Graduate Category Chat/Enquiry

Ok thanks a lot for the encouragement!

Yeah I think I will truck on with the application and see what happens. Good luck for everyone applying :)
Wow like everybody has said - massive congrats on the UCAT score! One thing to keep in mind is that graduate grades have to be back by 30th Nov, so if you have done your honours you are all good but if you are completing this year you may need to organise with your supervisor/markers to have the grades back on time :)

Good luck!!

5ushi

Hello everyone!

I'm also a grad applicant for 2022. I've been looking into past GPAs for UoA Med and at the moment I'm considering applying. Just wondering what everyone else thinks here too. I will probably end my Honours year in Otago at around an 8 GPA (depending on how my thesis goes) and I also have a UCAT score of 3400. If I get an interview, to be competitive in my application I imagine I will have to get a stellar score in the MMI, is that right? Looking at the past years it seems possible, but I don't know if I'm misinterpreting them.
Congratz on that awesome UCAT score! It'll definitely be a big boost to your overall ranking!

duftlagl

Wow like everybody has said - massive congrats on the UCAT score! One thing to keep in mind is that graduate grades have to be back by 30th Nov, so if you have done your honours you are all good but if you are completing this year you may need to organise with your supervisor/markers to have the grades back on time :)

Good luck!!
Hi, I am an Otago student in my final year of physiology and was thinking of doing a pre-Christmas paper to hopefully boost up my GPA. The final exam for it is on 18 December and I am pretty sure that in Otago, they save some seats for these students and does not give all offers out until the pre-Christmas grades are out. But if I interpreted what you are saying correctly, would my pre-Christmas grades not be counted towards my GPA at Auckland Uni?

Hi, I am an Otago student in my final year of physiology and was thinking of doing a pre-Christmas paper to hopefully boost up my GPA. The final exam for it is on 18 December and I am pretty sure that in Otago, they save some seats for these students and does not give all offers out until the pre-Christmas grades are out. But if I interpreted what you are saying correctly, would my pre-Christmas grades not be counted towards my GPA at Auckland Uni?

Auckland releases offers before Christmas…so I’m not sure they would count that because they usually require all graduate grades before 30th Nov. for ranking…maybe try contact the FMHS to ask, it might only be for UoA students that the deadline is set in stone!

MikalX

Lurker
Hello,

Fellow Graduate Entry hopeful here. I have previously applied using my undergraduate degree which was unsuccessful. This year I am doing a PGDipSci at UoA and just applied again for next year. Just to make sure, but I assume I don't need to do anything and UoA will only only look at my PGDipSci grades and not my undergraduate ones?

Appreciate if anyone has an idea :)

Thanks!

drum99

Hello,

Fellow Graduate Entry hopeful here. I have previously applied using my undergraduate degree which was unsuccessful. This year I am doing a PGDipSci at UoA and just applied again for next year. Just to make sure, but I assume I don't need to do anything and UoA will only only look at my PGDipSci grades and not my undergraduate ones?

Thanks!
Yes I believe that's the case! I think if you're doing like a standalone one year programme they don't look at any other past grades....

Hollyw28

BSc Biomed, PGDip Biomed, PGDip HSc
Hello,

Thanks!
Yup they only look at the PGDip! I did the same :)

Mani

Hello all!

I'm sadly scoring in the 2650-2700 range in UCAT at the moment (my test is in 6-9 days). Doing lots of practice!

I have 2 assignments left for my Masters, pending how they go I will end on either a 9.0 GPA (which I'm hoping for) or 8.875 GPA (1 paper A, 7 papers A+).

Is my UCAT score too low to bother applying?

Am I wrong in thinking that a 65 percentile is like 9.75/15, whereas a 80 percentile is like 12/15, so not a MASSIVE difference?

Hollyw28

BSc Biomed, PGDip Biomed, PGDip HSc
Hello all!

I'm sadly scoring in the 2650-2700 range in UCAT at the moment (my test is in 6-9 days). Doing lots of practice!

I have 2 assignments left for my Masters, pending how they go I will end on either a 9.0 GPA (which I'm hoping for) or 8.875 GPA (1 paper A, 7 papers A+).

Am I wrong in thinking that a 65 percentile is like 9.75/15, whereas a 80 percentile is like 12/15, so not a MASSIVE difference?
UCAT in the 2650-2700 range is great. With a GPA of either 9 or 8.875 you should definitely apply. The lowest successful UCAT score last year was less than 2300 for grad applicants. For sure apply, with a solid MMI and that GPA you'd have a pretty good chance I'd say!

I'm not sure what you mean about the percentiles there. Regardless, APPLY!! :yay:

drum99

Hello all!

If your GPA is going to be that high you should definitely apply. The reason for this - 60% of your rank score comes from GPA alone! UCAT only makes 15%, which isn't that much really. MMI is worth 25% I think, so you should probably put more energy into that than the UCAT I suppose!

Hello all!

Ditto what everyone else has said!

In terms of the percentile Q at the bottom, UoA takes raw score and divides it by the average (there are some posts here about how exactly they do that), but basically it means your 15% takes into account the standard deviation to equalise everybody's UCAT score even more - so in short, UCAT scoring is really not even worth that much & you should definitely apply! :)

dhaja755

Lurker
Hi there everyone,

Hope everyone is well!
I have gone through this thread and was wanting some specific advice for my case. I am a pharmacist, finished University of Otago in 2018 and have been practicing as a pharmacist since. I am planning to do a post grad diploma in clinical pharmacy next year to boost my GPA up as I am certain my Pharmacy degree GPA will not be sufficient, so I can apply for entry into med at Auckland 2023. Does anyone have a rough indication of what GPA is required? Does anyone know what the most recent trend has been?
And also what kind of UCAT scores are considered confident to give me a great chance? Are UCAT and UMAT very similar in their make up?

Has been 3 years since university and have finally got the motivation to want to study medicine :) any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there everyone,

Hope everyone is well!
I have gone through this thread and was wanting some specific advice for my case. I am a pharmacist, finished University of Otago in 2018 and have been practicing as a pharmacist since. I am planning to do a post grad diploma in clinical pharmacy next year to boost my GPA up as I am certain my Pharmacy degree GPA will not be sufficient, so I can apply for entry into med at Auckland 2023. Does anyone have a rough indication of what GPA is required? Does anyone know what the most recent trend has been?
And also what kind of UCAT scores are considered confident to give me a great chance? Are UCAT and UMAT very similar in their make up?

Has been 3 years since university and have finally got the motivation to want to study medicine :) any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Hi mate,
Props to you for finding that motivation to go back to university.
Your pharmacy background will allow you to relax in the pharmacology courses in medicine. However, do you currently work in hospital pharmacy or in retail pharmacy? My partner is a pharmacist in a large tertiary hospital and has undertaken that course at another university. She has found it quite draining and arduous. If you are thinking of doing another degree to boost your GPA, I wouldn't recommend you to do the GradDipClinPharm if you currently work in a community setting.

dhaja755

Lurker
Hi mate,
Props to you for finding that motivation to go back to university.
Your pharmacy background will allow you to relax in the pharmacology courses in medicine. However, do you currently work in hospital pharmacy or in retail pharmacy? My partner is a pharmacist in a large tertiary hospital and has undertaken that course at another university. She has found it quite draining and arduous. If you are thinking of doing another degree to boost your GPA, I wouldn't recommend you to do the GradDipClinPharm if you currently work in a community setting.
Thanks for the reply :)
I am currently working in community/retail pharmacy. If you don’t mind me asking what was it about the course that she found draining and arduous? Just so I know what I could be getting myself into. Did she find it easy or hard? The only reason I’ve thought about GradDipClinPharm is because I believe I’d find it easier to do a course in something I’m very accustomed too. And also because of the length of the course being just 1 year. Is there any recommendations you could give on any other courses to do?

Bootleg

I am currently working in community/retail pharmacy. If you don’t mind me asking what was it about the course that she found draining and arduous? Just so I know what I could be getting myself into. Did she find it easy or hard? The only reason I’ve thought about GradDipClinPharm is because I believe I’d find it easier to do a course in something I’m very accustomed too. And also because of the length of the course being just 1 year. Is there any recommendations you could give on any other courses to do?
Just a heads up. To be eligible for the UoA graduate entry in terms of post graduate studies, you would need to have done a PGDip or higher. UoA will not accept a GradDip.

dhaja755

Lurker
Just a heads up. To be eligible for the UoA graduate entry in terms of post graduate studies, you would need to have done a PGDip or higher. UoA will not accept a GradDip.
Thanks for your reply! Sorry just to clear confusion and might be a stupid question. What’s the difference between the two? I can only find PGdip for Auckland University for pharmacy? There doesn’t seem to be any GradDip?

Hi there,
My partner actually completed the MClinPharm so I think it is the next step up from the PGDipClinPharm. She said it was a great course overall. The skills and knowledge acquired from the course is valuable, however it is a very challenging course. You cover a lot in a short amount of time and the course has a focus on digging and critically appraising the latest clinical evidence (journals, system/meta analyses).

Thanks for your reply! Sorry just to clear confusion and might be a stupid question. What’s the difference between the two? I can only find PGdip for Auckland University for pharmacy? There doesn’t seem to be any GradDip?
I believe they are the same.