Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Non-standard Entry

zerg21

Hey guys, thanks for the answers! Good to know all of that, would prefer to be realistic than just making assumptions :)

K001

Lurker
Hi! Silly question but what counts as non-standard? If I do one semester of part-time studies and one semester of full time studies, would I be eligible to apply as a non-standard?

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Hi! Silly question but what counts as non-standard? If I do one semester of part-time studies and one semester of full time studies, would I be eligible to apply as a non-standard?

Non-standard refers to tertiary entry that isn't direct from high-school.

Yes, you're eligible to apply as a non-standard but it's not likely that you will get in without a full time year of study. Please refer to UQ's ranking system as an example: https://future-students.uq.edu.au/files/8838/UG_Entry_Options_2018.pdf (Griffith doesn't publish theirs).

0.5 FTE year corresponds to a rank of 94 (with a GPA of 6.5+). 1 FTE year of 6.5+ = 99.00 and even these people miss out on offers, so the chances of getting an offer with one full semester in addition to a part-time semester is extremely unlikely.

I'm quite sure that you can however spread your studies across part-time periods, so if you're doing 1 full semester, and 2x 0.5 FTE semesters then I'm pretty sure you've got a chance to apply (as you've met the 8 unit requirement of 1 FTE's - only downside is that you'd have to wait an additional year to apply). Refer to LMG!'s chart in the offers section for entrance scores to the program this year (6.875 IIRC).

Thanks for joining MSO and all the best with your academic goals.

- Yamster

Last edited:

cx123

Lurker
Hi there,

Does anyone know whether you are required to have a COMPLETED Masters degree to apply, or can you apply after just one year of full-time study in your Masters?

I am in the predicament where I have finished my Bachelor of Science Degree and knew I would be unsuccessful for this year's intake (GPA of 6.65), and therefore I now need to decide whether to continue on with Honours / switch to a Masters / start a whole new Bachelor's Degree in order to increase my GPA.

I am currently enrolled in Honours, but am looking at withdrawing as I don't feel confident that I'll be able to achieve the First Class Honours that is required for Griffith (I'm not particularly interested/good at research, and much prefer practical work).

I am looking at switching to a Master's Degree (census date to switch is tomorrow aha..). However, the Masters will take two years to complete, and therefore I wish to know whether I can apply to Griffith after one year of full-time Master's study?

I did consider enrolling into another Bachelor's Degree for one year, but I'd rather advance my studies/career progression as opposed to starting from square one all over again for the mere sake of increasing my GPA.

Apologies for the long query, and thank you kindly in advance :)

dkae

Hi there,

Does anyone know whether you are required to have a COMPLETED Masters degree to apply, or can you apply after just one year of full-time study in your Masters?

I am in the predicament where I have finished my Bachelor of Science Degree and knew I would be unsuccessful for this year's intake (GPA of 6.65), and therefore I now need to decide whether to continue on with Honours / switch to a Masters / start a whole new Bachelor's Degree in order to increase my GPA.

I am currently enrolled in Honours, but am looking at withdrawing as I don't feel confident that I'll be able to achieve the First Class Honours that is required for Griffith (I'm not particularly interested/good at research, and much prefer practical work).

I am looking at switching to a Master's Degree (census date to switch is tomorrow aha..). However, the Masters will take two years to complete, and therefore I wish to know whether I can apply to Griffith after one year of full-time Master's study?

I did consider enrolling into another Bachelor's Degree for one year, but I'd rather advance my studies/career progression as opposed to starting from square one all over again for the mere sake of increasing my GPA.

Masters is generally by course work and u got get a proper GPA so u are capped at a certain rank.

Best course of action would have been to apply in a new bachelors for the year at a different uni to get a new gpa since raising your current one would be fairly hard.

Honours is tricky dependant on how they read your gpa. If they read just honours or everything.

Rough calculations for 6.65 over 3 year even if u got straight 7s would only bump u to about 6.72, just shy of the minimum 6.75.

I have only herd of one person with a 6.75 getting in from my cohort 2018. Mostly 6.875 and above.

You could get in with honours but, its not clear. I would do another bachelors if ur dedicated but it may be a bit late to apply?

Im sure some admin could shed more light on this?

Tomato

Hi there,

If you don't mind to sit UMAT, I think your GPA is ok for UQ dent. UQ dent is csp for 5 years compared to Griffith dent with the last two years full fee.

skm2000

It now appears to be the case that if your academic records show a 82/HD then the other unis (not just Griffith) will take it as a HD. They would disregard the 82 despite them using 85+ for HD.
Hi there. So im first year at uwa and they consider gpa to be 7 if HD( avg >80). So if my grade showed that i got 80 overall for a subject and it indicated HD on the academic sheet, then griffith will consider it a HD regardless of being less than 85?

Thanks in advance

dkae

Hi there. So im first year at uwa and they consider gpa to be 7 if HD( avg >80). So if my grade showed that i got 80 overall for a subject and it indicated HD on the academic sheet, then griffith will consider it a HD regardless of being less than 85?

Thanks in advance

i would say they would read it as GPA only with out going into it to much. they could how ever note that UWA is 80% HD in future but im unsure how they would categorise it.

A1

Rookie Doc

I'm fairly certain that's what UAC does. If your transcript says HD for a subject UAC gives it 7 regardless of the percent mark.

Have not seen anything concrete from QTAC/Griffith though, but I believe they use the same method.

Dentine

Yes, you're eligible to apply as a non-standard but it's not likely that you will get in without a full time year of study. Please refer to UQ's ranking system as an example: https://future-students.uq.edu.au/files/8838/UG_Entry_Options_2018.pdf (Griffith doesn't publish theirs).

1.5 FTE corresponds to a rank of 94 (with a GPA of 6.5+). 2 FTE of 6.5+ = 99.00 and even these people miss out on offers, so the chances of getting an offer with one full semester in addition to a part-time semester is extremely unlikely.

I'm quite sure that you can however spread your studies across part-time periods, so if you're doing 1 full semester, and 2x 0.5 FTE semesters then I'm pretty sure you've got a chance to apply (as you've met the 8 unit requirement of 2 FTE's - only downside is that you'd have to wait an additional year to apply). Refer to LMG!'s chart in the offers section for entrance scores to the program this year (6.875 IIRC).

- Yamster

Hey Yamster, the link doesn't appear to be working anymore however when you refer to 1.5 and 2 FTE are you referring to 1.5 years FTE or 1 and a half semesters FTE

Cheers

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Sorry Dentine, I meant 0.5 and 1.0 FTE, so one semester (4 courses) and 2 semesters (8 courses) respectively. That was an error on my part.

Dentine

Sorry Dentine, I meant 0.5 and 1.0 FTE, so one semester (4 courses) and 2 semesters (8 courses) respectively. That was an error on my part.

No worries Yamster! Thanks for the clarification. Do you also happen to know if 1.5 years of 7 GPA is considered higher than 1 year of 7 - I'd imagine this may be one of the secondary measures we are unsure about - scrolling through this thread I noticed someone with a 6.95 did not receive an offer and that the Griffith dent cohort is predominately non standard applicants? Is the latter true

Cheers

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
No worries Yamster! Thanks for the clarification. Do you also happen to know if 1.5 years of 7 GPA is considered higher than 1 year of 7 - I'd imagine this may be one of the secondary measures we are unsure about - scrolling through this thread I noticed someone with a 6.95 did not receive an offer and that the Griffith dent cohort is predominately non standard applicants? Is the latter true

Cheers

I wouldn't think so, I think previous degrees would be used as a secondary measure. That one with a 6.95 was a weird case, there were offers to applicants with significantly lower GPA's (around 6.63 if my memory serves me well). I remember that they did not clarify how their 6.95 was calculated too so I guess it'll remain an enigma.

Dentine

Thanks for that, obviously there is no way to really know but in terms of previous degrees are you referring to them using the GPA of the previous degree or simply on the amount of study completed - I read somewhere that the amount of study you complete is considered as a factor

Thanks

Last edited:

Nee

0.5 FTE year corresponds to a rank of 94 (with a GPA of 6.5+). 1 FTE year of 6.5+ = 99.00 and even these people miss out on offers, so the chances of getting an offer with one full semester in addition to a part-time semester is extremely unlikely.

I'm quite sure that you can however spread your studies across part-time periods, so if you're doing 1 full semester, and 2x 0.5 FTE semesters then I'm pretty sure you've got a chance to apply (as you've met the 8 unit requirement of 1 FTE's - only downside is that you'd have to wait an additional year to apply). Refer to LMG!'s chart in the offers section for entrance scores to the program this year (6.875 IIRC).

- Yamster
Hi there
I am planning to do 6 units full time study in this yr, 3 units each semester and i have 2 units from previous study, my gpa will be around 6.750, will i be eligible for GU den? Since i am having 2 prior recognition units.
Also will my previous course( i did 1.5 FT study then changed to a new course cause my gpa was too low) affect me in anyway with my application to GU den.
Thanks

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi there
I am planning to do 6 units full time study in this yr, 3 units each semester and i have 2 units from previous study, my gpa will be around 6.750, will i be eligible for GU den? Since i am having 2 prior recognition units.
Also will my previous course( i did 1.5 FT study then changed to a new course cause my gpa was too low) affect me in anyway with my application to GU den.
Thanks

To be on the safe side can you do 8 units this year and save the two transferred units for next year?
If with these two units your GPA can only get to 6.75 it's unlikely you will make the cut which I believe is around 6.875.