Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Interview Discussion and Questions 2020 Entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

deena9999

Lurker
What do I need to know about indigenous people of Australia for my MMI interview, specifically with the University of Monash! Please help!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
What do I need to know about indigenous people of Australia for my MMI interview, specifically with the University of Monash! Please help!
Monash has its applicants sign a NDA when they interview, so questions about the specific interview questions won’t be able to be answered.

I’d recommend you gain an understanding of the health disparities between First Peoples and non-Indigenous Australians, and the reasons behind these disparities. It’s really important to know regardless of whether it’s going to come up in an interview or not (and I’d argue those who don’t work in healthcare should have this understanding as well).

ETA: I’ve changed the thread name so any discussions and questions pertaining to the interviews for 2020 entry can go in here.

deena9999

Lurker
Monash has its applicants sign a NDA when they interview, so questions about the specific interview questions won’t be able to be answered.

I’d recommend you gain an understanding of the health disparities between First Peoples and non-Indigenous Australians, and the reasons behind these disparities. It’s really important to know regardless of whether it’s going to come up in an interview or not (and I’d argue those who don’t work in healthcare should have this understanding as well).

ETA: I’ve changed the thread name so any discussions and questions pertaining to the interviews for 2020 entry can go in here.
Thank you!!! Another question... If someone JUUSSTT reaches the minimum requirements, are they guaranteed an interview?
Also, when deciding if I qualify for a place, will they base it off just my interview, or combination of my interview and other academic achievements..? I'm a little scared because my ISAT was 171, and their requirements are 170, I'm afraid my ISAT's going to bring me down.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thank you!!! Another question... If someone JUUSSTT reaches the minimum requirements, are they guaranteed an interview?
Also, when deciding if I qualify for a place, will they base it off just my interview, or combination of my interview and other academic achievements..? I'm a little scared because my ISAT was 171, and their requirements are 170, I'm afraid my ISAT's going to bring me down.
Apologies, I didn’t realise you were an international applicant!

Admissions requirements - International

Selection into the medical course is based upon a combination of the applicant's ISAT academic studies and performance at a modified MMI (Multiple Mini Interview).

I’m not too familiar with the selection process for internationals, so am unsure on the weighting applied to each component, but if you receive an interview then you’re definitely in with a good shot of gaining entry to the course.

Good luck!

deena9999

Lurker
Apologies, I didn’t realise you were an international applicant!

Admissions requirements - International

I’m not too familiar with the selection process for internationals, so am unsure on the weighting applied to each component, but if you receive an interview then you’re definitely in with a good shot of gaining entry to the course.

Good luck!
Haha its okay, sorry I should've mentioned I'm an international applicant.
Thank you!! (for the luck)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
hey guys! i graduated last year with an ATAR of 99.35 and did my UCAT this year (currently on a gap year) my scores were 640/730/740/830, giving me a total of 2940, and my SJ was 675. i'll be applying to unsw, adelaide, wsu, jmp and utas, anyone have any idea of my chances at getting at interview at any of those?
If the UKCAT percentiles from 2018 are relatively close to the UCAT percentiles in 2019, your total UCAT score should place you well into the 90s %ile wise (according to this: Final UKCAT Scores 2018 - The Medic Portal), which would put you in a very good position for an interview at most unis. However, we don't know how all of the unis will use the UCAT score (i.e. some will give all/most weighting to specific sections), so until we have this information (as well as the 2019 percentiles) it will be difficult to predict your chances with any certainty. You should be very pleased with your scores though!

Is there any reason why you aren't applying to JCU/Curtin/UWA?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
thanks so much!! I will be applying to UWA, sorry i forgot to mention it! I didn't do chemistry for my HSC, and it's a prerequisite for Curtin and JCU so i can't apply to either :(
Fair enough. I know for JCU there is a bridging course that you could complete to get the chemistry prerequisite covered if that's a feasible option for you? Can't hurt to send an email to the JCU and Curtin admissions teams if you'd be interested in doing that and see what they recommend?

A1

Rookie Doc
hey guys! i graduated last year with an ATAR of 99.35 and did my UCAT this year (currently on a gap year) my scores were 640/730/740/830, giving me a total of 2940, and my SJ was 675. i'll be applying to unsw, adelaide, wsu, jmp and utas, anyone have any idea of my chances at getting at interview at any of those?

Adding to Crow's reply, 99.35/2940 should get you an interview with every school that uses ATAR+UCAT (except maybe WSU if they happen to weight more heavily on your 640 marks).

Last year UTas made dozens of offers to interstate applicants with high UMAT. If they do the same this year you should get a place offer without needing an interview but beware UTas also requires Chem prereq. UTas does provide a summer bridging course for this, I believe you will need to show proof of enrolment to this course at time of submitting the med application. LMG! went through this process, send her a PM to ask for details.

Sooah

Hello!
I'm a UNSW student. My academic result should be the range from credit to distiction and UCAT is 2880. Does anyone have any idea if I can get an interview from any Uni for Medicine & dentistry? Is my UCAT percentile over 90% when it's compared with UKCAT?
Thanks.

Hello!
I'm a UNSW student. My academic result should be the range from credit to distiction and UCAT is 2880. Does anyone have any idea if I can get an interview from any Uni for Medicine & dentistry? Is my UCAT percentile over 90% when it's compared with UKCAT?
Thanks.
I think JMP will be the best shot as they only require a 4.7 gpa and interview offers are entirely based on UCAT aggregate. If you're finishing your degree this year then try curtin.

Sooah

Thank you. Then.. Is my score safe to get an interview from JMP? I was invited to the JMP interview in 2017 but couldn't get in. Last year was so unlucky because of my section 2 score (UMAT 71 /49 / 60 - 89%). I hope to get the interview this year. 😅.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thank you. Then.. Is my score safe to get an interview from JMP?
yeah i think jmp will invite you again so better spend more time practising for the interview.
While I’m all for preparing for the interview as far in advance as possible (even before you know if you have one or not), as I’ve mentioned a few times, until we have the percentile curves and know exactly how the universities are going to use the UCAT scores in their admissions process, we really can’t make any accurate statements as to whether one’s score will be enough for an interview or not.

lottodo

Re Monash/UNSW interviews: If you have a good UCAT & ATAR what is the chance for a interstate student to get an interview. Do they have a quota for interstate students? Do you know approximately how many interstate students got in?
The reason I specifically ask about these two unis is they only let us know interview eligibility in mid January.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Re Monash/UNSW interviews: If you have a good UCAT & ATAR what is the chance for a interstate student to get an interview. Do they have a quota for interstate students? Do you know approximately how many interstate students got in?
The reason I specifically ask about these two unis is they only let us know interview eligibility in mid January.

While, yes, you do get a later interview for UNSW as an interstate student, you are not disadvantaged at all. However, I do believe there is preference of some kind given to Victorians for Monash interviews. You can look at our collated interview and offer data threads for more information.

Do they provide a stopwatch for you in the Monash interview? I know this is a super silly question but I’m really nervous about the time management!

Last edited by a moderator:

Meddie

Should you mention medical ethics terms? (ex. beneficence, autonomy, etc.) Would I seem like practiced too much and not natural? Or am I encouraged to do so?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Should you mention medical ethics terms? (ex. beneficence, autonomy, etc.) Would I seem like practiced too much and not natural? Or am I encouraged to do so?

I've only done MMIs (and was successful in 2/2), no panel interviews, but I didn't use medical terminology at all in any response. The stations were not set up to require this as the (obvious) assumption is that you don't have medical training (yet). I don't think it would be disadvantageous to use the terminology (if relevant, don't shoe-horn it into an answer where it's not necessary or you will look like you're trotting out practiced answers - which would probably be the truth), but at the same time, I also doubt medical terminology of any kind would be the 'right answer' on its own. It will be more about the themes and coherence of your total response, rather than your 'dropping' of some specific terminology.

Status
Not open for further replies.