Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Medicine Entry Discussion and Advice Requests

Does anyone know whether completing 0.75FTE in the first year of my undergrad (non-med) degree would affect my chances of receiving a non-standard medicine offer? Akaik, the unis offering places to non-standards are WSU, JMP and UNSW.

According to the official website, WSU will just look at my overall GPA and since I am doing less than 8 units (I'm doing 6), I would need a GPA of at least 6.4.

JMP says that it will consider uni study if I have completed at least 1FTE of study. Since I am only doing 0.75FTE, I'm *assuming* that means they will look at my ATAR from 2019 (since I took a gap year in 2020), which is 99.55 so definitely above the threshold.

UNSW says that for applicants who have completed 0.75FTE or more, they will look at ATAR OR WAM, depending on which one gives the higher selection rank.

So basically, just wondering whether anyone knows whether this decision could decrease my chances of an offer. Is WAM or GPA in any way negatively affected by doing less than 1FTE? If I don't get into med the next cycle, I'll be recovering the units I skipped (electives) by doing them in summer/winter semesters next year.

I thought I might check with someone who has more experience before finalizing my units. Thanks, guys!
I had a similar experience to you last year, and doing 0.75FTE excluded me from applying competitively to JCU as a non-standard. The conversion from GPA to ATAR-like selection ranks is unfortunately quite poor if one has a FTE study load less than 1.0 by the end of the year. Keep that in mind if you want to apply to JCU Medicine too.

JL538

Monash University - BMedSc/MD I
Does anybody know if there is any tertiary transfer for Monash Uni medicine? I can't find much information online but for example can you start a Bach of Biomedical Science and transfer into the medical degree? I found this Biomedical Science Pathway to Graduate Entry Medicine but it seems to be outdated. Thanks
If you mean graduate entry medicine, then yes that link is right. Monash only takes people who studied their undergrad at Monash (a few specific degrees). If your talking about doing 1 year of an undergrad degree like biomed, and then transferring into MD, I don't believe that's possible at Monash.

Reactions: nb

kev119

for flinders provisional med, after the 2 year accelerated undergrad do I technically graduate the bachelors? If I do, I can then sit GAMSAT to try gain entry to the MD in my home state right?

panda_6940

USyd BSc/MD II
for flinders provisional med, after the 2 year accelerated undergrad do I technically graduate the bachelors? If I do, I can then sit GAMSAT to try gain entry to the MD in my home state right?

Yes you get the first degree after the two years, from which you can use to apply to graduate entry unit. However, two year accelerated degrees aren't accepted at every uni, so you would have to research the policy for two year degrees for the uni you want to apply to.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

I think there might be something weird about the Flinders degree that makes this different actually, and maybe not possible? I remember it being talked about before but can’t remember who. dotwingz seems to be the resident Top Dog on this kind of knowledge at the moment! Or maybe A1?

ETA: I just had a look at the Flinders Med webpage, and it says the Provisional course is considered a double degree, which means you're enrolled in both at the same time rather than one after the other, and therefore are considered enrolled in a medical degree from day one. Some universities don't accept applications from students already enrolled in other medical degrees in Australia (WSU/CSU JPM is one of these). JMP do accept students still so that would still be an option.

Last edited:

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
I can't recall the specifics, but IIRC the context was that a flinders provisional student wasn't allowed to apply back to WSU as a non standard.

But yeah LMG is right, its listed as a 6 year double degree on their website so you wont be able to apply anywhere that restricts current med students.

Also, i looked it up and the ClinSci degree is 72 units of study, whilst a regular 3 year bachelor's at Flinders (e.g. BBusiness) is 108. Which means that the ClinSci degree is a 2 year degree, not a 2 year accelerated one (like Griffith MedSci for example), and will be inelgible to apply for any graduate schools (although the GEMSAS guide says you may be able to contact and institution and ask them to consider it)

A1

Rookie Doc
for flinders provisional med, after the 2 year accelerated undergrad do I technically graduate the bachelors?
kev119 is asking about grad entry to another school, you guys answering about non-standard is off topic :p

According to the CDU/Flinders program "The third year of the BCSc and the first year of the MD are completed simultaneously" i.e. the BCSc appears as 2 years but the formal degree is 3 years.

Similarly Flinders says "A student who withdraws from the double degrees program after successfully completing the first three years will be awarded the Bachelor of Clinical Sciences".

So you won't be able to apply for grad entry elsewhere with the 2 years. I'm also not sure whether at the 3rd year at Flinders you'd need to actually withdraw/exit to be awarded the BCSc degree.

> Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (WCSCI1 - 2021) | Charles Darwin University
> Bachelor of Clinical Sciences, Doctor of Medicine - Flinders University Students

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Which means that the ClinSci degree is a 2 year degree, not a 2 year accelerated one (like Griffith MedSci for example), and will be inelgible to apply for any graduate schools (although the GEMSAS guide says you may be able to contact and institution and ask them to consider it)
Was this part not relevant to grad entry :p

A1 adds: I didn't read past the first two lines of your post ;)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
kev119 is asking about grad entry to another school, you guys answering about non-standard is off topic :p

According to the CDU/Flinders program "The third year of the BCSc and the first year of the MD are completed simultaneously" i.e. the BCSc appears as 2 years but the formal degree is 3 years.

Similarly Flinders says "A student who withdraws from the double degrees program after successfully completing the first three years will be awarded the Bachelor of Clinical Sciences".

So you won't be able to apply for grad entry elsewhere with the 2 years. I'm also not sure whether at the 3rd year at Flinders you'd need to actually withdraw/exit to be awarded the BCSc degree.

> Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (WCSCI1 - 2021) | Charles Darwin University
> Bachelor of Clinical Sciences, Doctor of Medicine - Flinders University Students

Nah, not at all. I just used non-standard unis as an example because they’re the ones I know but was referring to the fact that some unis in Australia don’t allow applications from people already in Med degrees and the nature of the Flinders double degree has caused issues on this front in the past.

jhsane

Hi! I'd like some advice for 2022 undergrad medicine entry and I was wondering if this would be the right place? Sorry if it's not! (still new to the forum)
I'm a NZ citizen doing Yr 13 and I'd like to do medicine in Australia.
I sat the UCAT this season and got 3370 so I'm hoping its competitive enough for interview offers? I've spent most of my time being told that first I needed a good enough UCAT before worrying about interview offers etc so I'm not actually very well informed on the university options because I never thought I'd do well enough.
I'll have 4 A*s from CIE at the end of this year so I'm also hoping for a good ATAR conversion (I have some from accelerating last year already)

I was wondering if I could have any advice for the universities I should be applying to as a NZ citizen that would be "interstate" for everything anyway? Thanks! I'm really lost right now because I'm worried I'll be disadvantaged with late interview offers..

I also don't really understand how offers work hahahhaha.............

I have USyd as my no. 1 atm but I'm not really sure what else I should apply for : )

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Apply everywhere you’re conformatble going. A score like that is likely in the 99th percentile and 4* is 99.95 IIRC… you can look up the conversion from old SACE documents on the internet. With a half decent interview you would be a competitive applicant everywhere.

In my signature is a good thread by Mana about choosing between uni choices. I recommend giving it a read.

jhsane

Apply everywhere you’re conformatble going. A score like that is likely in the 99th percentile and 4* is 99.95 IIRC… you can look up the conversion from old SACE documents on the internet. With a half decent interview you would be a competitive applicant everywhere.

In my signature is a good thread by Mana about choosing between uni choices. I recommend giving it a read.
Thank you! I'll definitely go read it through : )
When do people usually start preparing for interviews? I should probably go check out interview forums :\\

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
In Australia people don’t finish exams until early November so there’s usually little activity till then. There would be plenty of nonstandards and gap year-ers prepping for interviews at this stage.

But yeah start off in the interview forum. Lots of very valuable material here. I’d also read the specific university forums because sometimes there’s good interview tips there or specific parts of each program to get a better idea of what each course is like

Vassau

4A*s is 99.95? ooof, I'm a bit worried because I did 3 A-levels and scored 3A*s.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
4A*s is 99.95? ooof, I'm a bit worried because I did 3 A-levels and scored 3A*s.
Places count things differently. 4 A*s is a shoo in 99.95, but 3 A*s is still 99.95 around the place. IIRC @Regular_Joe got 3 A*s and got an offer for UTAS (which needed a 99.95). I know at UQ 3 A*s is 99.95

Here’s a screenshot of a good profile post which i can’t seem to link for some reason
80EEAEFF-4333-4A64-A624-762F6095924E.jpeg

Vassau

Places count things differently. 4 A*s is a shoo in 99.95, but 3 A*s is still 99.95 around the place. IIRC @Regular_Joe got 3 A*s and got an offer for UTAS (which needed a 99.95). I know at UQ 3 A*s is 99.95

Here’s a screenshot of a good profile post which i can’t seem to link for some reason
View attachment 4720
Hi, thanks for the info, it provided me with some great insight!

For UNSW, it appears the score conversion to ATAR is quite low for me... I checked the webpage and they state that: 6 A-level points = 1A*.

A-level academic scores to be considered for Medicine, according to the UNSW course pdf is minimum 17 A-level points which is 96 ATAR. Mine is 18, so ~97-98 ATAR which is unlikely for an offer...

jf_pt

Lurker
From reading these forums I get the impression that doing a Bachelor of Science is discouraged, but what about using it to get into Master of Nursing Science @ Unimelb (nursing is my backup) should graduate entry fail? To give more context, I most likely won't get an undergrad offer because of my UCAT and thought about doing a gap year to resit the UCAT and work full time (I really want to protect my potential pathway into Monash undergrad), but only if my ATAR is above ~98, otherwise I go into the Bachelor of Science without taking a gap year.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
From reading these forums I get the impression that doing a Bachelor of Science is discouraged, but what about using it to get into Master of Nursing Science @ Unimelb (nursing is my backup) should graduate entry fail? To give more context, I most likely won't get an undergrad offer because of my UCAT and thought about doing a gap year to resit the UCAT and work full time (I really want to protect my potential pathway into Monash undergrad), but only if my ATAR is above ~98, otherwise I go into the Bachelor of Science without taking a gap year.
I personally don’t think there’s anything at all wrong with generalist degrees, as they can bring excellent flexibility for career progression (I say from experience as someone who was tossing up three VERY different options when I started uni and was able to do first year subjects from all three in my general degree). It’s also good that you’re already recognising you may need to do more study regardless of the path you take (whether that be Med, Nursing, or something else) with a general degree, but that’s definitely not automatically a bad thing. Best of luck with your decision making.