Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Interview Discussion and Questions 2020 Entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Is there a way to jot down notes on paper before entering the room?
Just a slight correction from CatzDreaming , you are not able to bring your own paper into your interview, but in the interview they may give you paper to use. In the UAdel interview, you were given a piece of paper to jot down notes for a given prompt which you were then allowed to bring into the room with you. You would not be able to take these notes home however.

Hi! Is there a page that shows how much each uni weighs atar, ucat, interview etc? I vaguely remember seeing one last year but i can't seem to find it now

Hi! Is there a page that shows how much each uni weighs atar, ucat, interview etc? I vaguely remember seeing one last year but i can't seem to find it now
Here you go. :)

nourz

Can anyone give me information on dental science at charles sturt, I'm looking to apply as a postgraduate with the UCAT, I couldn't find much info on the website about assessment criteria, does anyone know any rough details about GPA required? Really appreciate it

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast

nourz

Thank you so much! Out of curiosity, it says CSU interviews are given 100% based on UCAT, so it doesn't matter therefore if your gpa is slightly below 5.5?

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
100% on UCAT after you pass the GPA hurdle.

i.e. Someone with a 5.5 GPA would be equivalent to someone with a 7.0 GPA and would be differentiated for the interview solely on the UCAT, but someone with a 5.4 would not be eligble

nourz

100% on UCAT after you pass the GPA hurdle.

i.e. Someone with a 5.5 GPA would be equivalent to someone with a 7.0 GPA and would be differentiated for the interview solely on the UCAT, but someone with a 5.4 would not be eligble
Oh damn, do you know if it's weighted or unweighted gpa? Otherwise my only chances would be adelaide :/

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Yeah its unweighted unfortunately.

Also, Adelaide considers GPA in its final place offer (unlike CSU which only uses it as a hurdle), based on our offers forums last year we didnt have anyone below a 6.0 GPA so you might be out of reach there aswell Aus Med and Dent Place Offers 2020 - Collated Data

chinaski

Do you think that could have made a bad impression on the interviewer by using this language?

Potentially yes. You're not a peer or equal to the doctor you were shadowing, therefore you are not in a position to censure their work. Backseat drivers who have a great sense of confidence in their own abilities and judgement are common in med students. They often mean well, and are very confident in pronouncing their opinion, but ultimately lack insight into their own limitations or appreciation of a situation.

There's a way of diplomatically expressing reservations about a situation without framing it as a "I definitely knew better than the doctor" scenario.

Chessyk__

I read that for the JMP, offers are selected entirely off of interview score (maybe UCAT as tie breaker?). Is this true? Is it hard to get a really good score? Also, is work experience or volunteering a big factor? (other than year 10 one-week work experience)

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
I read that for the JMP, offers are selected entirely off of interview score (maybe UCAT as tie breaker?). Is this true? Is it hard to get a really good score? Also, is work experience or volunteering a big factor? (other than year 10 one-week work experience)
Yeah, it's 100% weighting on interview for a place offer. As for "is it hard to get a really good score?", nobody can answer that for your personal circumstances, but as a general rule of thumb, you must place in the top 25-30% of all interviewers to land a place. Work experience is not required per se, and you certainly shouldn't do it for the sake of saying you did it, instead, do it because you want to gain some insight into and learn something about the profession which many other candidates won't have the opportunity to.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
for the JMP, offers are selected entirely off of interview score (maybe UCAT as tie breaker?). Is this true?

Yep. See here: [Undergrad] - (2020 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

(Also theres a policy document on the UoN JMP website that says the same thing if you want to triple check)

Is it hard to get a really good score?

Depends. They invite ~800 people for an interview each year, for ~110 places at UoN and ~60 at UNE. Some find this interview a breeze whilst some struggle.

Chessyk__

Yep. See here: [Undergrad] - (2020 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

(Also theres a policy document on the UoN JMP website that says the same thing if you want to triple check)

Depends. They invite ~800 people for an interview each year, for ~110 places at UoN and ~60 at UNE. Some find this interview a breeze whilst some struggle.
Yeah, it's 100% weighting on interview for a place offer. As for "is it hard to get a really good score?", nobody can answer that for your personal circumstances, but as a general rule of thumb, you must place in the top 25-30% of all interviewers to land a place. Work experience is not required per se, and you certainly shouldn't do it for the sake of saying you did it, instead, do it because you want to gain some insight into and learn something about the profession which many other candidates won't have the opportunity to.
I see, that makes sense. thank you!

owg1

I was looking at the data collation for 2020 interview offers invites, and many people received an offer invite in October (without ATAR). How do I do this using only a UCAT score? I feel quite overwhelmed with how many things there are to consider and I fear I will miss certain things that may help me in my applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.