Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Interview Discussion and Questions 2020 Entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
MMIs go close to 1.5hrs. Panel interviews 25-30 mins not counting admin time. Most are with two interviewers, except four at Adelaide since it's divided into two sessions and you swap to another room for the 2nd session.

Added by Crow: There’s 3 on the JCU panel.
Why are MMI's so long compared to panels? I get that you have different styles, but I'd imagine that they'd ask around the same number of questions which would take about the same amount of time to answer.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Why are MMI's so long compared to panels? I get that you have different styles, but I'd imagine that they'd ask around the same number of questions which would take about the same amount of time to answer.
An MMI-style question will generally take longer to answer than most panel-style questions. Note that in MMIs you’ll have stations intended to last the entire length of time (5-8 min depending on where you’re interviewing), whereas there would usually only be 2-3 “scenario” style questions in panel interviews.

An MMI station could also consist of several panel-style questions asked in a single station.

Added by A1: There are also the 2-3 min gaps when changing stations. Multiply that 7 times.

Added by LMG: There are also 2 rest stations (for JMP and WSU) where you're just sitting there for 8 minutes having a drink or chat to the student helpers.

Last edited by a moderator:
MMIs go close to 1.5hrs. Panel interviews 25-30 mins not counting admin time. Most are with two interviewers, except four at Adelaide since it's divided into two sessions and you swap to another room for the 2nd session.

Added by Crow: There’s 3 on the JCU panel.
Apologies for my inexperience, do UNSW, JMP and UWS follow the MMI style of interviews. Do applicants seek help to prepare for interviews ? I sited some companies advertising services to prepare applicants for the interviews. In your opinion, are they necessary? I'm beginning to feel like I'm behind the eighth ball.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Apologies for my inexperience, do UNSW, JMP and UWS follow the MMI style of interviews. Do applicants seek help to prepare for interviews ? I sited some companies advertising services to prepare applicants for the interviews. In your opinion, are they necessary? I'm beginning to feel like I'm behind the eighth ball.
JMP and WSU are MMI but UNSW is panel.

Paid interview preparation is a controversial topic. The general consensus is that if you have the money then you may benefit from it, but you shouldn’t have to pay for preparation to do well in the interview. Personally I think peer preparation is the best way to prepare.

Hi everyone, on WSU website they say academic threshold for me (1+ year of undergraduate course) is GPA of 6.2. I currently have a GPA of 6.167 and this will likely change after semester 2 is finished this year. Just wondering if this means I don't have a chance for Western offer? (assuming my UCAT % is high enough and i get an interview?) Many thanks in advance, all help is appreciated

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi everyone, on WSU website they say academic threshold for me (1+ year of undergraduate course) is GPA of 6.2. I currently have a GPA of 6.167 and this will likely change after semester 2 is finished this year. Just wondering if this means I don't have a chance for Western offer? (assuming my UCAT % is high enough and i get an interview?) Many thanks in advance, all help is appreciated

I believe it's 6.0 for 1+ year. If successful after the interview but your year-end GPA is below 6.0 they won't give you an offer.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I found this on their website

When you say "likely to change" do you mean for the better or worse? If for the better (ie. to 6.2 or above) then you'll be fine, if below 6.2, then you won't make the academic hurdle and so won't be eligible for an offer, regardless of your interview performance.

A1

Rookie Doc
I found this on their website

That is a very recent change. I checked only last month it was showing 6.0.

IMO it's quite severe to require 6.2 to be equiv to 95.5. Btw what was your ATAR, if 95.5+ you don't need to worry about GPA.

ABT123

I wonder if these changes are just due to WSU raising the GPA requirements this year, or possibly UAC being harsher in assigning "UAC ranks" to each GPA. I hope its the former, given that the latter could make applying to UNSW as a non-standard a lot harder.
Also, I've noticed that I think the GPA requirements only seem to have gone up for those completing 0.5-1FTE and 1FTE-2.99FTE, but not for 3FTE+ or for completed degrees.

Last edited:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
But I have completed over a year of undergraduate studies, so don't they use that instead? But yep 96.50

Nope, they use whatever is best out of GPA and ATAR up until you complete your degree, then they only use GPA.

Cal

vibe
Nope, they use whatever is best out of GPA and ATAR up until you complete your degree, then they only use GPA.
Just wondering; do you know what atar to gpa conversion they use at UAdel?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Just wondering; do you know what atar to gpa conversion they use at UAdel?

Do you mean for Med entry, Dent entry, or for UAdel more specifically? As the only Med applicants with a GPA that can apply to UAdel are current UAdel students and that tertiary transfer students are in their own pool, I can't see that they would need to do a GPA conversion.

For Dent entry, I have no idea, sorry.

Cal

vibe
Do you mean for Med entry, Dent entry, or for UAdel more specifically? As the only Med applicants with a GPA that can apply to UAdel are current UAdel students and that tertiary transfer students are in their own pool, I can't see that they would need to do a GPA conversion.

For Dent entry, I have no idea, sorry.
yeah it was for dent, but that is ok thanks for your help :)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
yeah it was for dent, but that is ok thanks for your help :)
I procrastinated for a good 20 mins searching SATAC, Adel, Flinders and Uni of SA sites and couldn’t find any info, so I’m guessing someone would need to contact Adelaide directly to find out (or request an official assessment from SATAC). That’s a good question - I actually forgot that this would be happening every year for Adelaide dent! I’d say you could use the UAC conversion table as a rough guide, but I know that it’s done very differently in QLD (where it’s university dependent) so who knows what happens in SA!

Winger42

Hey guys, I'm currently redoing 2 IB subjects. So, on my JCU application, should I tick "currently completing year 12" (they say that you can only tick one option - the only other option I can see fitting is "completed year 12 prior to 2019")? QTAC asks you a similar question and I got in contact with them, and they said it's fine if I say that I will complete year 12 in 2019 but I'm not sure about the JCU part. Should I also put my studies this year down as "grade 13" later down on the form (even though I've done a lot of stuff other than study this year)? Thanks :)

Hey guys, I'm currently redoing 2 IB subjects. So, on my JCU application, should I tick "currently completing year 12" (they say that you can only tick one option - the only other option I can see fitting is "completed year 12 prior to 2019")? QTAC asks you a similar question and I got in contact with them, and they said it's fine if I say that I will complete year 12 in 2019 but I'm not sure about the JCU part. Should I also put my studies this year down as "grade 13" later down on the form (even though I've done a lot of stuff other than study this year)? Thanks :)

Pretty sure, that as you're a school leaver technically, that would classify you as a yr 12- therefore 'currently completing yr 12'

Luckycat

Lurker
Hi. I live in Northern NSW and attend university in Qld and am applying as non-standard for UNSW, JMP and WSU medicine. Do you know whether I am considered a NSW applicant or interstate please, for interview purposes for NSW universities? I have tried contacting UNSW but the call Centre staff wouldn’t commit to an answer. Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.