GAMSAT Wellington 2019

Discussion in 'GAMSAT' started by honice, Mar 13, 2019.

1. honice

honice New Member

Hi everyone,

I'll be taking the GAMSAT in Wellington I was just wondering if anyone was also going to be doing GAMSAT in New Zealand and trying to get into medicine in Australia and how they are thinking of prioritising their preferences. I have no preferences with location but I'm unsure which Universities are better to put ad preference

As well as this if anyone who has gone down the same route and would be able to give some pointers on what they did, obstacles for getting in from New Zealand, comming back etc.

Thanks guys!

May likes this.
  2. Rebecca Simpson

Rebecca Simpson keainthemountain

Hi, I am in the same boat. I'm not entirely sure about my preferences either. It will depend on how well my GAMSAT goes. I'm really nervous because I almost had a heat stroke in the exam we sat in Wellington a couple of months ago. I couldn't concentrate at all in the third section, so I'm worried I did poorly in that section (the highest weighting section). But if everything does go well, then I'll probably prioritize the ones that look more at your interview and GAMSAT than GPA. My GPA is 7.3, and with the cut-offs for Auckland and Otago being so ridiculously high I am finding it difficult to get in with them. I'm also a healthcare professional already so I was going to put Deakin first and try to get the "previous Clinical experience" bonus.
    If it doesn't go well though, what do you think my chances are of getting in to some of the Unis with my GPA?
    I am confident that I can do well in the interview, but my GPA is not as high as I would like.
    What about you?

3. LMG!

LMG! Moderator Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

UTAS MBBS
    I'm not sure what the process is, but your GPA will need to be converted to a GEMSAS GPA. Have you looked into this already?

Rebecca Simpson likes this.
  4. Rebecca Simpson

I just did it before :D it’s 6.92 sorry I thought about it afterwards and should’ve done it before I posted

5. LMG!

UTAS MBBS
    If your GEMSAS GPA is 6.92/7.00 then you definitely don't have to worry about it not being as "high" as you would like, it is very unlikely to be a detrimental factor in your application.

6. Rebecca Simpson

Thank you! That is quite relieving since i’m not familiar with the GEMSAS GPA I’m not sure what’s good and what’s not. If my GAMSAT turns out to be quite average do you think I will have a chance if I apply to Universities that look more at the interview and GPA than GAMSAT? I’m not overly sure how it compares

7. LMG!

UTAS MBBS
    Crow will be better able to provide you with some guidance here, but your GPA (assuming it has been calculated correctly) is very competitive in its own right.

A useful exercise for you, if you're keen to get some 'real world examples', would be to sign up to Paging Dr (a graduate entry medicine forum) and have a look at their past offer archives where successful applicants record their GPA, GAMSAT results, preferences, interview location, and offer status. That way you can see what kind of combinations have been successful at the various graduate entry universities.

8. Rebecca Simpson

Thank you! That is really helpful I will do so now

9. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

Would agree that checking out the archives on PD will give you the best idea of what is and isn’t competitive. In the last couple of years you’d want a GAMSAT of about 66 to get you an interview at most unis with that GPA. With the Deakin bonus that will lower significantly - similarly, if you have a strong portfolio then you’ll have more leeway with Wollongong and Notre Dame.

Rebecca Simpson likes this.