Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Flinders Flinders Medicine: Provisional Entry General Discussion

That depends on the ATAR. A person with a 99.95 requires a lower UCAT score than someone with 99.90, etc
So i guess they don't eliminate base on UCAT only, like they won't bother looking at your application if your UCAT is below 50perc. Something like that. Is that correct?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
So i guess they don't eliminate base on UCAT only, like they won't bother looking at your application if your UCAT is below 50perc. Something like that. Is that correct?

No, they don’t eliminate people based on a universally applied UCAT cut off (as Crow mentioned, the requirements are different depending on ATAR achieved, as they are for many universities). However, the lowest we tend to see is around 70th%ile with 99.95ATAR so a UCAT less than 50th%ile is highly unlikely to be competitive enough.

A1

Rookie Doc

Flinders published criteria is 90% ATAR 10% UCAT. How the 90/10 is calculated is not known but we have seen a few 99.95s with 70ish %ile, 99.85s with 90ish previous years. This year seems higher though, I think only .95s & .90s have been posted.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Flinders published criteria is 90% ATAR 10% UCAT. How the 90/10 is calculated is not known but we have seen a few 99.95s with 70ish %ile, 99.85s with 90ish previous years. This year seems higher though, I think only .95s & .90s have been posted.

That said, we've also only have a grand total of 3 offers posted here, so it's even more unlikely than usual to be representative of actual offers. For 2019 entry, there were UMATs at 68, 71 and 71 posted here.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
I have a sneaking suspicion that the cutoffs for Flinders, particularly in the ATAR department, have risen significantly, perhaps due to the increased number of applicants who qualify for UES. Whereas in previous years a 99.85 ATAR could land an offer given a high enough UMAT (90%ile+), this year two of my friends with 99.90 ATAR and 99%ile (3240) and 89%ile (2830) were denied an offer in the January 10 SATAC offer round, but another with 99.90 ATAR and 99%ile (3410) managed to snag one. Looking at the collated invites on the forum, all three have a 99.95 selection rank. This makes me think that to land a Flinders offer you either have to get a 99.95 ATAR and if you don't, a 99.90 ATAR requires an extremely high UCAT score (somewhere between 3240 and 3410).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I have a sneaking suspicion that the cutoffs for Flinders, particularly in the ATAR department, have risen significantly, perhaps due to the increased number of applicants who qualify for UES. Whereas in previous years a 99.85 ATAR could land an offer given a high enough UMAT (90%ile+), this year two of my friends with 99.90 ATAR and 99%ile (3240) and 89%ile (2830) were denied an offer in the January 10 SATAC offer round, but another with 99.90 ATAR and 99%ile (3410) managed to snag one. Looking at the collated invites on the forum, all three have a 99.95 selection rank. This makes me think that to land a Flinders offer you either have to get a 99.95 ATAR and if you don't, a 99.90 ATAR requires an extremely high UCAT score (somewhere between 3240 and 3410).

Sometimes the 'not enough for an offer' data is more useful for us here than who actually did get an offer, so this is very helpful, thanks!

A1

Rookie Doc

Just wanting to add that last year a member (Trinhcent I think) said repeatedly a friend with 99.95 90th got neither Flinders nor Adelaide. But then LMG just said there were two Flinders with 71st. Sometimes friends' info can be very confusing.

Added by LMG to agree that this is a very good point!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Desperato

Desperato
Does Flinders do bonus points? If so, then my atar of 99.40 would get boosted to what. Band 6 in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics Extension 1 and 2

A1

Rookie Doc
Does Flinders do bonus points? If so, then my atar of 99.40 would get boosted to what. Band 6 in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics Extension 1 and 2

Flinders accepts the SATAC bonus points for school/financial disadvantage, but not the Subjects bonus. If qualified for the former 98.0+ would be boosted to 99.95.

Desperato

Desperato
Flinders accepts the SATAC bonus points for school/financial disadvantage, but not the Subjects bonus. If qualified for the former 98.0+ would be boosted to 99.95.
I have applied for family tax benefit A on SATAC, does that count under the financial disadvantage?

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
I have applied for family tax benefit A on SATAC, does that count under the financial disadvantage?
SATAC specifically states that this may not be sufficient to qualify for financial disadvantage, but it is ultimately their decision. Did you get a Flinders offer through SATAC on January 10? If not that may mean you were unsuccessful in applying for UES.

Desperato

Desperato
No but I called them and they said that I am very high in the list and is probable for the next round of offers on 23th. So I wanna know if that could be because of UES. By the way I got 80th percentile in the UCAT

A1

Rookie Doc
No but I called them and they said that I am very high in the list and is probable for the next round of offers on 23th. So I wanna know if that could be because of UES. By the way I got 80th percentile in the UCAT

You must have got the bonus points, otherwise 99.40 would not be high on Flinders' list.

A1

Rookie Doc
But its for the second round offers. So how likely am I to get a second round offer, historically speaking.

You missed 1st round likely due to 80th %ile. I can't guarantee but I feel optimistic for you since last two years Flinders made around 70 offers while the target is around 30 places. That means many declines and top ups (unless they over-offered all 70 in the 1st round but unlikely since last year there were two 99.95s with 71%ile).