Giving up on passion ( medicine) because of skin problems?

Discussion in 'Other alternatives' started by Jenny DeGeneres, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Jenny DeGeneres

Jenny DeGeneres New Member

Hi everyone! I'm in a dilemma. I have serious dark circles. I want to be an obstetrician who will be on call 24/7. And prior to that, I'll have to complete residency which will require me to undertake regular night shifts. I don't mind working long hours but the night shifts and the lack of sleep which will darken my dark circles really bother me a lot! I really don't want to end up looking like a panda... :( Do you think I should give up on my passion because of dark circles (I really care how I look) ? Should I just enter the field of biomedicine and be a medical scientist? The life of a medical scientist is more balanced than a doctor's and doesn't involve night shifts. I was told by a representative of a university that biomed grads have outstanding career opportunities in Australia. Is that true? Is it very hard for a biomed grad to work as a medical scientist in the hospital? I'll really love working in the hospital in the future. And what would you choose if you were me? Thanks for your reply in advance :D

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Resident (JCU MBBS) Administrar

Seems like you're forgetting the 4-6 years of medical school that will also entail little sleep and worsening dark circles. Give up on your dream of perfect skin and medicine, it's unattainable.

3. hopeful2015

hopeful2015 New Member

Hi Jenny, I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. You want to become a doctor...but you're worried about your skin but do not want to study medicine as you think the hours involved will put strain on your eye bags??? From experience...studying anything including biomedical science at uni will probably mean hard work and possible sleepless nights!! I think you need to sit down think about what you really want to do and what matters most to you. You need to figure out for your own whether the compromise of studying medicine or biomedicine at uni will be worth the eye bags you're concerned about. No one can answer that question for you. You state you want to be an obstetrician on call 24/7 but don't want to do night shifts...hmmm. Seems like you're conflicted by your own thoughts. Best of luck figuring it out.... If I were you...I would do more research in to what a medical and biomedical role entails then figure out whether I would be willing to give in to any compromises that come along with it.

4. frootloop

frootloop Otago Trainee Intern (MBChB VI) Moderator

You wouldn't be the first person considering an altered career path because of health problems, plenty of people have (myself included).

If it's dark rings around your eyes you're talking about (I haven't heard of anyone use 'dark rings' in any other context, but correct me if I'm wrong), then it doesn't sound like something that would physically prohibit you from medicine. I can't personally relate to body image problems, but I can imagine it would be very difficult always being self-concious about an aspect of your appearance. However, if it helps, medicine is one of those fields where dark rings around peoples' eyes are hardly uncommon, so I doubt many people would think anything of it.

Personally I wouldn't change my career path because of a small aspect of my appearance, but I guess for you it depends on whether or not you think you'll be able to get past it.

On another note, ain't *nobody* wants to be on call 24/7. Ain't nobody.

5. Nokia123

Nokia123 Regular Member

Get's through the hardest loops and decides to give up over some superficial dark circles that can easily be covered with makeup.

Perhaps become a GP or a research professor of medicine.

6. frootloop

frootloop Otago Trainee Intern (MBChB VI) Moderator

Both super-easy jobs with little stress, and short training which requires no loss of sleep ;)

7. Nokia123

Nokia123 Regular Member

Especially being a professor and the adulation that comes with the job :p

8. Voldemort

Voldemort Brodemort

House Healer, St Mungo's Hospital, Wellington
    Like Nokia said, I hear (no not personal experience -_-) there are some good makeup products that can conceal dark rings.
    Also, there is a chance you will love what you are doing so much, that you end up forgetting about your dark rings.
    I believe there are ways to get enough sleep while being a doctor that isn't in say Medical Science, GPland and the like.
    [offtopic]and there are a number of very good looking doctors not in these fields too :-P[/offtopic]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  9. Season

Season Emeritus MSO Staff Emeritus

Even as a GP you will have to slog through a fair few nights and evening shifts, and have less then 8 hours between shifts. Or worst of all, when you finish all your nights and then can't sleep because there is something you've forgotten to do and since you're so tired and hazy you can't make yourself go through the steps to fix it. This is how I acquired my latest mouth ulcer.

10. chinaski

chinaski Regular Member

I'll be blunt: if you value vanity above professional ambition, don't do medicine. If dark circles around your eyes from being tired are the biggest concern you have about the job, I'd gently suggest you look a little harder at the path ahead.