Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Gap Year Questions and Discussion

Sala

Turns out that (according to UAC) I'm ineligible for JMP - seems that my application (the external UoN one) never went through and therefore wasn't processed before the due date. And I had the right UMAT score/ATAR too :(

It does say "Eligible - subject to being competitive" next to the preference still, does that mean I might be able to get an offer?

I think that's about it for this year... Should I try applying non-standard in my 1st year of Uni next year for JMP with a new UMAT score or would it be best to apply as a school leaver with a new UMAT score and take a gap year? I was sick on the day of the UMAT exam (also did close to no preparation leading up to) and I know that hindered my performance so I can probably do better next year.

Turns out that (according to UAC) I'm ineligible for JMP - seems that my application (the external UoN one) never went through and therefore wasn't processed before the due date. And I had the right UMAT score/ATAR too :(

I think that's about it for this year... Should I try applying non-standard in my 1st year of Uni next year for JMP with a new UMAT score or would it be best to apply as a school leaver with a new UMAT score and take a gap year? I was sick on the day of the UMAT exam (also did close to no preparation leading up to) and I know that hindered my performance so I can probably do better next year.

Oh so you didn't receive a confirmation email as soon as you submitted your JMP application?

If you were to go to university next year what would you really like to study? I think taking one year off should be fine, if there was something you wanted to study but otherwise a gap year can be good. You can be strategic about these things but do take into account there are always options and pathways, and provided you get the right marks in uni the door is still open.

I didn't check for one (pretty stupid of me), but then I got an email from UAC a few weeks ago about "missing criteria" which I just saw now since I was trying to check if JMP interviews came out.

Aww, I do feel for you. I understand that these things do happen. As I said in my updated post- I'll stop editing a post after I have made it- "If you were to go to university next year what would you really like to study? I think taking one year off should be fine, if there was something you wanted to study but otherwise a gap year can be good. You can be strategic about these things but do take into account there are always options and pathways, and provided you get the right marks in uni the door is still open"

Aww, I do feel for you. I understand that these things do happen. As I said in my updated post- I'll stop editing a post after I have made it- "If you were to go to university next year what would you really like to study? I think taking one year off should be fine, if there was something you wanted to study but otherwise a gap year can be good. You can be strategic about these things but do take into account there are always options and pathways, and provided you get the right marks in uni the door is still open"
I don't really have an especially strong desire to study anything other than Med and I was looking at Medical Science (merely since it seems like it may be a relatively similar option to Med in regards to content) but apparently it's is a waste of time and money. I'm also considering LLB/BPsych (Hons) for now since it seems interesting to me even though I don't really want to practice as a lawyer/psychologist (wouldn't mind them as backup options though).
Is it much harder to get in through transfer/non-standard application than as a high school leaver or is it worth starting a degree?

Should I try applying non-standard in my 1st year of Uni next year for JMP with a new UMAT score or would it be best to apply as a school leaver with a new UMAT score and take a gap year?

Seeing your ATAR is around 94-96 I think taking a gap year is not going to be beneficial in terms of med admissions. The unis that you remain eligible for by a gap year, all require a pretty high ATAR to be competitive. Might as well start uni and go nonstandard for WSU & JMP.

Seeing your ATAR is around 94-96 I think taking a gap year is not going to be beneficial in terms of med admissions. The unis that you remain eligible for by a gap year, all require a pretty high ATAR to be competitive. Might as well start uni and go nonstandard for WSU & JMP.
Do you think there's a shot with that ATAR, a (hypothetical) GPA of 6.5+ and a similar (or possibly higher) UMAT score for me to get non-standard at either of those universities? Also do you know if UNSW takes non-standard?

I don't really have an especially strong desire to study anything other than Med and I was looking at Medical Science (merely since it seems like it may be a relatively similar option to Med in regards to content) but apparently it's is a waste of time and money. I'm also considering LLB/BPsych (Hons) for now since it seems interesting to me even though I don't really want to practice as a lawyer/psychologist (wouldn't mind them as backup options though).
Is it much harder to get in through transfer/non-standard application than as a high school leaver or is it worth starting a degree?

Depends on the degree. Degrees with subjective marking like arts and psych can make it hard to obtain the necessary GPA. Degrees that are conceptually hard, eg advanced physics, electrical engineering, same thing.

If medicine is all you really want to study you can study something like nursing in which getting a high GPA is easier , and which also qualifies you to work so that if you were to do post-grad med you can work and study.

But that all comes down to how much your parents will support you through med school, and what you want for yourself.

Depends on the degree. Degrees with subjective marking like arts and psych can make it hard to obtain the necessary GPA. Degrees that are conceptually hard, eg advanced physics, electrical engineering, same thing.

If medicine is all you really want to study you can study something like nursing in which getting a high GPA is easier , and which also qualifies you to work so that if you were to do post-grad med you can work and study.

But that all comes down to how much your parents will support you through med school, and what you want for yourself.
I would consider Nursing but I'm not really interested in becoming an RN. If applying non-standard didn't work, do you know if I'd be able to transfer into another degree after a year or can I only try one thing at a time?
Also in regards to GPA, do you think it would be harder if I did a BSc/BN dual degree to achieve/maintain >6.5 or about the same as if I just did a BN?

Thank you so much for the help, I sincerely appreciate it.

Do you think there's a shot with that ATAR, a (hypothetical) GPA of 6.5+ and a similar (or possibly higher) UMAT score for me to get non-standard at either of those universities? Also do you know if UNSW takes non-standard?

You've broken MSO's unwritten rule that all newbies must see this Criteria table first :p
[Undergrad] - 2017-18 Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

JMP requires "close to Credit" GPA and WSU 6.1, after that it stops counting so you won't be disadvantaged against top ATAR/GPA students.

UNSW combines GPA with ATAR, you'll need a high 6s to combine with 94-96 to a competitive score.

You've broken MSO's unwritten rule that all newbies must see this Criteria table first :p
[Undergrad] - 2017-18 Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

JMP requires "close to Credit" GPA and WSU 6.1, after that it stops counting so you won't be disadvantaged against top ATAR/GPA students.

UNSW combines GPA with ATAR, you'll need a high 6s to combine with 94-96 to a competitive score.
Haha sorry about that!! Will check now ;)

Thanks for letting me know! I think I'll try going non-standard then, better not waste a year aha.

Yes you can enrol in nursing and change after one year, there is also mid-year entry for many degrees so you can apply with your one semester of nursing. A nursing degree by itself will be much easier to score a 6.5 GPA in. I think only Edith Cowan uni lets you combine b science with b nursing midwifery which seems to be similar to just doing nursing by itself. A b science program plan varies between unis so have a look at the plans they specifically tell you which units you have to study. First year statistics is now part of ever b science course, and you do need mathematical ability for uni chemistry.

Yes you can enrol in nursing and change after one year, there is also mid-year entry for many degrees so you can apply with your one semester of nursing. A nursing degree by itself will be much easier to score a 6.5 GPA in. I think only Edith Cowan uni lets you combine b science with b nursing midwifery which seems to be similar to just doing nursing by itself. A b science program plan varies between unis so have a look at the plans they specifically tell you which units you have to study. First year statistics is now part of ever b science course, and you do need mathematical ability for uni chemistry.

I've always been a pretty good maths student and I do quite like the subject so that's not a problem for me. I thought that USyd had a BSc/BN program but turns out that it's a BSc/Masters of Nursing (4 years). Do you think it'd be best to do a Nursing (Advanced Studies) degree or would it be about as easy/hard to get a high GPA in a BSc?

I've always been a pretty good maths student and I do quite like the subject so that's not a problem for me. I thought that USyd had a BSc/BN program but turns out that it's a BSc/Masters of Nursing (4 years). Do you think it'd be best to do a Nursing (Advanced Studies) degree or would it be about as easy/hard to get a high GPA in a BSc?

I cannot see the units of study, there is an error on the page, but it sounds almost the same. Bear in mind that some faculties at UYSD do bell curve marking, which means that only the top x% of students can get HD's. They will scale marks to accommodate this. You might want to look into this before selecting a uni or a uni course.

As a new 2021 VCE 'grad', I am taking a complete gap year (no deferals etc) in 2022 for multiple reasons (personal/jobs/volunteering/ucat preps etc). My only preferencing in VTAC list (2022 intake) was for med & dentistry, both of which am not going to make it this time. So when VTAC applications opens up in ~Sep2022 (2023 intake), I am still eligible to put BSc as a backup option right ? (in other words, my 2021 ATAR is still valid for 2023 intake also..given that I am not undertaking any uni studies in 2022?) Just to be absolutely sure before locking in the gap year. Please do help..

As a new 2021 VCE 'grad', I am taking a complete gap year (no deferals etc) in 2022 for multiple reasons (personal/jobs/volunteering/ucat preps etc). My only preferencing in VTAC list (2022 intake) was for med & dentistry, both of which am not going to make it this time. So when VTAC applications opens up in ~Sep2022 (2023 intake), I am still eligible to put BSc as a backup option right ? (in other words, my 2021 ATAR is still valid for 2023 intake also..given that I am not undertaking any uni studies in 2022?) Just to be absolutely sure before locking in the gap year. Please do help..
That’s correct, although, if I were you I would just apply for the bachelor this year and then defer the offer. Saves you the stress and having to pay for the application a second time round in a year’s time.

That’s correct, although, if I were you I would just apply for the bachelor this year and then defer the offer. Saves you the stress and having to pay for the application a second time round in a year’s time.
Presumably they’ll be paying for the application for the Med and Dent courses anyway?

Presumably they’ll be paying for the application for the Med and Dent courses anyway?
Yeah, that's what I meant. May as well tack on the science bachelor into preferences this time round (no extra cost as far as I am aware) and then defer the offer, rather than pay another application fee to apply for the same thing for 2023 entry.

Yeah, that's what I meant. May as well tack on the science bachelor into preferences this time round (no extra cost as far as I am aware) and then defer the offer, rather than pay another application fee to apply for the same thing for 2023 entry.
No, sorry, presumably they’ll be paying the application fee for Med and Dent 2023 courses given they’ve not received offers this year and are planning to sit UCAT again. Or am I really confused about what’s happening here?? Haha!

No, sorry, presumably they’ll be paying the application fee for Med and Dent 2023 courses given they’ve not received offers this year and are planning to sit UCAT again. Or am I really confused about what’s happening here?? Haha!
Oh, I see what you mean. I missed the reference to re-sitting UCAT.

It’s a good thing I am not sitting UCAT as clearly my comprehension skills are non-existent…

Back