Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Flinders Flinders Medicine: Provisional Entry General Discussion

N

nb

Hey.
I have asked this before but I will post it here in this thread as someone might know the answer to this. This has really been eating up my brain and I am kinda stressed about it ngl.
And yes, I have called SATAC but they were useless as the guy had no idea what I was talking about...

I understand that you get 5 bonus AGGREGATE points for meeting any of the 'disadvantages'. However, adding 5 points to a SATAC aggregate increases the atar much more than adding 5 points to a VTAC aggregate....
For example, using this SATAC conversion table: https://www.satac.edu.au/documents/aggregate_to_atar_conversion_table_2019.pdf,
We can extrapolate that an aggregate of about 85 will yield an atar of 98. Now with 5 bonus points, this aggregate will become a 90 which yields a 99.95.

In the VCE aggregate conversion table: http://www.vtac.edu.au/files/pdf/reports/Aggregate-ATAR-19.pdf
it can be seen that a aggregate of 184 yields a 98 atar. With 5 bonus points, the aggregate becomes 189 which yields a 98.7 Atar. An increase of 0.7 atar points compared to a whopping 1.95 atar points for SATAC.

Can someone confirm that the 5 points for SATAC are worth different to the VTAC 5 aggregate points. Because if they are of the same worth, this would put victorian students at a disadvantage as they receive less of a boost in Atar.

EDIT: My theory is that they look at the Victorian student's atar. Then if they see a 98 atar, they convert that to SATAC aggregate of 85 and then add the 5 points so it is all even. Similar to a HSC atar of 98. They convert to a 85 SATAC aggregate and go on from there. Just my 2c though.

2xq

Allied Health Member
Hey.
I have asked this before but I will post it here in this thread as someone might know the answer to this. This has really been eating up my brain and I am kinda stressed about it ngl.
And yes, I have called SATAC but they were useless as the guy had no idea what I was talking about...

I understand that you get 5 bonus AGGREGATE points for meeting any of the 'disadvantages'. However, adding 5 points to a SATAC aggregate increases the atar much more than adding 5 points to a VTAC aggregate....
For example, using this SATAC conversion table: https://www.satac.edu.au/documents/aggregate_to_atar_conversion_table_2019.pdf,
We can extrapolate that an aggregate of about 85 will yield an atar of 98. Now with 5 bonus points, this aggregate will become a 90 which yields a 99.95.

In the VCE aggregate conversion table: http://www.vtac.edu.au/files/pdf/reports/Aggregate-ATAR-19.pdf
it can be seen that a aggregate of 184 yields a 98 atar. With 5 bonus points, the aggregate becomes 189 which yields a 98.7 Atar. An increase of 0.7 atar points compared to a whopping 1.95 atar points for SATAC.

Can someone confirm that the 5 points for SATAC are worth different to the VTAC 5 aggregate points. Because if they are of the same worth, this would put victorian students at a disadvantage as they receive less of a boost in Atar.

EDIT: My theory is that they look at the Victorian student's atar. Then if they see a 98 atar, they convert that to SATAC aggregate of 85 and then add the 5 points so it is all even. Similar to a HSC atar of 98. They convert to a 85 SATAC aggregate and go on from there. Just my 2c though.

lets see... have u tried calling SATAC a second time and praying that u dont get the same clueless guy??? 😅 😅 😅

• Haha
Reactions: nb

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Hey.

Pretty sure SATAC converts everything to their SA aggregate system, then adds bonus points, to achieve fairness and parity. They do the same thing for IB students both in SA and interstate: convert IB score to ATAR, ATAR to aggregate, aggregate + x points, then back to selection rank. They probably do the same thing for VCE and the rest.

• Love
Reactions: nb

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
(Quote removed)

Are you 100% positive they didn't have some sort of UES adjustment? We literally had a member on here with 99.90 and 2880 who was practically begging for a Flinders spot (when he called he was told that he was ~80th on the waiting list) and only got one in the Feb 12 offer round because he submitted a last-minute UES application, boosting his selection rank to 99.95. My friends have all had similar experiences with this ridiculously high cutoff so I'm inclined to believe that your friend got some sort of equity boost without him knowing about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

A1

Rookie Doc
Can I please know what the lowest UCAT cut off was for flinders last year?

Flinders use 90% ATAR + 10% UCAT for ranking so lower ATAR would need substantially higher UCAT to balance. Iirc correctly the lowest offer last year to a 99.95 was around 90%ile, lowest to 99.90 would have been 95%ile or higher. And even a top 99%ile would not have been enough for 99.85 due to the 90/10 weightings.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Flinders use 90% ATAR + 10% UCAT for ranking so lower ATAR would need substantially higher UCAT to balance. Iirc correctly the lowest offer last year to a 99.95 was around 90%ile, lowest to 99.90 would have been 95%ile or higher. And even a top 99%ile would not have been enough for 99.85 due to the 90/10 weightings.
Adding onto this, not sure what percentage of Flinder's finalised place offers are top ups, but at least for first round the UCAT cutoff for 99.90 ATARs was somewhere between 3240 (no offer) and 3400+ (offer received). I remain unconvinced this figure dropped much lower with subsequent offer rounds so I'm going to guess ~3000+ for 99.90. Kinda mind blowing if you ask me, ATAR-only unis have lower ATAR and UCAT requirements (none lmao) ffs

Last edited:

Hi Josht4971,
I was offered a first round offer at finders uni ATAR of 97.95 last year, so that ATAR may be in the range for a place.

Flinders do have a rural sub quota program. Last year, I think 2 day before offers were released, I received an email that I have been deemed eligible under the rural sub quota program from finders uni through SATAC. It looked like this.

" Dear MedKid360

SATAC has assessed the statutory declaration you provided in support of your claim of rural/remote background and this email is to confirm your eligibility to be considered under the rural and remote sub-quota for your relevant preference(s) at Flinders University.

Please note, eligibility for the rural and remote sub-quota does not mean you will be guaranteed a place in the course(s) for which you have applied.

Kind regards
SATAC "

As far as the rural application goes for Flinders, as soon as you submit your course application to SATAC, you must sign a statutory declaration form found on the course list page where you actually select the course on SATAC. This statutory declaration needs to be uploaded to SATAC within a week ( I think) of making the initial application.

You only need to submit this one statutory declaration to be considered for both finders uni and adelaide uni rural sub quota programs.

For undergraduate applications, look at the SATAC website for when applications open for courses.
Hey, just wondering what your UCAT percentile was?

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Hey, just wondering what your UCAT percentile was?
Checked through their post history, and their UMAT (not UCAT, but still comparable) percentile was 76 in 2016. No doubt said member qualified for UES, bringing them 97.95 raw to 99.90+ adjusted, otherwise Flinders would be completely out of the picture.

Checked through their post history, and their UMAT (not UCAT, but still comparable) percentile was 76 in 2016. No doubt said member qualified for UES, bringing them 97.95 raw to 99.90+ adjusted, otherwise Flinders would be completely out of the picture.
Thanks alot. So even being a rural applicant a 97.95 raw would not be enough for a place at Flinders?
Have you got an idea of the lowest UCAT/UMAT and ATAR for rural applicants have been in the past few years?

Scorpion

Thanks alot. So even being a rural applicant a 97.95 raw would not be enough for a place at Flinders?
Have you got an idea of the lowest UCAT/UMAT and ATAR for rural applicants have been in the past few years?
I don't think rural status is taken into account for Flinders undergrad- please correct me if I'm wrong. However, you can get 5 bonus aggregate points from the UES scheme which accounts for quite a bit (check if you qualify- many rural schools do). Based on last year's aggregate to ATAR conversions, 5 bonus points would have brought your 97.95 up to a 99.95, making you eligible for a Flinders offer as long as your UCAT was reasonable. Check the offers thread to see what UCATs people got in with.

Would anyone have any predictions for how the 50% sub quota for Adelaide and coronavirus would affect the Flinders minimum ucat? Or will it stay around the same like other years? A friend of a friend last year got in with a 71% and 99.95 ues but who knows if it will go that low this year

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Would anyone have any predictions for how the 50% sub quota for Adelaide and coronavirus would affect the Flinders minimum ucat? Or will it stay around the same like other years? A friend of a friend last year got in with a 71% and 99.95 ues but who knows if it will go that low this year
I can't see it having any significant effects on the Flinders cutoff, tbh. I would expect the 99.95 requirement to remain, or at the very very best (read: still highly unlikely) a 99.9 with a strong UCAT to "compensate". The UES bonuses are just too prevalent and "powerful" for the ATAR boost.

Hi guys!
As I was sliding through the entry offer thread I realised that many people decline the flinders offer for another uni. Is there a specific reason for this? Also, considering the current COVID cases (interstate travel and stuff) would this trend follow onto the 2021 entrance?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi guys!
As I was sliding through the entry offer thread I realised that many people decline the flinders offer for another uni. Is there a specific reason for this? Also, considering the current COVID cases (interstate travel and stuff) would this trend follow onto the 2021 entrance?
If you're from SA and got an Adelaide offer many would go with that instead. Similarly, anyone from interstate who gets an interstate offer would in all likelihood take that over Flinders. Hence, the declines. Nobody can predict the COVID-related trends but I don't foresee any major changes personally. People still want to study medicine and ideally still want to study it in their home state, for the most part.