Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Medicine Entry Discussion and Advice Requests

amberr

Lurker
Hi everyone!!

I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm looking for some advice as to what I should do this year. For background information, I am a GWS applicant and I received a 99.60 NSW ATAR (2020). I received an offer for Provisional Medicine at USC today and I've already accepted USYD Dentistry (and I'm really excited about both those offers!!!).

However, I really want to try again for Medicine in NSW. I did UCAT this year with little prep and got 2850 (85%ile) and I feel like with a bit more prep I could do better.

Right now, I'm considering two options:
1) Start USYD Dentistry and apply as a non-standard applicant for WSU, UNSW and JMP. (Also just to confirm, all these unis use the "best of" your ATAR and GPA/WAM, right?)
2) Accept and defer USC (if possible) and take a gap year to resit UCAT and apply again for NSW and Monash.

I don't know if it is worth taking the risk and declining USC because I may never get an offer into med again.
I'd really like to get a second opinion on this. Thank you so much for the help!!

daredevil

Hi! Can I please have some advice, I am very very stressed and confused on what to do.
My ATAR was not high enough to gain entry into undergraduate medicine, so I applied for pathway courses and the offers I received are Bond Biomed, UOW Pre-Med and ANU Biotech.

Bond Uni: This degree allows me to apply for lateral entry into 2nd year of Bond MD program, however classes have already started so I'm worried I'll be behind. Also, does anyone know if this degree can be used to apply to all postgrad MD programs (it is a 2 year accelerated course)?.
UOW: This degree is highly competitive and med-focused (top 12 students guaranteed interview place in UOW MD), but requires GAMSAT, so I don't see a real advantage in choosing this.
ANU: This degree would allow me to transfer to ANU Health Science which allows you to apply for their MD without gamsat, but if unsuccessful in transfer I'd have to do the gamsat process.

Can someone please share their experience w these courses or any similar ones? I really don't know what is the best choice here.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi! Can I please have some advice, I am very very stressed and confused on what to do.
My ATAR was not high enough to gain entry into undergraduate medicine, so I applied for pathway courses and the offers I received are Bond Biomed, UOW Pre-Med and ANU Biotech.

Bond Uni: This degree allows me to apply for lateral entry into 2nd year of Bond MD program, however classes have already started so I'm worried I'll be behind. Also, does anyone know if this degree can be used to apply to all postgrad MD programs (it is a 2 year accelerated course)?.
UOW: This degree is highly competitive and med-focused (top 12 students guaranteed interview place in UOW MD), but requires GAMSAT, so I don't see a real advantage in choosing this.
ANU: This degree would allow me to transfer to ANU Health Science which allows you to apply for their MD without gamsat, but if unsuccessful in transfer I'd have to do the gamsat process.

Can someone please share their experience w these courses or any similar ones? I really don't know what is the best choice here.
The short answer here is that none of these are good options. Please read this thread: Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants

You should select your undergrad degree on the basis of what career path you'd like to follow if you never made it into medicine, not on the basis of what you think will give you the highest likelihood of getting in.

I am also of the opinion that lateral entry programs are usually so competitive that you'd probably have an equal if not better chance of making it in via regular non-standard / graduate entry pathways.

ThunderDragon

Hi

I was wondering whether SAT results are able to be used in place on an ATAR as a domestic student? I called UNSW and was told that it was possible (and also got told I needed around 1400+ to surpass the 96 minimum atar requirement for UNSW) however I just wanted to confirm if anyone has had their SAT scores being used or heard anyone who has?

Thanks

saksham21

Hi, I heard that many unis such was WSU and Newcastle provide interview offers before the actual ATAR is even released. How do they then check if our atar is above the atar threshold, or is done through a predicted atar. And if a predicted atar is used by universities, do we have to submit it to them or do they automatically contact our schools and find it out?

Hi, I heard that many unis such was WSU and Newcastle provide interview offers before the actual ATAR is even released. How do they then check if our atar is above the atar threshold, or is done through a predicted atar. And if a predicted atar is used by universities, do we have to submit it to them or do they automatically contact our schools and find it out?
JPM (WSU/CSU) and JMP (Newcastle/UNE) base interviews solely on UCAT performance. Your ATAR is then provided to the universities automatically (you do not need to submit or do anything), who then determine if you have passed the cut-off. I am not sure about predicted ATARs (I think Curtin requires one on the application) but JPM and JMP definitely don't require them. For those two the ATAR is merely a threshold, and once met has no other on your final selection.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
When the time comes for offer distribution (mid-January, after ATARs are finally out), they simply cross out anyone's name who didn't make the ATAR cutoff, no matter how good their interview or UCAT was. That means there's unneccessary interviews done every year, but the percentage of interviewees who don't end up satisfying the ATAR requirement must be low enough for said unis to absorb the cost and continue offering pre-ATAR interviews.

A1

Rookie Doc
And if a predicted atar is used by universities, do we have to submit it to them or do they automatically contact our schools and find it out?
Schools want a predicted only if ATAR is used in the calculation for interview selection. UNSW used to get it directly from your school but they no longer use predicted (interview selection is done after ATAR is released). JCU & Curtin require you to request one from your school, if your school ignores you'll have to wait for a 2nd round invite after ATAR is released.

the percentage of interviewees who don't end up satisfying the ATAR requirement must be low enough for said unis to absorb the cost
It's no extra cost to the schools since they set out to invite a set number of interviewees anyway. The interviewees who later fail the ATAR hurdle take their interview spots at the expense of those meeting the hurdle but slightly below the UCAT cutoff.

A1

Rookie Doc
I happened to find this old Selection Criteria table for 2017 intake. We can see how much things have changed in 4 years.

Back then to get a JMP interview we needed UMAT section1 60 marks out of 100 (~87 S1 %ile).
UQ after rank 99 hurdle 90%ile bonded offer, 93%ile unbonded.
UNSW scraping an interview were [99.95 ~75%ile], [99.50 ~85%ile], [99.0 90%ile], [98.0 95%ile], [97.0 99%ile], [96.0 100%ile] (Note these were not combos with no chance, they could get an offer if they scored a near top interview).

Flinders was 99.85 vs this year's crazy 99.95, Griffith's 99.75 hasn't changed much.

Med Selection 2017 Intake.jpg

Scrivo_72

The Humerus 2021
Hi, I got an ATAR 97.55 and have lived in RA2 from grade 1-12. I am intending on applying to all medical schools across that state but am wondering on my chances of getting into JCU specifically as the only thing that isnt set in stone is my written application. I understand that its not about what expereinces you have done but in fact what I have learnt from them. However, with that in mind i feel as though if i have done certain experiences i have a greater opportunity to have more impactful learning opportunities. Experiences that i have done include: shadowing an orthopedic surgeon (including being allowed in the operating theatre), shadowing a senior registrar, shadowing a junior doctor (ward rounds), dressing up as a clown for childrens ward, teaching schools first aid, a volunteer position as a diversional therapist assistant (6-12 months) and VP service projects manager of a youth engagement organisation. From these experiences and the lessons that these experiences have taught me and my ATAR and rurality score, do i have a reasonable chance of getting an interview or offer? I understand that if i get an interview my chances of getting in will come down to how well i do in the interview but from my ATAR, written application and rurality score would i have a chance of getting an offer. Also, is there any one that would be willing to review or give me feedback on my written application when i have written it?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi, I got an ATAR 97.55 and have lived in RA2 from grade 1-12. I am intending on applying to all medical schools across that state but am wondering on my chances of getting into JCU specifically as the only thing that isnt set in stone is my written application. I understand that its not about what expereinces you have done but in fact what I have learnt from them. However, with that in mind i feel as though if i have done certain experiences i have a greater opportunity to have more impactful learning opportunities. Experiences that i have done include: shadowing an orthopedic surgeon (including being allowed in the operating theatre), shadowing a senior registrar, shadowing a junior doctor (ward rounds), dressing up as a clown for childrens ward, teaching schools first aid, a volunteer position as a diversional therapist assistant (6-12 months) and VP service projects manager of a youth engagement organisation. From these experiences and the lessons that these experiences have taught me and my ATAR and rurality score, do i have a reasonable chance of getting an interview or offer? I understand that if i get an interview my chances of getting in will come down to how well i do in the interview but from my ATAR, written application and rurality score would i have a chance of getting an offer. Also, is there any one that would be willing to review or give me feedback on my written application when i have written it?

We can’t answer what are my chances questions for JCU. We have no say on what constitutes a competitive written application from year to year and can only offer advice on content that people use or not at their own choosing. Once you’ve written your application, you can post in the appropriate JCU written application thread requesting interest in proof reading and other editing/feedback options.

Scrivo_72

The Humerus 2021
We can’t answer what are my chances questions for JCU. We have no say on what constitutes a competitive written application from year to year and can only offer advice on content that people use or not at their own choosing. Once you’ve written your application, you can post in the appropriate JCU written application thread requesting interest in proof reading and other editing/feedback options.
My apologies, thanks for the response.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
My apologies, thanks for the response.

No need to apologise, it’s simply the nature of the application process that makes it impossible. While the above poster points out that they think your ATAR is “enough”, it’s important to note that plenty (in fact, likely the majority) of people with similar ATARs do not get interviews. Likewise, in the non-rural category, 99.95 doesn’t come close to guaranteeing an interview. JCU just doesn’t work like that.

Last edited:

Scrivo_72

The Humerus 2021
No need to apologise, it’s simply the nature of the application process that makes it impossible. While the above poster points out that they think your ATAR is “enough”, it’s important to note that plenty (in fact, likely the majority) of people with similar ATARs do not get interviews. Likewise, in the non-rural category, 99.95 doesn’t come close to guaranteeing an interview. JCU just doesn’t work like that.
That makes sense that the written application is a major component to distinguish students and i will make sure to continue working on it. Thanks for the insight LMG!. Appreciate the help.

Stryder

Lurker
While the quality of your written application cannot be predicted I think your ATAR and rurality score is enough looking at past offer data.

Edit: Aus Med and Dent Place Offers 2020 - Collated Data

RA2 guy with 97.5 ATAR got in with a CSP offer
flynnscrivo72

I match the info JL538 provided there.

Just to give some clarification, I have lived in regional areas from birth, RA4-2. At the time of application, I was in an RA2 area in QLD. I attended schools in RA3-2 areas throughout my schooling.

WIth JCU, the application is one of the most critical parts. You gotta have a valid, genuine reason applying for JCU.

Your ATAR is only a small part. Lots of people with lower ATARs are in my cohort. You gotta show you are a person who is the right fit for JCU, ie... extensive community/volunteer work, and a genuine willingness to live/work in regional/rural areas.

Scrivo_72

The Humerus 2021
flynnscrivo72

I match the info JL538 provided there.

Just to give some clarification, I have lived in regional areas from birth, RA4-2. At the time of application, I was in an RA2 area in QLD. I attended schools in RA3-2 areas throughout my schooling.

WIth JCU, the application is one of the most critical parts. You gotta have a valid, genuine reason applying for JCU.

Your ATAR is only a small part. Lots of people with lower ATARs are in my cohort. You gotta show you are a person who is the right fit for JCU, ie... extensive community/volunteer work, and a genuine willingness to live/work in regional/rural areas.
Thanks for info, i will definitely take all of it into consideration when working on the application.

saba5678

Does anyone know whether completing 0.75FTE in the first year of my undergrad (non-med) degree would affect my chances of receiving a non-standard medicine offer? Akaik, the unis offering places to non-standards are WSU, JMP and UNSW.

According to the official website, WSU will just look at my overall GPA and since I am doing less than 8 units (I'm doing 6), I would need a GPA of at least 6.4.

JMP says that it will consider uni study if I have completed at least 1FTE of study. Since I am only doing 0.75FTE, I'm *assuming* that means they will look at my ATAR from 2019 (since I took a gap year in 2020), which is 99.55 so definitely above the threshold.

UNSW says that for applicants who have completed 0.75FTE or more, they will look at ATAR OR WAM, depending on which one gives the higher selection rank.

So basically, just wondering whether anyone knows whether this decision could decrease my chances of an offer. Is WAM or GPA in any way negatively affected by doing less than 1FTE? If I don't get into med the next cycle, I'll be recovering the units I skipped (electives) by doing them in summer/winter semesters next year.

I thought I might check with someone who has more experience before finalizing my units. Thanks, guys!

A1

Rookie Doc
Does anyone know whether completing 0.75FTE in the first year of my undergrad (non-med) degree would affect my chances of receiving a non-standard medicine offer?
I wrote this post this morning > Non-standard Medicine Entry

In your case with 0.75 FTE for UNSW your GPA's selection rank would definitely be less than 99 so they'd use your ATAR 99.55.