Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Going into dentistry - Yes or No ?!?

Should I go into dentistry?

• Total voters

jojo159

Lurker
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of applying to australian dental schools for 2015 intake. I don't mind working in rural areas, public or other settings. However there seems to be an oversupply of dentists soon. Given the big commitment to time and money for a dental education, would you advise me to go for or against it?
Thank you. ^_^

Lvl 2

It's very true that there is an over supply of dentists and this problem is probably going to worsen for years to come. But if you enjoy it you should do it. :D

lumos

If you want to do it, do it.

There is definitely an oversupply but don't let it completely deter you if this is a course you want to do. If everyone thought the same thing and decided against going into a course because there was a graduate oversupply, then there wouldn't be any graduates at all.....

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
They need people to work rurally, so if you are willing, I dont think finding a job will be as strenuous as city-bound folk will find it!

~shinigami~

。◕‿◕。
Emeritus Staff
[OFFTOPIC]Brooklyn 99[/OFFTOPIC]

With the current employment climate, I would probably not recommend it.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff

[OFFTOPIC] Brooklyn 99 indeed? A fan? [/offtopic]

jojo159

Lurker
Thanks a lot guys!
If I do bachelor of science at Macquarie university, can I transfer to Melb or Sydney universities for dentistry?

mighty

Thanks a lot guys!
If I do bachelor of science at Macquarie university, can I transfer to Melb or Sydney universities for dentistry?
If by doing a Bachelor and transferring you mean:
1. Completing the BSc
2. Going through the admissions pathways for UMelb/USyd as they are both Graduate courses

Then yes! I would advise having a look at what kind of grades etc that you need to achieve for entry though.

monkey magic

You probably would have a better chance going for griffith if you have a good GPA first year as you have to do well in the Gamsat as well which I hear is pretty hard to do although not impossible.

That said I wouldn't recommend anyone to go to griffith atm as it is a turbulent time in terms of funding as we are limited till the end of the year for QLD health funding for patients.

If you're interested in dent go for it, I advise against it to most people because it's a long road and stressful and if you aren't really that interested in it there are other ways to make money which may be easier and more rewarding depending on your interests.

If you are really good with your hands and have an interest in it go for it but it you are interested in the idea of being a dentist, don't really know what it involves and aren't great with hand skills maybe think again. Some people just aren't meant to be dentists even if they want to be they can't pick up the hand skills.

I used to think anyone can learn anything with enough practice, which may be true but how well and how much time it takes to learn sometimes is independent of effort. I've seen the keenest people with great theoretical knowledge struggle really badly to get basic co-ordination, and the exact opposite where people who have nfi what is going on be really great with their hands and get good clinical results.

UAV

It's really not that bad lol. Top 5 in employment straight out of Uni for any degree in Australia and the highest paying starting salary straight out of uni.

Just a distribution in workforce + overseas dentists coming in (Which should stop this year).