Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Interview Discussion and Questions 2020 Entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherlock

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Can you ask for their UCAT section scores, that would really help narrow down the cutoff.
maniacfish got a top up invite as well.

From his post:

University: WSU
Course: Med
Percentile rank: 93
VR: 640
DM: 720
QR: 740
AR: 800
Total: 2900
SJ: 706
Current GPA: 6.7
Rural: No
State: NSW
Other Special Considerations: GWS

Top up invite. Got a call on 07/11 at ~11:50am. The lady said she still has a few more calls to make!!!

A1

Rookie Doc
maniacfish got a top up invite as well.

That's good news. I'm not surprised though since his UCAT was so close to the lowest invite.
What surprising is it's a GWS top-up, many thought no GWS would have to turn down a WSU interview due to travel costs.

That's good news. I'm not surprised though since his UCAT was so close to the lowest invite.
What surprising is it's a GWS top-up, many thought no GWS would have to turn down a WSU interview due to travel costs.
Perhaps same pool of candidates, GWS just has favourable weightings

maniacfish

My guess is that it was a non-standard GWS applicant who recently received a graduate entry offer. Either that or some unlucky person forgot to book an interview.

Reactions: A1

Dnama

Does anyone know if JCU interview invites are released exactly on 15 November or have they been released earlier before?

I'm so sorry for leaving you guys hanging I walked out of one exam for a ten minute break in preparation for the next one and suddenly got this email on my phone. I quickly rebooked (thankfully the same time was there) then went back to do my second exam.
I have no idea why it happened - did someone manage to crack my password AND my SATAC ID?? I'm honestly paranoid this is gonna happen again so I just changed my account password and am keeping an eye out for any alarming emails.
It's best you call up the University and explain your circumstance

Is it likely that jmp and curtin would let interstate applicants move their interview dates seeing as jmp is 20-21 curtin 22-23 and uwa is on the 23rd? (I'm not sure if there are frequent flights from Uon/UNE to Perth so jmp on 21st and curtin on the 22nd would kind of be clashing I think) Or do unis generally not accept interview date clashes as a reason to switch to an alternative date?

A1

Rookie Doc
Is it likely that jmp and curtin would let interstate applicants move their interview dates seeing as jmp is 20-21 curtin 22-23 and uwa is on the 23rd? (I'm not sure if there are frequent flights from Uon/UNE to Perth so jmp on 21st and curtin on the 22nd would kind of be clashing I think) Or do unis generally not accept interview date clashes as a reason to switch to an alternative date?

Interstate interview rounds are just 1-2 days, they won't have an alternative date other than switching you to the first/locals round. Seeing Curtin & UWA dates are close together it's best to ask if JMP would give you a first round. If not then try to organise 20th JMP, 22nd Curtin, 23rd UWA.

apk22

Hey guys, very bizarre situation here... I'm currently on a gap year and since sitting the UCAT in July I haven't had to use my brain very much. I'm currently just attempting some MMI practise questions of the internet and I'm a little bit concerned as I don't feel as switched on as I remember myself being in February when I was preparing for my Bond interview. I kind of just feel like I'm not able to think of very concise answers for questions. Even when I'm thinking about the basic question of 'why do you want to study medicine?' I really feel as though I don't know how to even start with answering the question. Does anyone have any advice on this (other than 'just keep practising') and if any gap year students can relate I'd love to hear your thoughts??

weebuforreal

stats noob and a definite weaboo
Hey guys, very bizarre situation here... I'm currently on a gap year and since sitting the UCAT in July I haven't had to use my brain very much. I'm currently just attempting some MMI practise questions of the internet and I'm a little bit concerned as I don't feel as switched on as I remember myself being in February when I was preparing for my Bond interview. I kind of just feel like I'm not able to think of very concise answers for questions. Even when I'm thinking about the basic question of 'why do you want to study medicine?' I really feel as though I don't know how to even start with answering the question. Does anyone have any advice on this (other than 'just keep practising') and if any gap year students can relate I'd love to hear your thoughts??

I totally relate to you, man. It's really easy for your brain to switch off when it's not being used very much- didn't even take a week for it to happen to me. XD
However, I have put an effort to keep using my brain by doing stuff like word puzzles, reading for leisure, etc. Maybe you should start some regular hobby at least now to get back into the habit of using it. Also spend time thinking every day about potential answers, like in your free time, initially more than just hardcore practising interview questions. This is more productive than fruitlessly attempting to unsuccessfully answer questions.

Frankly, I still need to regain my intellect for the interviews, so this is only advice that's in the workings for me, but maybe you'll find something useful in it.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi, just wondering, based on past years, what are the roundabouts of the dates that UNSW releases their offers for local applicants? And when are interview invites for Monash sent out for interstate students? Just wondering if it would be unwise to book a short holiday during January. Thanks

First round UNSW offers are the same as the first UAC round in January.

Monash interview invites to interstate (and IB) applicants appear to have gone out on the 7th of Jan for 2019 entry.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi, sorry I have another question

Looking through the collated data for 2019 entry place offers for University of Queensland Med, could someone give me an explanation of why the latter 2 students with higher ATARs were offered BMP while the first student was offered a CSP, with an identical UMAT percentile and a lower ATAR? Is there some weighting that I am unaware of?

189 (95th%ile) 67/54/68, 99.35, CSP, will be declining to attend UTAS
189 (95th%ile) 55/87/47, 99.55, BMP
188 (95th%ile) 63/58/66, 99.85, BMP,

Because once you’re over 99.00, it all comes down to UMAT raw score and they had lower raw scores. Also, I believe the TACs got UMAT scores to 4 decimal places.

L

Logic

Hi, sorry I have another question

Looking through the collated data for 2019 entry place offers for University of Queensland Med, could someone give me an explanation of why the latter 2 students with higher ATARs were offered BMP while the first student was offered a CSP, with an identical UMAT percentile and a lower ATAR? Is there some weighting that I am unaware of?

189 (95th%ile) 67/54/68, 99.35, CSP, will be declining to attend UTAS
189 (95th%ile) 55/87/47, 99.55, BMP
188 (95th%ile) 63/58/66, 99.85, BMP,
What LMG! said. Also I'm not 100% sure about this so hopefully A1 can confirm but I believe the section scores you were given for UMAT were ones that were rounded by ACER (the people who made UMAT) but UQ got the original unrounded scores and would round down or something along those lines?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
What LMG! said. Also I'm not 100% sure about this so hopefully A1 can confirm but I believe the section scores you are given are ones that are rounded by ACER (the people who made UMAT) but UQ got the original unrounded scores and would round down or something along those lines?

I think it was that QTAC got unrounded scores and did something weird when they added them that could actually disadvantage people right at the various cut offs? Does that ring bells?

Status
Not open for further replies.