Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate Category Chat/Enquiry

babby

Lurker
I was wondering what everyone thought about Auckland using a 3 year cumulative GPA instead of only the last two years and whether this will affect the entry cutoffs? I was really disappointed when they changed it, since my first year GPA is 5, my second year is 8.8 and this year's should somewhere in the 8s. I've calculated something like a 7.6 overall gpa, so not really a decent chance under the last few years' cutoffs.

Fili

Dentistry Student
Valued Member
I was wondering what everyone thought about Auckland using a 3 year cumulative GPA instead of only the last two years and whether this will affect the entry cutoffs? I was really disappointed when they changed it, since my first year GPA is 5, my second year is 8.8 and this year's should somewhere in the 8s. I've calculated something like a 7.6 overall gpa, so not really a decent chance under the last few years' cutoffs.
It's expected that the cutoffs GPA wise would be lower since most applicants would not have done well in first year either as most would have neglected their other papers that weren't the 4 needed ones.

There's no reason to compare using last years' cutoffs because they used a different system. Doing so will just cause unnecessary stress and it's highly likely that GPA of most applicants will be lower as it's cumulative now.

Is anyone else extremely disappointed that UoA now only allows you to apply ONCE per 'qualifying degree/qualification'??? I applied and got accepted for this year, however due to various circumstances (of which none were good enough apparently - I tried), I had to ACCEPT and try and defer. The thing is, the rule change came AFTER I applied last year (I applied knowing I had 2x shots, so even if I got in and declined, I'd still have this year).

This is supremely unfair and I raised it multiple times, however they wouldn't budge. Of course its way too late to still defer as I gave up my spot after accepting and having my deferral declined, but at the VERY least allow me to apply again...

The thing is, they now have a disclaimer on the admissions page which goes along the lines of 'conditions may change year by year', which conveniently popped up the week after I lost my battle with the admissions council.

What could possibly be the reason for them reducing from 2x applications to just 1? Its contrary to almost every single Australian university and even UoO. I can only think of revenue raising. Ridiculous.

Fili

Dentistry Student
Valued Member
Is anyone else extremely disappointed that UoA now only allows you to apply ONCE per 'qualifying degree/qualification'??? I applied and got accepted for this year, however due to various circumstances (of which none were good enough apparently - I tried), I had to ACCEPT and try and defer. The thing is, the rule change came AFTER I applied last year (I applied knowing I had 2x shots, so even if I got in and declined, I'd still have this year).

This is supremely unfair and I raised it multiple times, however they wouldn't budge. Of course its way too late to still defer as I gave up my spot after accepting and having my deferral declined, but at the VERY least allow me to apply again...

The thing is, they now have a disclaimer on the admissions page which goes along the lines of 'conditions may change year by year', which conveniently popped up the week after I lost my battle with the admissions council.

What could possibly be the reason for them reducing from 2x applications to just 1? Its contrary to almost every single Australian university and even UoO. I can only think of revenue raising. Ridiculous.
Yeah UoA seems to be pretty bad in giving out information at the right time. I think you can also only apply once in Otago e.g. either after HSFY, after a bachelor's, after honours etc too though. However, my friends who were thinking of deferring their offers at Otago were told that they would have to apply again if they were to try defer their offer - unless ofc it's a very good excuse to defer and not just to do research or take a gap year.