Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Non-standard Entry

sbxx

Can any one shed more light on the application process for non standards? GPA cut off of 7.0 ? Is it really that high!!? :cry:

Syn

I thought Griffith doesn't have a non-standard entry anymore?

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Griffith still allows non-standard applicants. You are looking at a GPA of 7 for first round and a GPA of 6.5 for second round offers. I am basing these estimates from 2011 entry. Meaning, starting in 2011.

pgawk

Ekki múkk
Are you talking about Griffith Med or Griffith Dent? The gpa threshold for Non-standards (dentistry) is crazy because of how tight the competition is and because it's the only thing used to filter applicants i.e. UMAT/ interview is not used. The medicine course is for graduate entry and the provisional med (Med Sci) course is for school leavers only. I don't think you need 7 though... I was under the impression that you could squeeze in with a sliggghhttlly lower GPA.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
This is the dent forum....

UAV

Griffith still allows non-standard applicants. You are looking at a GPA of 7 for first round and a GPA of 6.5 for second round offers. I am basing these estimates from 2011 entry. Meaning, starting in 2011.

Yeah GPA 7.0 first round and 6.5 second round although I heard it will rise higher than 6.5 :lol:

Mikky

sbxx - I got your private message but I don't have enough forum posts to write back. I'll copy and paste part of my email below.

I was accepted as a non-standard into Griffith Dent. My GPA was 6.9, from what I can gather the lowest GPA cut off was 6.7. However, a friend that was accepted got in with an average GPA of 5 point something, but she had received First Class Honours in her honours year. There was also another accepted with First Class Honours, but I think her GPA was around 6 for her degree. I can only assume that First Class Honours is awarded a rank 99 by QTAC. You should check this with QTAC though.

I also put Griffith in #1 preference.

I hope this has helped, good luck! :)

Hey guys, so if i was to get GPA 7.0 as a non-standard applicant I'm pretty much in? No interview or UMAT or written application?

UAV

Hey guys, so if i was to get GPA 7.0 as a non-standard applicant I'm pretty much in? No interview or UMAT or written application?
Academic Requirements
Pre-requisites- English & one of Chemistry, Biology or Physics
School leaver – OP 1/ Rank 99
Non-standard - GPA 7

Not guaranteed though, depends on who applies, also as a Kiwi you will need to fork out 100k for the final two years.
Whats your GPA? Where are you planning on applying in general? I recall you asking about a few places for med in australia. (yy)

Last edited:
Hey :) Yeah! i saw that, and thought if they didn't take into consideration UMAT or Interview, the competition will be tough as... 100k for the final two years? Havn't actually thought about it that far D:

After the first semester at Auckland Uni I'm pretty sure I can get a GPA of 7 in terms of Australia 7-point GPA scale.
Always good having back-up plans :p

bobby190

I applied in my second year and third year but was not successful even though I thought I would be fine. I only got 1 B+ in my first year and so thought I would get in aswell and overall was pretty close to 7. In both years my GPA was well higher than the aforementioned 6.5 or 6.7. Which is why I speculated that Griffiths uni calculates NZ GPA differently.

So unless you have a 7.0 GPA its good to be cautious.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
I agree. Its a different learning environment and school leavers will have a shock hoping to get a GPA of 7.0. Not to say it isnt impossible, just requires a different skill set

Its just that, i'm pretty sure there would be alot of non-standards with GPA 6.5-7 applying for Australian Med/Dentistry as a back-up plan. If that was the case, what if 40 or more non-standards apply with GPA 7? Would they accept all 40? Seeing as they only look at GPA...

mighty

Hey :) Yeah! i saw that, and thought if they didn't take into consideration UMAT or Interview, the competition will be tough as... 100k for the final two years? Havn't actually thought about it that far D:
Yep, 50k/year for the last 2 years. And as a NZ citizen you'll have to pay ~10k/year for the first 3 years upfront. And keep in mind this is in AUD so it'll be a little bit more in NZD.

Not sure about your question above, maybe call and ask. I would be inclined to think they offer the spots to the GPA 7 students and make less places available for school-leavers/cutoff for school leavers increases.

Venronux

Can I ask how GPA is calculated in Australia. From what I have read so far a GPA of 7 is considered to be pretty high.

At Otago university in New Zealand a GPA of 7 means an A- average, which i doubt would be good enough to get into the med or dent school.

At Otago uni to calculate GPA, A+ = 9, A = 8 and A- = 7 and so on.

Using the Otago GPA calculator my GPA for HSFY is 7.875 and my GPA for the first semester of 2nd year is 8.25.

Can someone please tell me if it will be worth while applying to the dent school ot Griffith uni with these results.

Thank you.