Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Interview Discussion 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coughee

Lurker
Hi everyone! I'm beyond ecstatic that I managed to snag an interview at UNSW!
I just wanted to ask (if this is something that is allowed to be answered)- how structured is the UNSW interview? Do they just have a set list of questions or do they tend to also ask other questions based on what you say?

lucky888

Hi Guys.. I just attended the interview for Monash. However I just realised that I didn’t put “rural cohort” in my preference. I thought it is only one VTAC code for Monash and didn’t know that BMP has different VTAC code. What should I do now? I am really stressed..
Thanks everyone.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi Guys.. I just attended the interview for Monash. However I just realised that I didn’t put “rural cohort” in my preference. I thought it is only one VTAC code for Monash and didn’t know that BMP has different VTAC code. What should I do now? I am really stressed..
Thanks everyone.
Are you an interstate applicant? I would send an email to the medical faculty today and explain that you didn’t realise there were two different codes and that you’d love to be eligible for the ERC, then call them up tomorrow. You’d need to make sure you add the ERC to your preference list in VTAC for this to work out for you as well,
I imagine. I’m unsure whether this is still possible for medicine but the VTAC site suggests you can change preferences any time between offer rounds - Lear may be able to give more details.

I’m not sure whether they’d allow it but if you’re ranked high enough for an ERC place but not a direct entry place Monash may prefer to offer you a place over a lower ranked applicant.

FYI - The two different course codes are for the direct entry pathway and the ERC; you are already eligible for a BMP place by applying for the direct entry pathway and this is not its own course code on VTAC. Make sure you understand the difference before getting in touch with anyone!

Good luck :) Please let us know what Monash’s response is.

Last edited:

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
Thanks everyone.

Hey,
BMP =\= ERC
ERC means you do your clinical years in a rural hospital while BMP means you do your clinical years like other Monash students but just have to work in an area of shortage for one year AFTER you finish the course.

I’d agree with Crow, call up Monash and see if you can try and get your self on the ERC applicant list. However, you’ll only be able to change VTAC preferences after the first round and i’m not sure how many ERC spots they give first round compared to second (there’s 30 in total IIRC)

lucky888

Hey,
BMP =\= ERC
ERC means you do your clinical years in a rural hospital while BMP means you do your clinical years like other Monash students but just have to work in an area of shortage for one year AFTER you finish the course.

I’d agree with Crow, call up Monash and see if you can try and get your self on the ERC applicant list. However, you’ll only be able to change VTAC preferences after the first round and i’m not sure how many ERC spots they give first round compared to second (there’s 30 in total IIRC)

Thanks Lear and Crow.
So just to confirm I automatically will be considered for BMP but not for ERC. Please confirm if my understanding correct. Just to make sure I get this thing right :(
I will call Monash tomorrow.

BTW Crow I am Victorian :)

Last edited by a moderator:

weebuforreal

stats noob and a definite weaboo
Another question about Curtin MMIs...have they had videos/images that the candidate observes and describes?

Also...to bring back attention to my previous question, how many questions have they typically asked per station (assuming the typical ethical scenario station, for example)?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Another question about Curtin MMIs...have they had videos/images that the candidate observes and describes?
An answer to this will be in breach of the NDA. Keep in mind we also want to ensure all candidates in the current admissions cycle go into the interview on equal footing - this means not giving extra advantageous information to later round interviewees that first round interviewees didn't have.

weebuforreal

stats noob and a definite weaboo
Keep in mind we also want to ensure all candidates in the current admissions cycle go into the interview on equal footing - this means not giving extra advantageous information to later round interviewees that first round interviewees didn't have.

I am aware of this. I was just hoping that the answer to that question wouldn't breach the NDA. :)

Numerouno

Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask...or if it was discussed already before, I have a short term memory loss, I will fire it away anyway.

If anyone knows the details please clarify this for me.
I discarded the invitations to attend interviews for
Adelaide, JCU and now CURTIN. I attended JMP. (unsuccessful). If Monash comes, I will have to relinquish that too...why?
Question: Is it correct that I cannot enrol into any Medicine (MBBS or MD) course anywhere in Australia as I am already enrolled into a Medicine course overseas (UK) and completed a semester? Where does this rule reside... any link please?

I thought this was answered to me that Australia does not allow entering into a medical course as a School leaver or gap year (not in strict sense as I enrolled in Medicine in Sep 2018) like in my case so I cancelled all my interview offers. I will do the same for Monash if I get one... can someone enlighten me?

Looks like I shot myself in the foot by enrolling into this UK med because it was one of the best in the world but faraway from home. This deprived me all the chances I could have taken up in those interviews. Anyway there is no going back but happy I scored a distinction average in this semester in Medicine, close to HD in Ischemic Heart Disease Brochure prep. . So it’s gaining momentum and challenging.

JMP was one hit I had with a massive travel in three days to and fro with a massive jet lag but did not make the cut at the end. Can anyone answer me please (again) with the rule of overseas Med student enrolling into a Med course in Australia. btw I am a true blue, Citizen of Australia. Thanks for taking the time to read.

A1

Rookie Doc
Can anyone answer me please (again) with the rule of overseas Med student enrolling into a Med course in Australia. btw I am a true blue, Citizen of Australia. Thanks for taking the time to read.

The rule that you mostly "fell foul" of is most undergrad/provisional schools do not accept applicants who have commenced uni studies (regardless in Aus or overseas), except the five schools that accept non-standard applicants: JCU, UNSW, WSU, JMP, Bond (not counting Curtin accepting grads only).

Then of these 5 schools, UNSW also excludes anyone who is already doing a Med course. We don't know whether that means an Aus med course, or regardless in Aus or overseas.

jamesatwestbeach

Flinders MD 2024
Hi guys, I saw that letmedomedicine posted that the interview cut-offs for UNSW were 98.2 and 60 UMAT, I'm a non-standard applicant with 97.55 ATAR (2017) and 7 GPA and I received 182 in the UMAT (92nd). I ended up getting a rejection email back in the main round of offers late last year. Therefore, considering my scores are above the cutoff (Going off the fact my GPA of 7 = 99.5) do you think its worth trying to contact them?

Hi guys, I saw that letmedomedicine posted that the interview cut-offs for UNSW were 98.2 and 60 UMAT, I'm a non-standard applicant with 97.55 ATAR (2017) and 7 GPA and I received 182 in the UMAT (92nd). I ended up getting a rejection email back in the main round of offers late last year. Therefore, considering my scores are above the cutoff (Going off the fact my GPA of 7 = 99.5) do you think its worth trying to contact them?

I want to add I'm an interstate applicant from Adelaide; however, for some reason I got a rejection in the main round.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

I want to add I'm an interstate applicant from Adelaide; however, for some reason I got a rejection in the main round.

Last year I had a very similar ATAR to you (I can’t remember exactly because it’s from a gazillion years ago, but it was 97.xx), GPA 7.00, and UMAT 198 (98th%ile), and I got an email saying I could attend an interview if I wanted but that it was virtually impossible for me to land a place (I think I was given a 5% chance!). So, unfortunately, I think your UMAT is a bit too low, and the combo with a lowish ATAR/GPA average (it’s 50/50) has left you below what would be needed. I can’t imagine anything would come of following up, unfortunately, but for your peace of mind you may want to regardless.

Medtastic

Hi,
I was just wondering how people who applied for EAS on here found out how many bonus points they got from UAC or universities?
Not sure if your question has already been answered but I just called up UAC and they told me to call UNSW, so I called them and at first they said they couldn't tell me my adjusted rank. However, they did end up telling me that everyone that is eligible for EAS at UNSW receives 10 bonus points, which eventually led to UNSW confirming that my adjusted ATAR is 99.95. Hope this helps.

1234med

Not sure if your question has already been answered but I just called up UAC and they told me to call UNSW, so I called them and at first they said they couldn't tell me my adjusted rank. However, they did end up telling me that everyone that is eligible for EAS at UNSW receives 10 bonus points, which eventually led to UNSW confirming that my adjusted ATAR is 99.95. Hope this helps.
What's your unadjusted ATAR and UMAT?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

Smelly Boy I wonder if this is the same for SCATS?

Hi, can anyone tell me how many interview offers in total does the University of Sydney give out for their Med and Dent courses respectively? I know they take only 30 students in. - for double degree undergrad course.
I am wondering whether it is worth going to as I have already received an offer of place at Flinders. Any advice is welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.