• ALL USERS: please familiarise yourself with the MSO Forum Rules (updated 03/08/20).
  • UCAT PREP COMPANY DISCUSSION: Site administrators have implemented a rule that states there is to be NO mention of UCAT prep companies. This includes discussion, recommendations, questions, and reviews, and extends to allusions, acronyms, and other other attempts to get around the rule. Offending content will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be warned and may be banned.

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate alternative applicant

kei

UoA BSc (Biomed), MBChB II
Hey guys just checking, would first year biomed at Auckland be an equivalent to these Otago HSFY papers?

DMMiss

Lurker
Hi,

That sounds great. I hope it all goes well for you.

I am not surprised about the WINTEC situation as it's not a university. I know of a nurse who graduated from WINTEC but was allowed to apply for HSFY.

Good luck and I would appreciate it if you could update us on this matter.
Hi Stuart,

I am currently a nursing student at Wintec and I am planning to apply dentistry under alternative entry although I do have some concerns that could have impacts or affect on my chances of getting into dentistry.

1. Polytechnic papers (even in nursing) would not be considered as equivalent to the HSFY papers, so it is likely that I would need to do a prescribed course. But do I have to completed the prescribed course before I apply for dentistry?

2. If yes, can I just study under Otago's HSFY as an alternative entry student? And in this case do I have to maintain a super competitive score like other students under HSFY entry in order to get into second year?

3. Wintec and Otago have different grading system for example, at Wintec if you above 85% you get an A+ but in universities like Otago you have to be 90%+ to get an A+ so Im just wondering which grading system they are using when applying? Will my grades got downgraded to matching their grade system?

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
Hi Stuart,

I am currently a nursing student at Wintec and I am planning to apply dentistry under alternative entry although I do have some concerns that could have impacts or affect on my chances of getting into dentistry.

1. Polytechnic papers (even in nursing) would not be considered as equivalent to the HSFY papers, so it is likely that I would need to do a prescribed course. But do I have to completed the prescribed course before I apply for dentistry?

2. If yes, can I just study under Otago's HSFY as an alternative entry student? And in this case do I have to maintain a super competitive score like other students under HSFY entry in order to get into second year?

3. Wintec and Otago have different grading system for example, at Wintec if you above 85% you get an A+ but in universities like Otago you have to be 90%+ to get an A+ so Im just wondering which grading system they are using when applying? Will my grades got downgraded to matching their grade system?
I’m not sure if you’ve read through the other posts in this thread but I suggest you do as a number reference Wintec, including one that refers to someone with a nursing degree. From reading the previous posts I think it’s pretty clear that:

1. your papers won’t be deemed equivalent and you’ll have to do the HSFY ones and

1b. you’ll need to complete these prior to applying.

2 & 3. you should contact the Uni directly for advice on how you should go about accessing these papers and what kind of results you should be aiming for if you choose to go down this route.

Cathay

🚂Train Driver🚆
Emeritus Staff

Hello, I'm an ex med student from Otago, so I'm not an expert on dent admissions but am broadly familiar with the Otago system.

The best advice I can give you is to contact the Health Sciences Admissions Office directly, and to have a read of the Dentistry Entry Requirements. I believe you'll actually be applying under the Graduate category rather than the Alternative category, as you are currently studying towards your first degree. For the first 3 years after completing your degree, you are eligible to apply under the Graduate category; conversely, while you are eligible under the Graduate category you can't apply under the Alternative category as it's reserved for a variety of circumstances, one of which is a NZ graduate who is no longer eligible for Graduate entry.

Re #1, you'll want to contact the admissions office first, and see which of they HSFY papers they need you to do. (It seems to have been established in this thread that dentistry requires HSFY papers done before applying, unlike medicine which requires HSFY papers done after offered a place.)

Re #2, you possibly won't be doing the full HSFY, and in any case, for grad/alt category you won't be competing with the HSFYers. The HSFY papers themselves are open-entry generic BSc papers (many of which also required by other degrees - such as PhysEd students). This is where you'll need the admissions office to look at your previous studies and tell you which papers you need to do, and what results you need to get. (Either a pass, or possibly something like 65%/70% minimum.)

#3 is a question for the Admissions Office to clarify for you - most of our grad applicants on here are from either Otago or Auckland which have the same grading system.