Graduate Category 2018 Chat/Enquiry

Discussion in 'Graduate Category' started by Stuart, Dec 23, 2017.

1. IgA antibodi3

IgA antibodi3 New Member

Hello,
    Just wanted to ask you guys if anyone has done a degree in biological sciences and applied/gotten into medicine?

2. bat123

bat123 New Member

I've seen a few people on this thread discussing UMAT scores and whether they should put off med school for another year to resit the UMAT. I'm in a similar situation so I thought I'd add my 2 cents in case it's helpful... I'm expecting my 2 year GPA to be around 7.84/7.98, it depends a lot on what mark I get for my masters thesis which I haven't received yet. I also did terribly in the UMAT (134 raw). Considering my GPA is at the lower end of graduate GPAs I've decided not to apply this year because I feel that I wouldn't have the best shot and I don't want to waste the application since there are only 2. I also just found out yesterday that as of 2019 Otago and Auckland will no longer be using the UMAT and instead using the UCAT:

New admissions test announced for future healthcare students

I haven't looked into the UCAT too much, but I do know that there are 5 sections (instead of 3) and 2 hours (instead of 3) and it's taken online. I've decided to stick with my decision NOT to apply this year, which means I'll have to do the UCAT next year (pretty nervous about it - it looks quite challenging). Obviously it's a very personal choice and you have to do what you think it right for you, but I just thought I'd let those who aren't sure know that it's not totally crazy to put it off for another year, though having to sit a different test next year definitely throws a spanner in the works. Hope this info is helpful :)

3. unspecified

unspecified New Member

Hi all
    Not sure if this is the right place to post, but hopefully someone that can help me out sees this! I'm a student at University of Otago and after doing surprisingly well in UMAT, I thought I'd try my hand at Auckland in case Otago completely falls through. But since my decision has been so last minute, I'm getting confused by anything and everything. The email I received confirming my application is asking for a detailed description of my papers for credit transfer, but I've already linked my transcript through myEquals so will I still need to do this? If anyone out there is from Otago and has applied, or has been in my position before please save me! I have no idea if I have to have this all done by the Oct 1st deadline either :L

4. yung scurvy

yung scurvy New Member

Hey dude Look up the form AS-14 on auckland website i think this is the form that you need to fill out for credit transfer - NOTE do not quote me on this though

5. better_late_than_never

better_late_than_never New Member

It's probably best that you contact uoa directly through email to confirm this, but I was told by uoa that they would ask for a completed credit transfer once (if) I receive an interview offer (or was it an offer for a place, hmm?) - in other words, complete the credit transfer at a later date when they actually need to confirm your grades (p.s. I am using Otago Masters grades). Can anyone else confirm this? hopefully the message is consistent!

6. luckycharm

luckycharm New Member

Hi I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I was wondering, can anyone comment on the difficulty, workload and enjoyment of the biosci papers? Has anyone done 201/202/203/204?

7. acbard9

acbard9 Regular Member

I've only done BIOSCI 203, which I enjoyed. Also easy to rote-learn (though, probably harder to rote learn if you had many other BIOSCI/MEDSCI papers that semester).

What I'd recommend is to have a look at what Stage 3 papers you're keen for, and not do the harder MEDSCI/BIOSCI papers you don't need as prerequisites, and fill them with easier papers (e.g. MEDSCI 202, STATS any, etc. etc.). You'll be able to find paper recommendations around MSO :)

Best of luck!

luckycharm likes this.
  8. Jay39

Jay39 New Member

Not sure if right thread, but when do the interview dates come out? I can’t seem to find it on the Auckland website. (As in when you get confirmation you’re going to get an interview, not when they actually take place :)) thanks !

9. kei

kei New Member

I believe they come out a week or two before the actual interview happens. So around early November. :)

Jay39 and Verdigris like this.
  10. kei

kei New Member

Hi! I did all of biosci 201, 202 and 203. 201 and 203 were a lot of rote-learning, and 202 required more understanding/problem solving. All these papers have quite the bad reputation in terms of difficulty however it does vary from person to person. For me, I'm pretty decent at memorising so I did quite well in 201 and 203. If you're someone who can memorise a lot of information I definitely recommend them! As for enjoyment.... well... although some of the material were interesting, I often asked myself whether it was necessary to learn so much protein names that you'd forget right after the exam (lol).

202 was the paper I enjoyed the most though! I also took the stage 3 paper that goes after it (351) and I honestly loved them. 202 and 351 were about genetics - they did not test your memorisation skills but focused more on problem solving. There were still quite a bit to memorise but its nowhere near the amount you need to memorise for 201/203.

I know this was quite brief but if you want to find out more about these papers (like their specific topics, the lecturers to watch out for, how it was examined, some general tips, and maybe some notes ;)) I'd be happy to give them if you flick me a message!

luckycharm likes this.
  11. Jay39

Jay39 New Member

Thank you! :)

12. Rookie cookie

Rookie cookie New Member

Hey Jay, last year the interview email came around 10th November if I remember correctly :)

13. Daydream

Daydream New Member

Hello everyone,

I have been reading you for a while and now it's my turn to ask questions.
    I have a GPA of 9 but my raw score is horrendous (140). I decided to apply nonetheless (long story). How likely is it that I will be selected for interview?
    Also, who conducts the interviews? Senior staff, junior staff, temporary staff of the Faculty?

I am thinking to sign up and attend a prep course for the interview. Is it something you would personally recommend/not recommend (money matters aside)?

Feeling I could have had a great chance but my raw score ruined it all -.-

14. kei

kei New Member

Is that a 9 GPA for the last two years? o_O Are you sure you're posting in the right thread? This is the graduate entry thread; but if you did get 9 for the past two years you have a really really high chance of getting in, assuming you won't screw up your interview. And a raw score of 140 isn't too bad, I got a similar score when I was in first year and my MMI feedback said that that's around the average for all applicants so I wouldn't worry too much.

15. Daydream

Daydream New Member

Hi kei, yes, the info above is correct, although my last degree is unrelated to med or science. I'm not sure if this changes the way they look at applicants and their GPAs.

16. Stuart

Stuart Moderator Moderator

Hi Daydream,

You should have little problem with getting an interview if your GPA is 9.0. The UMAT does not play a role in getting an interview offer. They will not discriminate against your degree, so don't worry about that.

Daydream likes this.
  17. better_late_than_never

better_late_than_never New Member

For those applying through the graduate category and studying a qualification outside of UoA, does anyone know date deadline that transcripts need to be available by?

18. Daydream

Daydream New Member

Hey better_late_than_never , I like your nickname :)

I have some notes from the application form page. I am not sure if any of these aply to you but I hope it helps!

From my notes: you must upload a copy of your unofficial transcript by 1 November for interview consideration. In addition, applicants awaiting their final semester results will need to upload a further copy their unofficial transcripts including the final semester grades by 30 November.

All graduate category applicants (other than UoA graduates) must submit a certified hard copy of their final official transcript to Applications and Admissions by 15 January.

It would be good if someone else can confirm this :)

19. Stuart

Stuart Moderator Moderator

Hi,

This sounds about right to me.