• ALL USERS: please familiarise yourself with the MSO Forum Rules (updated 03/08/20).
  • UCAT PREP COMPANY DISCUSSION: Site administrators have implemented a rule that states there is to be NO mention of UCAT prep companies. This includes discussion, recommendations, questions, and reviews, and extends to allusions, acronyms, and other other attempts to get around the rule. Offending content will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be warned and may be banned.

UMelb Government Study Assist Loans

Ally93

Lurker
Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever applied for one of these government loans to help you with your studies financially?
I have been studying for over a year now in the diploma of nursing course and I didn't know anything about these loan schemes until now, and I thought it would be a good idea to help me buy books, travel and with my materials fee's I still haven't paid (oops) lol.
I'm studying with Careers Australia and as far as I know they are a commonwealth supported place and they offered VET-FEE help which assisted my tuition fees, but I need some other kind of loan to help with my books and other things that I needed ages ago but too poor to buy...

Does anyone know if I'm eligible and what loan I can get? And how do you receive this loan? Do they pay it into your bank account with the amount you want or is it paid through a program like VET-FEE help?

If anyone could help me that would be appreciated, thanks!

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

tomw84

As far as I'm aware, you are referring to the range of tuition loans offered by the government - which include HECS-HELP for CSPs, FEE-HELP for FFPs, SA-HELP, OS-HELP and VET FEE-HELP. These all come under the "Study Assist" banner.

http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/helppayingmyfees

These are not for materials, books etc - just tuition costs. The closest thing to that kind of loan would be the Student Start-up Scholarship which is automatically paid each semester to students receiving student payments through Centrelink (e.g. Austudy/Youth Allowance/Abstudy). As far as I'm aware, these are only paid to students in higher education courses at the associate degree level or higher.

I believe the Start Up scholarship is being transitioned to a loan-scheme similar to HECS/FEE-HELP - ie it will need to be paid back once you are earning over the threshold.

Ally93

Lurker
Hi tomw84,

Thanks for your reply, an yes that is correct. Do you know if I'm eligible to receive this Start-up Scholarship due to my circumstances? I am currently receiving Austudy.

If not, do you know of what other kind of loans I can get that I can pay back in tax?

Thanks

tomw84

Do you know if I'm eligible to receive this Start-up Scholarship due to my circumstances? I am currently receiving Austudy
As I said above, the Start Up Scholarship is only payable to students on Centrelink payments who are studying a higher education course at associate degree level or higher.

As far as I'm aware, there are no other government backed loan schemes for course materials.

I would consider looking at second hand books. Also, if your institution is a TAFE (ie not a private provider), then they may have some schemes to assist with materials. You should enquire with your course coordinator.