Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Non-standard Entry

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I did not get in last year with a gpa of 6.95. There could be some type of 2nd order rank that was used or there were just many 7's
I'd be interested to know why this was, given that two applicants posted that they got in with a 6.71. Perhaps they were rural applicants and didn't say so, or maybe Griffith does their own weighted GPA calculations which places the most emphasis on the most recent year of completed study. Did you have lower grades in the final year of your masters degree, which would support the latter theory?
How can? Somebody said the Griffith Dent 2016 cutoff for non-standards was about 6.75.
Griffith recently changed their dentistry course from a Bachelor of Oral Health in Dental Science + Diploma of Dentistry to a Bachelor of Dental Health Science + Master of Dentistry. I believe with this change, they reduced the number of positions and therefore the cutoff increased, although seeing a 6.71 get in over a 6.95 contradicts this theory. Regardless of this, the cutoff changes every year, so the 2016 cutoff was most likely different to the 2017 cutoff - I gave the 6.75 as a rough value for 2016 admissions because I know multiple people who got in with this GPA.

Fnjwoqbdl

I'd be interested to know why this was, given that two applicants posted that they got in with a 6.71. Perhaps they were rural applicants and didn't say so, or maybe Griffith does their own weighted GPA calculations which places the most emphasis on the most recent year of completed study. Did you have lower grades in the final year of your masters degree, which would support the latter theory?

Griffith recently changed their dentistry course from a Bachelor of Oral Health in Dental Science + Diploma of Dentistry to a Bachelor of Dental Health Science + Master of Dentistry. I believe with this change, they reduced the number of positions and therefore the cutoff increased, although seeing a 6.71 get in over a 6.95 contradicts this theory. Regardless of this, the cutoff changes every year, so the 2016 cutoff was most likely different to the 2017 cutoff - I gave the 6.75 as a rough value for 2016 admissions because I know multiple people who got in with this GPA.
I contacted Griffith University and all they said was the quality of the applications last year was absolutely crazy and that they did not expect it. She said if it was previous years I would have probably got in

Fnjwoqbdl

Does anyone know of any GPA 7's missing out in 2017?
I was on paging dr. and a gpa 7 did miss out. which shows that last year it was very competitive. I was reading somewhere and they said a gpa of 7 does not equal to a 99.95 and instead its more like 99.65. It was someones quote though so I do not know the legitimacy of his comment

I was on paging dr. and a gpa 7 did miss out. which shows that last year it was very competitive. I was reading somewhere and they said a gpa of 7 does not equal to a 99.95 and instead its more like 99.65. It was someones quote though so I do not know the legitimacy of his comment

Was your GPA calculated with the following scale:

85+ = GPA 7
75+ = GPA 6
65+ = GPA 5

And then averaged?? Because I know some schools have an 80+ as a GPA 7. And I know Griffith uses a scale as above^

Last edited:

Fnjwoqbdl

Hey sorry for the late reply. Qtac told me my GPA for Griffith was 6.95. but with my calculations using 80 as GPA 7 I am also placed correctly into 6.95. where did you hear that Griffith used 85 as 7 GPA? If that's the case my GPA is definitely lower.
Was your GPA calculated with the following scale:

85+ = GPA 7
75+ = GPA 6
65+ = GPA 5

And then averaged?? Because I know some schools have an 80+ as a GPA 7. And I know Griffith uses a scale as above^

A1

Rookie Doc
Qtac told me my GPA for Griffith was 6.95. but with my calculations using 80 as GPA 7 I am also placed correctly into 6.95. where did you hear that Griffith used 85 as 7 GPA?

It now appears to be the case that if your academic records show a 82/HD then the other unis (not just Griffith) will take it as a HD. They would disregard the 82 despite them using 85+ for HD.

Fnjwoqbdl

It now appears to be the case that if your academic records show a 82/HD then the other unis (not just Griffith) will take it as a HD. They would disregard the 82 despite them using 85+ for HD.

Yes this is what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation

Janet2018

Lurker
I am very nervous. I have a PhD in microbiology. I guess I am GPA7. I thought gpa was the only filter. What else will they consider?

alexwilko

Can someone please clarify for me before I accept my offer... I got an offer to study a Bachelor of Dental Health Science and I read that this is the only way into griffiths Master of Dentistry. Does this mean everyone that passes Dental Science (first 3 years) automatically progresses to the next 2 years or is there no security?

Thanks p.s. I Have already completed a year of uni

Can someone please clarify for me before I accept my offer... I got an offer to study a Bachelor of Dental Health Science and I read that this is the only way into griffiths Master of Dentistry. Does this mean everyone that passes Dental Science (first 3 years) automatically progresses to the next 2 years or is there no security?

Pretty much, only catch is that the 2 year masters course is full fee = $110k.

sf15

Lurker

You have to pass the Clinical Dental Practice courses in each of the 3 years to progress into the Masters. I talked to the admissions team today as I was also confused.

zerg21

Having had a look at the GPA cut-offs previously it seems those guaranteed entry would be around the 6.9-7.0 mark. Would someone with a 6.56-6.65 stand a chance?

dkae

Having had a look at the GPA cut-offs previously it seems those guaranteed entry would be around the 6.9-7.0 mark. Would someone with a 6.56-6.65 stand a chance?

Anything is possible, but i would imagine 6.75 being the minimum. Its also much easier to get in undergad.

Tomato

Anything is possible, but i would imagine 6.75 being the minimum. Its also much easier to get in undergad.

Accoding to the QTAC stats for 2015-16 and 2016-17, there were only single digit of school leavers in the cohorts, i.e. predominantly non-standard. I know two people who didn't get in because they didn't manage to achieve ATAR 99.65 but they got in after one yr of uni study. I think to achieve GPA 6.75+ may be slightly easier than to achieve 99.65+.

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff

Hey Zerg21,

I just had a look for you on LMG! collated data table here: Aus Med and Dent Place Offers 2018 - Collated Data. It seems that the cut-off was about 6.875 this years intake (2018). Last years intake (2017) was 6.71 according to this post: anyone got into Griffith Dent in 2015 or 2014 with GPA lower than 7.0?

Although, later on there is debate as to whether this was actually the cut-off as it might have been higher still. It might be possible that you'd get in with a 6.65 but unfortunately the chances don't seem that great. It's always worth applying though!

Wishing you all the best with your academic goals.

- Yamster