Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Flinders Flinders Medicine: Provisional Entry General Discussion

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hello,
Can someone please let me know if Flinders undergraduate medicine is based just in Adelaide or the students have to divide their time between Adelaide and Darwin? Also what to expect as it is provisional entry?
Thank you kindly
I believe it’s just the students accepted via the Charles Darwin Uni partnership that do definite time in Darwin.

LeSpicyGinger

Flinders MD II
Hello,
Can someone please let me know if Flinders undergraduate medicine is based just in Adelaide or the students have to divide their time between Adelaide and Darwin? Also what to expect as it is provisional entry?
Thank you kindly
LMG is right. As with most medical degrees, once you go on placement you can go to a variety of locations. Darwin is one of the options I think for placements.

mpate83

Lurker
Hi, I'm going to apply to undergraduate medicine at flinders and I have an atar of 95.85 (BMP and rural). I'm going to sit the UCAT in July. Do you think I have any chance?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi, I'm going to apply to undergraduate medicine at flinders and I have an atar of 95.85 (BMP and rural). I'm going to sit the UCAT in July. Do you think I have any chance?
What do you mean by BMP? Do you mean UES? BMP is a type of place offer, not something you have prior to application.

Jonno78

Lurker
Hey guys,

Was just wondering about the teaching method at Flinders - is there a focus on case-based learning like in other unis? Also does anyone have any experience or information about clinical placements and hospital rotations at Flinders?

Thanks!

LeSpicyGinger

Flinders MD II
If you meet the minimums for Flinders medicine, I believe we do have a quota for rural students that you fall under. As to whether you have a chance or not it depends on what your ucat is and what rural categorisation you live in. I would recommend checking past year offer threads to determine what minimum you require.

Hey guys,

Was just wondering about the teaching method at Flinders - is there a focus on case-based learning like in other unis? Also does anyone have any experience or information about clinical placements and hospital rotations at Flinders?

Thanks!
Cased based learning or TBL is a core component in MD. I believe it happens every week on a certain day like how Adelaide uni does it. Not too sure about clinical placements at Flinders as I haven't reached that stage myself but you can find information about it on PagingDoctor (I think) or if you message the right person on the Flinders forums on Facebook.

LeSpicyGinger

Flinders MD II
I heard in the Student Recruitment office today that they were increasing the number of places at Flinders for undergraduate entry from ~50 to ~90. I wonder how much that affects admission scores for 2023 entry

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I heard in the Student Recruitment office today that they were increasing the number of places at Flinders for undergraduate entry from ~50 to ~90. I wonder how much that affects admission scores for 2023 entry
Do you have any info about where these places are coming from? Will the increase affect graduate entry numbers? Are they CSP places with guaranteed internships attached?

LeSpicyGinger

Flinders MD II
Do you have any info about where these places are coming from? Will the increase affect graduate entry numbers? Are they CSP places with guaranteed internships attached?
I work in the student recruitment department and heard one of the staff talking about it with a prospective student. I'll inquire about it in more detail. At this stage, I don't know much about the places themselves.

Edit: I heard wrong lmao. If there was an increase in places, it was around 3 and not 40 as I had heard.

Last edited:

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Hey, what are the chances of getting an offer at Flinders Med with GPA: 7.0 FTE, UCAT 2490 (642 SJ), Rural: RA3.
Thank you.
I don't believe you're eligible for the undergraduate program with a tertiary record regardless of your scores. If this is a completed degree you're talking about, you'll have to sit the GAMSAT to apply via the graduate pathway.

23intake

I don't believe you're eligible for the undergraduate program with a tertiary record regardless of your scores. If this is a completed degree you're talking about, you'll have to sit the GAMSAT to apply via the graduate pathway.
I've only done 1 year FTE, I haven't completed the course, will I still have to sit the GAMSAT?

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
I've only done 1 year FTE, I haven't completed the course, will I still have to sit the GAMSAT?
Unfortunately you can only apply to Flinders in the following 2 situations:
  1. Year 12/13/gap year student: no tertiary record, applying to the 6-year undergruadate course with ATAR and UCAT
  2. University graduate: completed degree, applying to the 4-year postgraduate course with GPA and GAMSAT
If you want to apply to Flinders you'll have to finish your current degree first and take the 2nd pathway.

A1

Rookie Doc
You can apply to (and considering RA3 be quite competitive for) JCU, UNSW, JMP, JPM(WSU/CSU).
Aren't you interested in these schools?

23intake

You can apply to (and considering RA3 be quite competitive for) JCU, UNSW, JMP, JPM(WSU/CSU).
Aren't you interested in these schools?
Yes, I will apply to all and hope for the best, I was just curious about Flinders as when I saw the 2022 offers forum, there was a RA2, 2560 UCAT and 97.8 ATAR who got a December offer.
If I study at CSU, are my chances for JPM CSU greater than JPM WSU? (I also fall under GWS too)
Are there any chances for UQ dent with my results? There was someone with a 69th percentile UCAT RA2 who got in, so not sure if my UCAT will be sufficient enough for RA3.

Thak A1.

Unfortunately you can only apply to Flinders in the following 2 situations:
  1. Year 12/13/gap year student: no tertiary record, applying to the 6-year undergruadate course with ATAR and UCAT
  2. University graduate: completed degree, applying to the 4-year postgraduate course with GPA and GAMSAT
If you want to apply to Flinders you'll have to finish your current degree first and take the 2nd pathway.
Oh, I see, thank you.

Does Flinders have a quota/preference for SA students or is that just University of Adelaide? I may have arrogantly assumed my locality plays a role in getting an offer from Flinders.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Does Flinders have a quota/preference for SA students or is that just University of Adelaide? I may have arrogantly assumed my locality plays a role in getting an offer from Flinders.
Flinders has a quota for its OWN current students (regardless of state of origin) for their graduate entry program, but not for their provisional program as far as I am aware.

LeSpicyGinger

Flinders MD II
Flinders has a quota for its OWN current students (regardless of state of origin) for their graduate entry program, but not for their provisional program as far as I am aware.
No preference for SA students specifically in provisional program. You just get ranked based on ATAR and UCAT.

edit: With Flinders being relatively unknown, most students that end up going are SA anyway (sizeable portion of interstate nonetheless).

Another question, I saw on the Flinders page that SJT is included and they say all with equal weighting. Does this mean if my SJT score is poor, it will impact my chances of an offer?