Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Non-standard Entry

Nee

To be on the safe side can you do 8 units this year and save the two transferred units for next year?
If with these two units your GPA can only get to 6.75 it's unlikely you will make the cut which I believe is around 6.875.
Thanks heaps
Also will my previous course that I dropped will affect my application or not.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thanks heaps
Griffith should only look at the results from your most recent tertiary study, however they will want at least 1FTE year of study (8 subjects) - I'd say having only 6 graded subjects in your new course will mean your rank will be calculated at a much lower level and would put you out of the running for Griffith dentistry. I'd suggest you contact the Griffith dental faculty and see how they will assess your application now, as it is possible nobody here will be able to give you a definitive answer as to how they'll assess your application.

Reactions: Nee

Jnh

I wouldn't worry, I was excluded from my first degree because I failed 6 of the 8 units in my first year and I got a first round offer for Griffith dent this year.

Nee

I wouldn't worry, I was excluded from my first degree because I failed 6 of the 8 units in my first year and I got a first round offer for Griffith dent this year.
What course did you do before getting into den and what was your GPA.

Nee

Hi everyone
I transferred from medical science (1.5 yr FTS) to science due to my low gpa.
Now I am doing bachelor of science( chemistry) and planning on doing 8 units (1FTS) this yr, plus i got two advanced standing units.
will those 2 units from advanced standing affects my gpa?
Also will i have a greater chance chance to GU DEN for having 10 units including 2 advanced standing units.
Thank you all

Dr Dent

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Hi everyone
I transferred from medical science (1.5 yr FTS) to science due to my low gpa.
Now I am doing bachelor of science( chemistry) and planning on doing 8 units (1FTS) this yr, plus i got two advanced standing units.
will those 2 units from advanced standing affects my gpa?
Also will i have a greater chance chance to GU DEN for having 10 units including 2 advanced standing units.
Thank you all

Hi Neekzade
In reality, it shouldn't really matter. In practice, someone who has done 8 units with say a GPA of 6.8 will rank below someone who has done 10 units with a GPA of 6.8. Your two advance standing units should not have any impact on your rank.

Nee

Hi Neekzade
In reality, it shouldn't really matter. In practice, someone who has done 8 units with say a GPA of 6.8 will rank below someone who has done 10 units with a GPA of 6.8. Your two advance standing units should not have any impact on your rank.
It will not affect my gpa, am i right?

Hi all! I did a Bach in Business at Griffith last year to attempt to get into Dent this year. I didn't get the GPA I needed (ended on 6.5) and now I'm going to attempt to do the same to get into Dentistry next year. What degrees do you guys all recommend? My GP recommended I study Nursing as he said it's fairly easy to obtain 7s providing I put in the work, but part of me is wondering whether I should change to something easier like an arts or stay with business? whats everyones advice?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi all! I did a Bach in Business at Griffith last year to attempt to get into Dent this year. I didn't get the GPA I needed (ended on 6.5) and now I'm going to attempt to do the same to get into Dentistry next year. What degrees do you guys all recommend? My GP recommended I study Nursing as he said it's fairly easy to obtain 7s providing I put in the work, but part of me is wondering whether I should change to something easier like an arts or stay with business? whats everyones advice?
I wouldn’t fall into the trap of just changing degrees every time you don’t get a high enough GPA - all degrees should be completed on their own merits. Unfortunately with dentistry entry being so competitive, the most likely outcome for a dentistry applicant is that they will never gain entry into dentistry. The degree you are doing should be used towards an alternative career path (assuming you don’t already have one) rather than for the sole purpose of gaining entry to dentistry.

As for doing an arts degree because it’s easier to get a high GPA in, I’d actually disagree with that mindset - I think the “easier” degree will be one that you have a genuine interest in (makes it much less of a struggle to study when you’re actually enjoying what you’re learning). I did a biomedical science degree as my undergrad and I guarantee my GPA in that would’ve been higher than if I had done an arts or business degree (which I personally have no interest in).

Last edited:

Q3

It is a myth that arts is easy, and getting HD's in arts is by no means easy, even if you have a passion for it. I would not even say it is easier, in many ways I think scoring HD's in arts is much harder than getting HD's in science subjects.

Nee

Hey guys
Since I switched from med science to science( chemistry ) most of the units will be similar. If i do the units which I already have completed in my previous course, will that somehow affect my application for GU den or any other courses.
Thanks

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Hey Neekzade, it shouldn't matter. Some universities don't allow you to enrol if you've studied the same course elsewhere is the only thing that I can think of but besides that you should be all good.

Nee

Hey Neekzade, it shouldn't matter. Some universities don't allow you to enrol if you've studied the same course elsewhere is the only thing that I can think of but besides that you should be all good.
U mean some uni wont allow me to enroll to the same course that i studied somewhere else( other uni) before?
I will try to avoid those units that i have done in my previous course.

Also i am already enrolled to my new course, so my concern is that do i have to discontinue my previous course cause it still shows up on my record. Or should i leave it as it is
Thanks

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Sorry, I meant same degree. I don't think they can really track your previous courses and see if they're equivalent or not? I know in the same tertiary institution that there's courses that they won't let you enrol in if you've passed a similar course (incompatible courses) but if you're changing university, I'm not sure that they could check that?

What do you think Crow?

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Sorry, I meant same degree. I don't think they can really track your previous courses and see if they're equivalent or not? I know in the same tertiary institution that there's courses that they won't let you enrol in if you've passed a similar course (incompatible courses) but if you're changing university, I'm not sure that they could check that?

What do you think Crow?

They might not be able to check it, but they will ask you to declare it in a form usually.
If they were going to check it wouldn't be difficult for them to email your past university and find out.

Usually when you transfer between courses they will ask if you want credit from a previous degree, so if you have done a unit which is equivalent to one in your new degree you won't be able to do it. Of course you can ask to not have credits counted meaning that you start the entire degree again.

Nee

They might not be able to check it, but they will ask you to declare it in a form usually.
If they were going to check it wouldn't be difficult for them to email your past university and find out.

Usually when you transfer between courses they will ask if you want credit from a previous degree, so if you have done a unit which is equivalent to one in your new degree you won't be able to do it. Of course you can ask to not have credits counted meaning that you start the entire degree again.
They already allowed me to enroll in the units that I already completed.my concern is if i do 8 units this year (will be having 4 units similar to my previous course) , is it gonna affect my application toward GU dentistry.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
They already allowed me to enroll in the units that I already completed.my concern is if i do 8 units this year (will be having 4 units similar to my previous course) , is it gonna affect my application toward GU dentistry.
No, it won’t - they’ll only look at the results from your most recent degree.

Nee

No, it won’t - they’ll only look at the results from your most recent degree.
I have been guaranteed advanced standing for 2 units as well , which wont affect my GPA ( marks are not transferred to new course) . So by end of this yr i will have 10 units hoping to get a GPA of 7. Wondering how Griffit will deal with those 2 advanced standing units?will griffit consider my gpa and wont be caring about advanced standing at all.
Thanks

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I have been guaranteed advanced standing for 2 units as well , which wont affect my GPA ( marks are not transferred to new course) . So by end of this yr i will have 10 units hoping to get a GPA of 7. Wondering how Griffit will deal with those 2 advanced standing units?will griffit consider my gpa and wont be caring about advanced standing at all.
Thanks
If the grades aren’t transferring to your new transcript then it won’t have any affect on your dentistry application at Griffith.