Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Interview Discussion and Questions

Minage

Lurker
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to know some of the general structures of medical interviews from different universities. If you've been invited to one of these universities (WSU, UNE, UNSW, Curtin, Monash, UoA), do you remember:
- If there's a waiting time/ rest period between stations?
- Are the stimuluses written or verbal?
- How many stations/ questions per station are there?
- How long do you have to answer?
- Do they cut you off if you go overtime or just let you talk until you've run out?
- Do they ever ask follow-up questions or just work with the qus they're given?

Thanks a bunch guys.

maniacfish

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to know some of the general structures of medical interviews from different universities. If you've been invited to one of these universities (WSU, UNE, UNSW, Curtin, Monash, UoA), do you remember:
- Do they cut you off if you go overtime or just let you talk until you've run out?

Thanks a bunch guys.
In my experience from WSU and JMP a few years ago:
- There is a short reading time between stations (2mins?)
- Written stimulus on the door usually with a copy inside the room too
- 8 stations + 2 rest, number of questions varies
- 8 mins per station
- Yes they will cut you off at the end of the 8mins, sometimes if there are multiple questions and you are spending too long on a question they may stop you and move to the next question

23intake

Can anyone give me an insight into what to study for interviews? Any particular websites to use, any programs, etc. I have read that someone was doing practice interviews and receiving marks for these practice exams, what are these and how can I begin them? Anything helps!
Thanks in advance :)
Note: study tips for interviews in general (either med or dent) would be greatly appreciated,

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Can anyone give me an insight into what to study for interviews? Any particular websites to use, any programs, etc. I have read that someone was doing practice interviews and receiving marks for these practice exams, what are these and how can I begin them? Anything helps!
Thanks in advance :)
Note: study tips for interviews in general (either med or dent) would be greatly appreciated,

forevafrensbear

Hey everyone,

Thanks a bunch guys.
Highly depends upon the university. And year to year. Many of the questions you ask are outside your control and you will be given the information prior (if you get an interview).

Don't go overtime in an MMI. It can cut into your preparation time for the next question.

The MMI interview bank/portal on here (above) has some good questions and themes to explore. It would be worthwhile reading about and practicing how you would structure an answer to each question, identifying the issues at play and answer including existential examples to exemplify how/why you justify your response. You don't want to be thinking about these without preparation on the day.

Spending the time reading the question carefully is important. At least one candidate each cycle mis-interprets the question or goes off an absolute tangent.

Interview preparation courses can be counterproductive.

Hey guys, I've been invited to a MMI with the CQU (Pathway to Medicine at UQ) and was wondering if anyone has any advice on it? Like can anyone please tell me what the structure is like and any general advice? Like what worked for them or any useful websites that helped them? Does anyone think that 1-2 weeks of practice is enough? The interviews are scheduled about about a week and a bit after I finish my externals (and a few days after I graduate) so I'm kinda worried because I want to be focusing on my externals right now. Thanks so much.

Sobek

Having gotten interview invites to CQU med and Griffith dentistry, with Griffith placed 4th preference, I’m wondering if my information was in error. Were only Griffith interview invites preferenced to those who had it as it’s a top 4 preferences, instead of only offering positions to people who had it as a top 4 preference. And therefore, can I have it as 5th instead and still receive an offer if I perform well? Also, if I haven’t received a UQ interview invite, can I remove it as a preference?

Last edited:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Having gotten interview invites to CQU med and Griffith dentistry, with Griffith placed 4th preference, I’m wondering if my information was in error. Were only Griffith interview invites preferenced to those who had it as it’s a top 4 preferences, instead of only offering positions to people who had it as a top 4 preference. And therefore, can I have it as 5th instead and still receive an offer if I perform well? Also, if I haven’t received a UQ interview invite, can I remove it as a preference?
Once you’re sure all interview invites have been sent out, if you’ve not received one then yes, you can remove it from your preferences.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey guys, I've been invited to a MMI with the CQU (Pathway to Medicine at UQ) and was wondering if anyone has any advice on it? Like can anyone please tell me what the structure is like and any general advice? Like what worked for them or any useful websites that helped them? Does anyone think that 1-2 weeks of practice is enough? The interviews are scheduled about about a week and a bit after I finish my externals (and a few days after I graduate) so I'm kinda worried because I want to be focusing on my externals right now. Thanks so much.
MSO Interview Portal! Check out the MSO interview portal - should be a good starting point!

As I'm sure you're aware, the CQU pathway will likely have a major focus on rural medicine and so you should expect questions surrounding this as part of your MMI.

Congrats on the invite and best of luck with the interview.

Are there multiple rounds for interview offers at UQ? I got a UCAT score of 3090 and was expecting an interview based on last years cut offs, but haven't received one yet although I have heard some others have.

asan_chan

I have an ATAR above the threshold for WSU and JMP, however i would have also completed one year of uni by the time the interviews roll around hence giving me a GPA. Will the universities look at my most current academic achievements? Or a combination? or the highest one on offer?

A1

Rookie Doc
I have an ATAR above the threshold for WSU and JMP, however i would have also completed one year of uni by the time the interviews roll around hence giving me a GPA. Will the universities look at my most current academic achievements? Or a combination? or the highest one on offer?
WSU will use either ATAR or GPA that is better for you.
JMP, since you'll have completed 1 FTE year, will only use your GPA but it's a modest 4.7 hurdle.

asan_chan

WSU will use either ATAR or GPA that is better for you.
JMP, since you'll have completed 1 FTE year, will only use your GPA but it's a modest 4.7 hurdle.
okay, so for WSU if my ATAR was 96 but my GPA was 5 then they would look at ATAR as that is more beneficial for me?