Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Interview Discussion 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

GottaGo

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how many interview places are offered for Monash Med direct entry? I know that there are about 1500 applicants (first preference) for the school leaver option, but I couldn't find anything about how many interview places were offered.

Cheers :)

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey everyone,
Does anyone know how many interview places are offered for Monash Med direct entry? I know that there are about 1500 applicants (first preference) for the school leaver option, but I couldn't find anything about how many interview places were offered.

Based on number of MMI circuits & sessions we estimated around 500 Vic & rural + 100 interstate non-rural interview spots.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Based on number of MMI circuits & sessions we estimated around 500 Vic & rural + 100 interstate non-rural interview spots.

Does 1500 applicants sound low to you, A1? With Monash being the only (?) undergrad Med option in Victoria, I feel like Med applicants nationwide would have Monash Med as first preference in VTAC, and that applicant numbers would be much higher.

ETA: Also, I'm going to generalise the thread title to make it more user-friendly for this year and interview related questions in general, otherwise we will have new threads popping up every five minutes.

A1

Rookie Doc
Does 1500 applicants sound low to you, A1? With Monash being the only (?) undergrad Med option in Victoria, I feel like Med applicants nationwide would have Monash Med as first preference in VTAC, and that applicant numbers would be much higher.

It does sound low, typically 3000+ to each school but since GottaGo wrote they knew (from some source?) I wasn't keen to dispute.

(EtA: Possibly GottaGo meant 1500 *Vic* applicants, the others are interstate)

Last edited:

GottaGo

It does sound low, typically 3000+ to each school but since GottaGo wrote they knew (from some source?) I wasn't keen to dispute.

(EtA: Possibly GottaGo meant 1500 *Vic* applicants, the others are interstate)

I thought it was low too, but that's what it said from TheCourier newspaper (as of December 20, 2017 from VTAC). I just checked the vtac website and it says that there were 2184 applications for school leaver entry (not ERC). Maybe I'm reading the reports wrong, but it does seems low haha.

Thanks for the rough interviewee number though!

Cocoa

Cocoa here is good if you need to ask anything :D
Ok I do have a question: Just checked UWS website it says "MMI interviews between 26-30 Nov no interviews outside these dates." I cant find any different dates for interstate applicants, does anyone know if UWS will have separate interstate interviews later?

A1

Rookie Doc
Ok I do have a question: Just checked UWS website it says "MMI interviews between 26-30 Nov no interviews outside these dates." I cant find any different dates for interstate applicants, does anyone know if UWS will have separate interstate interviews later?

After seeing this webpage I had posted earlier it looks like WSU is going the same way as Adelaide - just one round of interview for all. No more second/separate round in January for interstate applicants.

Q3

After seeing this webpage I had posted earlier it looks like WSU is going the same way as Adelaide - just one round of interview for all. No more second/separate round in January for interstate applicants.

A1 What implications would this have? Do they still interview the same amount of people? If they have the same number of interview slots then there would be less interviewees than previous years thus making it more competitive.

Last edited:

Cocoa

Yes it does look like it .. hopefully they won't clash with each other. Assuming I get interviews for both :yay:

A1

Rookie Doc
A1 What implications would this have? Do they still interview the same amount of people? If they have the same number of interview slots then there would be less interviewees than previous years thus making it more competitive.

The interstate interview round was only 1 day for 80-100 students. It's not difficult to add one more day to the Nov round to maintain the same overall amount of interviewees so I'm inclined to think WSU will do this.

Yes it does look like it .. hopefully they won't clash with each other. Assuming I get interviews for both :yay:

WSU interview dates 26-30 Nov, Adelaide late Nov into Dec (from memory Adelaide interview period spans over 8-10 days for 800 students). Book a Dec date for Adelaide you'll be fine
> https://health.adelaide.edu.au/sites/default/files/docs/2019-medicine-surgery-admissions-guide.pdf

can2608

Hey everyone! I just wanted to ask, does anyone know approximately how many people get interviews for WSU each year (and the total number of non-rural, domestic places available, including bonded)?

As an extension, what are the chances of gaining a place if invited to interview? Are there any preferences for GWS or is that disregarded once interviews have been sent out? Thanks in advance :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey everyone! I just wanted to ask, does anyone know approximately how many people get interviews for WSU each year (and the total number of non-rural, domestic places available, including bonded)?

As an extension, what are the chances of gaining a place if invited to interview? Are there any preferences for GWS or is that disregarded once interviews have been sent out? Thanks in advance :)

As we understand it, there are different pools of applicants: general, rural, and GWS. The overall cohort is 110 and the rural cohort is a minimum of 15. I am not sure what the minimum GWS cohort is. When attending my rural interview last year, it was suggested that ~45 rural applicants had received interview invites, and this fit with our understanding that WSU interviews 3 x the number of places it has, so your chances of an offer (likely regardless of what category you fall into, and once you've received an interview) are about 1 in 3.

A1

Rookie Doc
When will these Ib students get interviews? Same time as HSC students or not?

Haha that's a tricky question w.r.t UNSW. With the unis where ATAR is a hurdle (not weighted into ranking eg. WSU JMP) they will get interviews same as HSC students, the ATAR/IB will only be verified at the place offer stage in January.

UNSW from this year no longer uses predicted ATAR. On 14-Dec when ATARs are released they will send out interview invites to attend 17-21 Dec. This is all before IB results are released. I suspect NSW IB students will be delayed to the interstate round in late January.

L2568

Haha that's a tricky question w.r.t UNSW. With the unis where ATAR is a hurdle (not weighted into ranking eg. WSU JMP) they will get interviews same as HSC students, the ATAR/IB will only be verified at the place offer stage in January.

UNSW from this year no longer uses predicted ATAR. On 14-Dec when ATARs are released they will send out interview invites to attend 17-21 Dec. This is all before IB results are released. I suspect NSW IB students will be delayed to the interstate round in late January.

You are right. I just checked the UNSW website and find the January round is 18th.

hpfanfiction

Paediatric Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital
Emeritus Staff
When will these Ib students get interviews? Same time as HSC students or not?
When do your results become available ?
Hope it’s before Jan 7
Local applicants | Medicine
“Applications cannot be considered for entry if results are not made available to UAC by 7 January in the year where students commence their studies with us.

The reason for the need for this deadline is to allow main round offers to be finalised and also to determine interstate interviewees for the late January round of interviews. It is usually the case that the only students adversely affected by this deadline for results are students who sit one of the "A" Level examinations and university students with unresolved exam results. We will do our best to consider these applicants, but cannot guarantee it.“

Status
Not open for further replies.