Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Interview Discussion and Questions 2020 Entry

apk22

Hey guys, very bizarre situation here... I'm currently on a gap year and since sitting the UCAT in July I haven't had to use my brain very much. I'm currently just attempting some MMI practise questions of the internet and I'm a little bit concerned as I don't feel as switched on as I remember myself being in February when I was preparing for my Bond interview. I kind of just feel like I'm not able to think of very concise answers for questions. Even when I'm thinking about the basic question of 'why do you want to study medicine?' I really feel as though I don't know how to even start with answering the question. Does anyone have any advice on this (other than 'just keep practising') and if any gap year students can relate I'd love to hear your thoughts??

Gav10

stats noob but not a weaboo
Hey guys, very bizarre situation here... I'm currently on a gap year and since sitting the UCAT in July I haven't had to use my brain very much. I'm currently just attempting some MMI practise questions of the internet and I'm a little bit concerned as I don't feel as switched on as I remember myself being in February when I was preparing for my Bond interview. I kind of just feel like I'm not able to think of very concise answers for questions. Even when I'm thinking about the basic question of 'why do you want to study medicine?' I really feel as though I don't know how to even start with answering the question. Does anyone have any advice on this (other than 'just keep practising') and if any gap year students can relate I'd love to hear your thoughts??
I totally relate to you, man. It's really easy for your brain to switch off when it's not being used very much- didn't even take a week for it to happen to me. XD
However, I have put an effort to keep using my brain by doing stuff like word puzzles, reading for leisure, etc. Maybe you should start some regular hobby at least now to get back into the habit of using it. Also spend time thinking every day about potential answers, like in your free time, initially more than just hardcore practising interview questions. This is more productive than fruitlessly attempting to unsuccessfully answer questions.

Frankly, I still need to regain my intellect for the interviews, so this is only advice that's in the workings for me, but maybe you'll find something useful in it.

I Can't Hear U

Hufflepuff, WBU?
Hi, just wondering, based on past years, what are the roundabouts of the dates that UNSW releases their offers for local applicants? And when are interview invites for Monash sent out for interstate students? Just wondering if it would be unwise to book a short holiday during January. Thanks

LMG!

Admodistrator
Hi, just wondering, based on past years, what are the roundabouts of the dates that UNSW releases their offers for local applicants? And when are interview invites for Monash sent out for interstate students? Just wondering if it would be unwise to book a short holiday during January. Thanks
First round UNSW offers are the same as the first UAC round in January.

Monash interview invites to interstate (and IB) applicants appear to have gone out on the 7th of Jan for 2019 entry.

I Can't Hear U

Hufflepuff, WBU?
First round UNSW offers are the same as the first UAC round in January.

Monash interview invites to interstate (and IB) applicants appear to have gone out on the 7th of Jan for 2019 entry.
Oops silly me, just searched it up and the Monash website states that:
From Tuesday 14 January 2020Interstate applicants will be advised of interview eligibility for Medicine

Just in case anyone else is wondering :)

I Can't Hear U

Hufflepuff, WBU?
Hi, sorry I have another question

Looking through the collated data for 2019 entry place offers for University of Queensland Med, could someone give me an explanation of why the latter 2 students with higher ATARs were offered BMP while the first student was offered a CSP, with an identical UMAT percentile and a lower ATAR? Is there some weighting that I am unaware of?

189 (95th%ile) 67/54/68, 99.35, CSP, will be declining to attend UTAS
189 (95th%ile) 55/87/47, 99.55, BMP
188 (95th%ile) 63/58/66, 99.85, BMP,

LMG!

Admodistrator

Looking through the collated data for 2019 entry place offers for University of Queensland Med, could someone give me an explanation of why the latter 2 students with higher ATARs were offered BMP while the first student was offered a CSP, with an identical UMAT percentile and a lower ATAR? Is there some weighting that I am unaware of?

Because once you’re over 99.00, it all comes down to UMAT raw score and they had lower raw scores. Also, I believe the TACs got UMAT scores to 4 decimal places.

Logic

Medical Student
Silliest Member 2018

What LMG! said. Also I'm not 100% sure about this so hopefully A1 can confirm but I believe the section scores you were given for UMAT were ones that were rounded by ACER (the people who made UMAT) but UQ got the original unrounded scores and would round down or something along those lines?

LMG!

Admodistrator
What LMG! said. Also I'm not 100% sure about this so hopefully A1 can confirm but I believe the section scores you are given are ones that are rounded by ACER (the people who made UMAT) but UQ got the original unrounded scores and would round down or something along those lines?
I think it was that QTAC got unrounded scores and did something weird when they added them that could actually disadvantage people right at the various cut offs? Does that ring bells?

A1

Admissions Speculator

For tied applicants UQ used S1 for tiebreak. Effectively you can view S1 as decimal part of the ranking so for the three scores above
189.67 > 189.55 > 188.63 and the latter two got BMP (the unbonded cutoff being between 189.67 & 189.55).

Regarding the other matter it's not that UQ used section scores with decimals. UQ used the sum of the three *rounded* section scores so on many occasions what UQ used was different to the actual Overall score which ACER included the sections' decimals.

hpras12

For UWA interviews do you get to pick which day you can attend interview like university of adelaide. I don't want there to be a clash between interviews. Im in WA so I'm not interstate for UWA.

LMG!

Admodistrator
For UWA interviews do you get to pick which day you can attend interview like university of adelaide. I don't want there to be a clash between interviews. Im in WA so I'm not interstate for UWA.
I’m fairly certain that the majority of universities allow you to select your own day/time within the dates that they set. I vaguely recall that JMP and perhaps one other university are unusual in that they allocate you a slot. So long story short, I think UWA let you book your own.

A1

Admissions Speculator
I’m fairly certain that the majority of universities allow you to select your own day/time within the dates that they set. I vaguely recall that JMP and perhaps one other university are unusual in that they allocate you a slot. So long story short, I think UWA let you book your own.
Unless things change this year I can confirm UWA let you book your interview slot.

JMP & JCU used to allocate but now JMP is the only one.

R.Em.Bee

Yeah, I thought it would come out today but I just re-read my email from Sue Gardner (JMP) who said “w/c 11th Nov”
ie) ‘week-commencing’…so not necessarily today
…That’s dramatically reduced the ‘frequency’ of refreshing I was doing a few hrs ago…