GPA to ATAR conversion

Discussion in 'Medicine Entrance' started by faysapprentice, Jan 12, 2018.

1. faysapprentice

faysapprentice Regular Member

Hi all, I know there is a lot of mystery shrouding GPA to ATAR conversion for UNSW and no one knows exactly what system is used. I got a 99.95 atar in 2016 and maintained a perfect 7.0 GPA in Uni.
    However, I have found out that recently (by calling unsw) that my combined atar equivalent was 99.2
    My hunch is that a gpa 7 is 99.00 flat and this averages with .95 to produce .2
    Just writing this for future reference so you all will have a better idea of how the combined atar is produced. (As I was extremely gobsmacked hearing my atar equivalent was 99.2 only)

2. hpfanfiction

hpfanfiction Paediatric Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital Magical Moderator

Registrar
    Firstly, massive congrats on the offer and on those phenomenal scores :)

A1 I'd love to know your thoughts
    These are my (purely speculative) thoughts:
    -Assuming you got >85 in every subject (as opposed to an average of 85) ie did indeed get that 7.0 and that your theory that 7.0 is equivalent to 99.0 rather than 99.95 is true, then it's bizarre that 99.0 and 99.95 would average out to 99.2!
    -Did you have any ungraded passes, pending results (due to summer school, trimesters, deferred exams) etc ?
    -Did you go part time?

Thanks for the info

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  3. faysapprentice

Yep I got 85 or above in all my subjects
    The averaging resulting in 99.2 would most likely be due to the skew of aggregates to atar conversion
    No ungraded passes or pending results, and I was a full time student

4. Smelly Boy

Smelly Boy Member

I remember emailing Unsw about gpa/atar

I told them I had 6.75 gpa and 98.55 atar and they said my combined score would be somewhere in the 99+ Atar equivalent range

5. A1

A1 Certified Admissions Guru Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    It's possible your GPA 7 was only given 98.0, thus combined with 99.95 to 99.20

Let me see if I can find an old doc that shows for <1 year uni 6.5+ is given 98.0 (which agrees with UNSW's saying you need a mix of HDs & Ds to maintain 98.0). Btw I saw in one of your posts, did you do the full 8 units for the year or did you withdraw from 1 unit?

Here it is
    [​IMG]

acbard9 likes this.
  6. Multitasking

Multitasking Member

Hi.. Unfortunately .. i did not get an offer this year.. but i will still pursue my dream of becoming a doctor.
    My current ATAR is 98.3.. Can anyone pls advise on what GPA do I need to have an equivalent ATAR of ~99.5

thanks.

7. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    The above would indicate that an equivalent of 99.5 is not possible for you after one year of Uni (if you were intending to apply as a non-standard, which you must be given you're asking about ATAR equivalents). Even if you achieved a perfect 7.0, your equivalent will drop to 98.15 on the basis that 7.00 = 98.00 after one year or less of full time study. If you have 6.5+ after two years or more of full time study, you'd have a 99+ ATAR equivalent, but still not 99.50+. That said, you may not need an ATAR equivalent that high, if you can grab yourself a great UMAT.

ETA: This will be for UNSW applications.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  8. Sherlock

Sherlock Breaker of order

9. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
  10. Multitasking

Multitasking Member

Thanks LMG! I really appreciate your response..

11. faysapprentice

I did 7/8 subjects but when I called uac they said that it still counts as full time as its more than 3 subjects per sem so should be fine in that regard and would not have affected it
    when I was talking to them the person said that the max gpa doesnt convert to a max atar but when I probed them more they said that it "was their policy" to not tell me what the max gpa equates to in terms of ATAR.

12. Thots

Thots Member

The amount of grey area surrounding this is frustrating, and just seems unnecessary

13. A1

A1 Certified Admissions Guru Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    This further confirms the table I posted above is very close to what being used for UNSW Med. Despite counting as full-time 7/8 units is less than 1 FTE and the first column shows 6.5+ = 98.0 only.

14. nickzub

nickzub Member

That seems horribly unfair if you get a great ATAR and then still maintain a 7 GPA...

15. hpfanfiction

hpfanfiction Paediatric Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital Magical Moderator

Registrar
    I think it’s more unfair that a GPA of 7 is still equivalent to 99.5 even after 3+ years of FTE
    (Maintaining a GPA of 7 across an entire degree is tougher than for a semester/year or two)