Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

GEMSAS calculation of GPA question.

Nate89

Lurker
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can please clarify how GEMSAS determine an applicants weighted GPA?

My situation is that my university considers grades 85+ as HD's and with my current transcript I have a GPA of 6.2 (which I believe is not super competitive for med?). However I read somewhere on another post that GEMSAS consider a grade of 80+ as GPA7 irrespective of what your university weighs it as - If this is the case my GPA will be up to 6.7 which I'm hoping will be competitive enough. Any clarification you guys can provide would be super appreciated! :)

Cheers!

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi, welcome to MSO. Take a look at the table at the end of the Gemsas Guide. If your transcript shows the individual units' marks then ignore whether your uni is 80+ or 85+ and use the table's column A only.

Also Gemsas grades go in steps of 0.5 so 80+= 7, 75-79= 6.5, 70-74= 6 etc.

Note it doesn't automatically improve your GPA from 6.2 to 6.7, could be more could be less. If you have lots of 85+ HDs you will still get the same 7 for them so it won't improve the overall GPA by 0.5. Otoh if you have lots of 80-84 marks that get only 6 from your uni but now 7 with Gemsas.

Nate89

Lurker
Hi, welcome to MSO. Take a look at the table at the end of the Gemsas Guide. If your transcript shows the individual units' marks then ignore whether your uni is 80+ or 85+ and use the table's column A only.

Also Gemsas grades go in steps of 0.5 so 80+= 7, 75-79= 6.5, 70-74= 6 etc.

Note it doesn't automatically improve your GPA from 6.2 to 6.7, could be more could be less. If you have lots of 85+ HDs you will still get the same 7 for them so it won't improve the overall GPA by 0.5. Otoh if you have lots of 80-84 marks that get only 6 from your uni but now 7 with Gemsas.

Thanks for your response A1,

The situation is that there are quite a few 80 - 84's. I have just looked at my transcript and it doesn't include the numerical grade. Do you know if UAC/GEMSAS have access to the actual numerical grade for assessing a persons rank, or is it purely by the transcript you provide?

A1

Rookie Doc
Thanks for your response A1,

The situation is that there are quite a few 80 - 84's. I have just looked at my transcript and it doesn't include the numerical grade. Do you know if UAC/GEMSAS have access to the actual numerical grade for assessing a persons rank, or is it purely by the transcript you provide?

Gemsas will go by the academic records they get directly from your uni (if it's an Aus uni). My understanding is what they see should be the same as shown in the transcript you have i.e. either with or without the numerical marks.

Which uni is this btw? If you are certain the numerical grades are not shown then go by the other columns in the Gemsas table, pick the column designated to your uni.

Nate89

Lurker
Thanks again for your assistance A1,

University of Canberra is where I did my undergrad. I have used the GEMSAS GPA calculator which using the appropriate column for University of Canberra has come up with a weighted GPA of 6.67. I didn't include unit pass grades in my calculation (Bachelor of Nursing includes one UP grade for each semester).

Does this seem too high? again my transcript states GPA 6.2, I'm hoping the conversion is correct but feel it is way too much of a leap...

A1

Rookie Doc
University of Canberra is where I did my undergrad. I have used the GEMSAS GPA calculator which using the appropriate column for University of Canberra has come up with a weighted GPA of 6.67. I didn't include unit pass grades in my calculation (Bachelor of Nursing includes one UP grade for each semester).

Does this seem too high? again my transcript states GPA 6.2, I'm hoping the conversion is correct but feel it is way too much of a leap...

Normally it's quite probable for group-B GPA 6.2 to become Gemsas 6.67, thanks to the Ds that get 6.75 instead of just 6. However in your case I'm not sure if we can selectively exclude the Ungraded Passes. The Gemsas table says UPs are given 3.5 which to me seems very unfair if you are forced to count them in.

sunnyrain

Hi.
I was told that your first year grades have the least weighting on your GPA but I came across this formula for calculating the weighted GPA that seems to contradict this (that GEMSAS uses):
((Final-minus-2 GPA x1) + (Final-minus-1 GPA x2)) + (Final GPA x3))/6 and if I'm not mistaken, does it seem that the 1st year grades are counted more than the second year grades? Or am I reading this wrong?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Are you reading it as:

(GPA from two years prior to your final year [AKA first year if you did a three year degree] x 1) + (GPA from one year prior to your final year [AKA second year if you did a three year degree] x 2) + (GPA from the final year [of your three year degree] x3) etc…

chinaski

Hi.
I was told that your first year grades have the least weighting on your GPA but I came across this formula for calculating the weighted GPA that seems to contradict this (that GEMSAS uses):
((Final-minus-2 GPA x1) + (Final-minus-1 GPA x2)) + (Final GPA x3))/6 and if I'm not mistaken, does it seem that the 1st year grades are counted more than the second year grades? Or am I reading this wrong?
How are you interpreting this to imply the first year of a three year degree is weighted the heaviest? Genuinely puzzled!

sunnyrain

Are you reading it as:

(GPA from two years prior to your final year [AKA first year if you did a three year degree] x 1) + (GPA from one year prior to your final year [AKA second year if you did a three year degree] x 2) + (GPA from the final year [of your three year degree] x3) etc…
ohhhhhhh I was reading it incorrectly. 😬 This makes so much more sense!! Thank you so much!!

How are you interpreting this to imply the first year of a three year degree is weighted the heaviest? Genuinely puzzled!
I thought when it said minus 2 it meant minus 2nd year so final year minus 2 meaning 3rd year minus 2nd year. But that's obviously wrong

chinaski

Oh right - I see now. They have used that "minus" nomenclature there because not all degrees are three years long (so in a four year degree, for instance, first year would not be counted).