Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Interview Discussion 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an ATAR of 98.25 (IB 40) and UMAT 92%ile
Hi mickeymoose! I have no special considerations!!
I'd say our marks are pretty similar, but the thing is that UNSW send me a rejection email this morning. "I regret to inform you that you have not been selected for the interviews which are being conducted in January 2019."
ATAR: 98.8 (IB 41) UMAT: 91 percentile (58,60,62).
I also did not receive an invite from Curtin. I don't know what's going on. Sigh. I am just sad now.

lillysayse

MBBS III
I'd say our marks are pretty similar, but the thing is that UNSW send me a rejection email this morning. "I regret to inform you that you have not been selected for the interviews which are being conducted in January 2019."
I also did not receive an invite from Curtin. I don't know what's going on. Sigh. I am just sad now.

Sorry to hear that mickeymoose. It sounds strange. Unfortunately their e-mail address is just sending generic emails now too, so it's difficult to contact them :(

If this is your only interview for this year then I would strongly recommend that you take it, because a small chance is better than no chance and the cost is much less than doing a whole year of something you would prefer less.

Truer words have never been spoken. Thanks for that!

The cutoffs for UNSW round 2 interviews are based on the lowest round 1 *successful* scores. That means since that applicant succeeded you can too, although considering both your ATAR and UMAT are towards the low end you will need a stellar interview.

Can confirm UNSW never likes to use UMAT percentile, whenever they mention a score it's the average of the three sections.

Yikes... thanks. As long as I have a chance, I'm up for it. :lol:

letmedomedicine Could you post a screenshot of where it said UMAT 60 please? Sorry for the hassle

Nah don't apologise! Here's a screenshot

Damn that sucks. Our marks are pretty similar. Are you also from NSW?

Medtastic

Do we reckon the 98.2 Atar cutoff UNSW refers to in the interview offer email for interstate applicants is the unadjusted ATAR or the selection rank when adjustment factors are applied? If it’s just the Atar, is it possible that the nsw applicant with this Atar also had adjustment factors applied that led to them being offered a place in the jan 1st offer round? Not sure if that makes sense sorry

goodluck

Hey, I got an interview offer for Curtin university but I just have some doubts about it. I think my UMAT and ATAR are both under what they require for interviews (98.40, 174 umat) so I'm confused on how I got a place. It will be somewhat financially draining to go there and I sound pessimistic but is there a point in going if I'm below the cutoff, since all the places I have found have been to 99+ stars? I got rejected from my only other offer of JMP, so that might be influencing my mood somewhat, so I apologise for that.

Since I'm not from WA, would it be hard to come back to my home state if I do get an offer?

Reactions: NG

NG

Hey, I got an interview offer for Curtin university but I just have some doubts about it. I think my UMAT and ATAR are both under what they require for interviews (98.40, 174 umat) so I'm confused on how I got a place. It will be somewhat financially draining to go there and I sound pessimistic but is there a point in going if I'm below the cutoff, since all the places I have found have been to 99+ stars? I got rejected from my only other offer of JMP, so that might be influencing my mood somewhat, so I apologise for that.

Since I'm not from WA, would it be hard to come back to my home state if I do get an offer?
oh my gosh nooooo do not reject an inteview to curtin!! The mean atar last year was 98.5 with the upper 25th percentile being 99.25 and above. So you are very much still competitive for curtin. I can imagine this year the cut offs rising a little however, receiving an interview invite gives you a rough 1 in 3 chance of ACTUALLY get an offer, because uwa and curtin both dont interview a whole lot! so please DON'T count yourself out soo soon without atleast trying! GOODLUCK!!

Edit by mod - changed "offer" to interview invite

weebuforreal

stats noob and a definite weaboo
Hi all. I just got an interview invite from UNSW (wasn't expecting it at all)
The email made it very clear that the cut-off scores are now ATAR 98.2 and UMAT 60 but that all three components need to be sufficiently high.
On top of that, the email stressed "Please think carefully about this when considering the time, effort and money you will need to invest to attend an interview"

I got an ATAR of 98.25 (IB 40) and UMAT 92%ile so given that all three components need to be sufficiently high, do you think there's any point in doing an interview?

I mean obviously I don't want to give up but .... yeah idk

I just got an interview invite for Curtin, and I'm just curious to know whether they have/have had in the past a cut-off like this- in particular for UMAT. I'm asking because I'm not from WA, and I don't want to get my hopes up falsely if there's already a cut-off score set up and it's only gonna be a waste of time and money to go to the interview.

lillysayse

MBBS III
I just got an interview invite for Curtin, and I'm just curious to know whether they have/have had in the past a cut-off like this- in particular for UMAT. I'm asking because I'm not from WA, and I don't want to get my hopes up falsely if there's already a cut-off score set up and it's only gonna be a waste of time and money to go to the interview.

There's no cut-off. It's weighted 40% interview 40% ATAR and 20% umat.

You just need 50/50/50 to be eligible, that's it. Also based off what I saw with a few of my friends in 2018 and 2017, I'm pretty sure that the cutoff for interview invites has gone up, which is probably expected after the school's first couple years.
It would be a good idea to attend the interview (in my opinion), 40% of a place offer is a lot of weighting so a good interview could land you a spot.

Hi all, just a general question - if you already got a rejection email from UoN for interview back in Oct, would they re-consider offering you a 2nd round interview in later day ? Thanks.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Hi all, just a general question - if you already got a rejection email from UoN for interview back in Oct, would they re-consider offering you a 2nd round interview in later day ? Thanks.

It's highly unlikely the S1 cutoff for JMP would drop to 56 even if this were to happen - there are just too many more applicants to interview.

Hi, I’m an interstate applicant who is going to the JMP interview on the 23rd/24th of January. What time does the interview start on those days? I’m trying to book a flight out of Newcastle on the 24th, the only time is 7:30pm so hopefully the interview should be over by then?

If anyone knows, any help would be appreciated.

Numerouno

You just need 50/50/50 to be eligible, that's it. Also based off what I saw with a few of my friends in 2018 and 2017, I'm pretty sure that the cutoff for interview invites has gone up, which is probably expected after the school's first couple years.
It would be a good idea to attend the interview (in my opinion), 40% of a place offer is a lot of weighting so a good interview could land you a spot.
I got an interview invite (ATAR 99.20 and 94%ile UMAT) but I will not attend as I am overseas. Out of curiosity I wonder how many interstate interviews are offered vs the places for Interstate offers. I think it would be very small in comparison to other schools as I understand that the total number of places available for the year is 70 and the interstate would be 10 or so... just a guess. Do we have any stats on Curtin for interstate? They mentioned 50 in all sections of UMAT for consideration but not a cut off for selection for interviews and many have missed out after securing higher than those scores in all sections. It could be stricter due to small number of seats available as well.

I got an interview invite (ATAR 99.20 and 94%ile UMAT) but I will not attend as I am overseas. Out of curiosity I wonder how many interstate interviews are offered vs the places for Interstate offers. I think it would be very small in comparison to other schools as I understand that the total number of places available for the year is 70 and the interstate would be 10 or so... just a guess. Do we have any stats on Curtin for interstate? They mentioned 50 in all sections of UMAT for consideration but not a cut off for selection for interviews and many have missed out after securing higher than those scores in all sections. It could be stricter due to small number of seats available as well.

In reality, nobody will get in with the bare minimum scores considering how competitive entry is. The 50/50/50 rule is just to be considered for entry.
Going on the TISC statistics for last years (2017/18) offers, 78 total offers were made and 34 of those were WACE (West Australian) students. The rest would be non-standards and interstate (I think). These are just offers so some people would've rejected, but it's a decent indication I think.

This website has all the stats for offers and enrolments - pretty useful.

TISCOnline - Publications, Reports and Statistics

A cutoff for interviews this year would've been low 80s %ile based off what I saw. A friend with 81st %ile missed out on an interview invite whereas one with 84th %ile made it, with similar predicted ATARs. But this is for non-rural, WA students. I'm guessing the interview cutoff for interstate might be higher?

weebuforreal

stats noob and a definite weaboo
Soz, I'm gonna intrude here with a totally different topic...so, considering that Curtin is a relatively new med school, there's not a lot of info out there about Curtin MMIs (just one short thread from last year). I was wondering if any veterans on here have any info about it that they can share with us (without breaking the NDA of course ;)). One question in particular I have is- do they ask more than one question per 6-minute station (i.e. are there follow-ups)?

Last edited:

Soz, I'm gonna intrude here with a totally different topic...so, considering that Curtin is a relatively new med school, there's not a lot of info out there about Curtin MMIs (just one short thread from 2 years ago). I was wondering if any veterans on here have any info about it that they can share with us (without breaking the NDA of course ;)). One question in particular I have is- do they ask more than one question per 6-minute station (i.e. are there follow-ups)?

Yes, there are follow-ups.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi, I’m an interstate applicant who is going to the JMP interview on the 23rd/24th of January. What time does the interview start on those days? I’m trying to book a flight out of Newcastle on the 24th, the only time is 7:30pm so hopefully the interview should be over by then?

If anyone knows, any help would be appreciated.

My interview went from 8.30 - about midday for 2018 entry. There was also an afternoon session.

7.30pm should be totally fine to fly out, I’d think.

Status
Not open for further replies.