General Interview Discussion 2018

Discussion in 'Interviews' started by GottaGo, Aug 5, 2018.

1. hs2000

hs2000 New Member

What is the format of the JMP interview? It is an MMI? How many interviewers in the panel, how long does it last etc.?

2. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

3. hs2000

hs2000 New Member

How did people find the PQA task at the JMP interviews? Was it difficult and how long did it go for?

4. Rupert

Rupert New Member

does any know about GCE A levels results notification system @ SATAC / UAC / VTAC
    do we have to send results to them or Admissions Center picks it up from CIE.

Also interested in SATAC because I did the interview in Nov @ ADL. How do SATAC get these results.
    please help

================================
    A:
    > Entrance to Australian universities » NZQA
    =================================
    Q:
    I understand NZQA gives results to Australian Unis but what about who do Cambridge A Levels..
    Are they released to Unis in Autralia automatically..

5. Potater

Potater New Member

without breaching the NDA, it's almost like a simple survey. It has 1 hour of time allocated for it but most people don't take that long.

hs2000 likes this.
  6. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    I can only find some info from TISC(WA), nothing from UAC/SATAC
    > TISCOnline - Applying Online (Overseas secondary studies)

7. Smelly Boy

Smelly Boy Big Boy

I’m just quoting wat he said & he said reimbursed but I think he meant paid

Also he wasn’t an interview he was just those med students that help make the day run smoothly

8. ELLA56

ELLA56 New Member

Hi all!

Not sure if this is the right place, but need some advice so I can arrange my preferences
    I applied with the intention of deferring for a year. The WSU website says MD is exempt from deferral though:
    How to defer your offer - Starting at Western Sydney University
    Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this and what the process is for JMP? Is it exempt here too?

9. Smelly Boy

Smelly Boy Big Boy

I emailed WSU & JMP about this

WSU replied saying that you can’t defer the offer but you can enrol & then apply for a 12 month break from studying (& then you can’t do this 12 month break thing again I think)

JMP replied saying you can defer your offer

10. ELLA56

ELLA56 New Member

Oh Pheww. Thanks so much for your reply!

Smelly Boy likes this.
  11. Narendra Gammanpila

Narendra Gammanpila New Member

hey could someone help me out real quick :)

what kind of feelings are natural after doing an interview? i originally felt happy and good walking out but a few days later im starting to reflect and think that i could have said things slightly differently that may have even been better? im really not sure whether this is a normal feeling to have after an interview. does everyone feel like this?

Smelly Boy likes this.
  12. Smelly Boy

Smelly Boy Big Boy

During my lunch break at work today I was googling this & reading american pre-med forums & basically my conclusion from reading is that it’s quite common for people to feel a certain way regarding how they went & then their feeling conflicting with the actual results. It’s also very common for people to replay it in their head and think of extra things to say that wouldve been good (in their opinion). I honestly think it’s best if you just try & forget it & keep yourself busy.

Luckily for me I have full time work during my holiday so I can keep my mind off the interview but i still wonder about it before bed here & there!

Also it’s important to realise that nobody has perfect answers for all the MMI questions. It’s OK to have some things missing & have answers that aren’t perfect. It’s absolutely normal. You were in a high pressure environment & so was everyone else. Everyone was nervous & I can guarantee that everyone missed out on saying something they would’ve said if they weren’t in such a high pressure context & had a clearer mind.

Personally, I felt like for my JMP interview that I nailed 2 stations on the head, & did the other 6 pretty well. Wasn’t unhappy with any of them. I felt like I did pretty good. I hope what’s ‘pretty good’ for me is good enough for a spot in the JMP :D

13. Numerouno

Numerouno New Member

I am back in the thick again with presentations due next week. Did not have much time to reflect on my JMP performance in the long haul flight...damn tired to be honest. Three days of leave was hard to get of which two days went in flying (lucky I had the weekend in between), there was no time to complain the jet lag (23 hours).

The MSA was very interesting ... a good experience, different to what I experienced overseas. I felt very comfortable in all barring one station and put in a decent show. The PQA was an unknown as everyone finished within 30 minutes including me. Overall, I felt satisfied but whatever the outcome, I will take it. Last year I felt after the UNSW interview, I conquered it only to face the negative at the end...so I have a balanced thinking this time with no real expectations. Good luck to all in any future interviews from other states. Don't brood over it, you have done it already and can not undo the performance...if you feel you have given your max potential, there will be a reward. Best wishes.

Littlebro, drpkjr and squashed like this.
  14. Tunoora

Tunoora New Member

Anyone know when UNSW interview offers come out?

15. Smelly Boy

Smelly Boy Big Boy

14 December (same day as NSW ATAR release)

LMG! likes this.
  16. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    Yes they can do same day delivery since the unis get to see ATAR results a few days before students.

Smelly Boy and sarangiya like this.
  17. Injamesall

Injamesall New Member

Just something thats been eating away at me for a bit. I had an Adelaide interview last week on Wednesday (which has two stations and two interviewers per station). First station seemed fine, the interviewers were neutral but attentive.

In the second station I struggled hard near the start. Halfway through, one of the interviewers kept staring directly at the other interviewer for like 20 seconds at a time. It was extremely off putting and I think it may be because he thought I was too well prepared or rehearsed, and was signalling this to the other interviewer? Am I just going crazy due to anxiety or is this something that interviewers can/will do?

katie1234 and Smelly Boy like this.
  18. Smelly Boy

Smelly Boy Big Boy

I know that you already know this but you should ignore whatever you think the interviewers did to suggest you weren’t a good candidate.

Firstly, I think you’re overstating how long the staring was. I mean just time 20 seconds on your phone using the stopwatch... that’s a LONG time. imagine staring at another interviewer for that long in front of an applicant. Does it take that long to signal that you seem rehearsed? If anything maybe the interviewer fancied the other interviewer ;)

I really just think they may have been looking at something that was on the other side of the interviewer or they felt awkward not speaking so they shifted their eyes elsewhere. If this isn’t the case then you could assume that maybe they did that to test how you react in stressful situations. I know that at almost every medicine interview they have some way of doing this. At mine there was a person who seemed proper pissed off every time I asked him to repeat a question (at the end we laughed but idk where that came from) because he was literally scoffing while speaking. Turns out he did that to my friend as well. Another one of my friends did an ANU grad interview last year and his interviewer called him a liar when he said he enjoyed watching a certain sport & supported a certain team but when asked if he watched any of the games recently he said no because he was really really busy with his honours stuff. The interviewer said it’s not a good look to lie in your interview. He ended up getting a spot in the course probably because he handled it well.

I’ve read on forums that some interviewers respond things like “did you really just use that example” when they ask a question like give me an example of when you’ve worked in a team. Turns out they did something like that for every applicant.

You get the point of what I’m saying. Bottom line is don’t worry :D

GreenGrapes and Injamesall like this.
  19. Injamesall

Injamesall New Member

Thanks man, think I might take a break from the forum lol. Hopefully it all goes well.

Smelly Boy likes this.
  20. Smelly Boy

Smelly Boy Big Boy

Good luck in taking a break from the forum & with the whole application process : ))

GreenGrapes likes this.