Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Non-standard Entry

Vchloe,

I would check with UAC to make sure they are assessing your application correctly. I have called QTAC and found out that Griffith has finished assessing my previous studies and assigned me a rank of 99 (GPA 6.96) only yesterday :)

Just another question; has the cut-off ever been 7 before? I am worried that 6.96 might not be enough to get into Griffith...

Hey what type of marks did you get in undergrad (or postgrad) to get that 6.96? Im assuming you got a majority of high distinctions?

oh great! did griffith calculate your GPA based on gemsas - so your distinction would count as a 6.5, not a 6 if you got H2A? (if my reading is correct)

i just dont really know high gemsas works... is a distinction a solid 6 or 6.25 if you get 70+ and go to monash? kind of confusing :\

chura

oh great! did griffith calculate your GPA based on gemsas - so your distinction would count as a 6.5, not a 6 if you got H2A? (if my reading is correct)

i just dont really know high gemsas works... is a distinction a solid 6 or 6.25 if you get 70+ and go to monash? kind of confusing :\

I called QTAC on 3 different occasions and spoke to 3 different people regarding how to they calculate GPAs but the only thing that they were allowed to say was that GPAs are calculated by QTAC according to the guidelines provided by individual unis.

Looking at how they calculated my GPA, I would assume that Griffith regarded my H2A as a 6.5 rather than a solid 6. I am not sure if this would be the same if you are studying at Monash though.

By individual uni's do you assume they mean they use the GEMSAS table depending on which uni you went to? Oh thats interesting! because I always thought griffith operated via the 7= HD , 6 = D etc scale... I didnt know they awarded 6.5's and stuff for mid-distinctions.. it seems they follow the GEMSAS guidelines, rather than the simple scale stated on the website.

Also final question - was the GPA you calculated and they calculated 'weighted'? so 2nd year was worth more etc?

chura

I assume that they follow the GEMSAS guidelines unless they give more credit if you studied a dentistry related degree???
And no, it was not weighted. My GPA would be 6.98 if that was the case.

You are welcome :D but it might be a good idea to call QTAC to check your rank as well.
I am just speculating based on the GPA and rank QTAC assigned me.

also are the prereqs of maths + english enough? i dont have bio, chem or physics.

HotIce

Hi everyone!

I just finished one year of B Science (8 subjects) and got a gpa of 7 (WAM of 95). I thought I would feel better by now but I'm still extremely worried about my chances.

My partner is a doctor and for him to relocate to the gold coast, he has to do it now otherwise it will not be possible after the new years.

Should we relocate or wait until 15th of Jan? Is there ANY possibility of me not being accepted? I have spoken to both QTAC and Griffith and both said that last year cut off was 6.6 and kept saying that I have "a very strong application" but there are no guarantees.

uhh the wait is killing me and can't decide of what to do. :/

vonai

Lurker
Well you did better than me @HotIce - I got a GPA 7 (WAM 90) studying Biomedical Science first year - So I reckon you'll get in! and hoping I do too :)

HotIce

Well you did better than me @HotIce - I got a GPA 7 (WAM 90) studying Biomedical Science first year - So I reckon you'll get in! and hoping I do too :)

Oh hope we both do!
I'm stressing over this as it's my only preference on QTAC, otherwise this whole stressful,awful, long year would be a waste!

Well done on your WAM and GPA!

Time

Nice work on the GPA guys! A GPA of 7 is pretty much guaranteed a place for Griffith Dent. You guys should enjoy your holidays while it lasts :)

Dent97

Lurker
Hey guys just wondering what my chances of getting into Dentistry at Griffith are. I didn't make it straight into Dent as i didn't get a high enough OP. So now I'm doing Health Science at Griffith and hoping to bring my GPA up to at least a 6.75. What are the chances of me getting into Dentistry after only completing one year of Health Science with a really good GPA. Will one year of Health Science and a GPA of 6.75-7 be enough?

UAV

Hey guys just wondering what my chances of getting into Dentistry at Griffith are. I didn't make it straight into Dent as i didn't get a high enough OP. So now I'm doing Health Science at Griffith and hoping to bring my GPA up to at least a 6.75. What are the chances of me getting into Dentistry after only completing one year of Health Science with a really good GPA. Will one year of Health Science and a GPA of 6.75-7 be enough?
The higher the better, 6.75+ is usually good enough.

Jnh

Thought I would bump rather than start a new thread.

Is it known yet how Griffith calculate GPA for Non standard Dentistry applicants? Do they use raw GPA or the Gemsas calculation?

Jnhjns: Had it confirmed by Griffith, raw GPA is used, no scaling for different universities.

Come join us over on this thread here: anyone got into Griffith Dent in 2015 or 2014 with GPA lower than 7.0?

It was mentioned that maybe it's not an overall raw GPA that's used but rather the last year of study? I called QTAC they told me a secondary discriminator was used to further distinguish between applicants but then again maybe we're overthinking it and it might just be raw GPA!