missed the cut-off by 10 or 20 points, but interesting that a member reported an offer on feb 15th with a 2820, but yet it never went down to 2800, despite them allegedly giving out offers in march.
The friend who got closer to 2800 didn't say what score he got exactly just that it was off by around 10-20 pts so thank you for confirming this information!

thetree

The friend who got closer to 2800 didn't say what score he got exactly just that it was off by around 10-20 pts so thank you for confirming this information!
It's surprising that he got an offer in march because I remember ringing towards the end of February and they told me that I had no chance of an offer because O-week was starting soon and they had closed the offer system & had over-filled the places in the course!! Anyway, I guess it was just fate & I wasn't supposed to go to flinders. Good luck to everyone applying this year!

Hi,

So on my SATAC preferences it is saying 'not currently eligible for consideration' for Flinders med. I am currently a Year 12 QLD student - not sure if that affects anything. Does anyone know why this may be occurring?

Thanks!

1633051203560.png

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
It has been like that since I submitted my application in early September
Just to highlight the arbitrary nature of most TAC messages, when I applied via UAC to JMP a couple of years ago, my status code was "not eligible due to academic requirements" despite having a GPA of 7.00 and going on to receive a CSP. It never changed from that code until the moment I got the offer :D

Does anyone know how flinders will make offers for interstate applicants? Will they delay their offer rounds to coincide with the delay NSW atar release (20 Jan 2022)?
Thanks

kkkk

Does anyone know how flinders will make offers for interstate applicants? Will they delay their offer rounds to coincide with the delay NSW atar release (20 Jan 2022)?
Thanks
I emailed them they said they were gonna figure it out but its been like 2 weeks and they havent responded

Caffeine

Thanks
They might reserve some spots for NSW students based on past data. I would say however it is unlikely they would move an offer round back due to another state as it negatively impacts students from all other states.