Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoA Graduate Category Chat/Enquiry

hello321

Their is a dispensation for the minimum academic time clause though - for socially compelling reasons, bereavement, sickness etc. If you studied part time because of this and you have proof you can still apply....
Thanks drum99 for your reply :) I was playing international sport overseas, so unsure if they would match the compelling reasons given, however I will contact admissions asap to ask. Cheers!

drum99

UoA MBChB III
Thanks drum99 for your reply :) I was playing international sport overseas, so unsure if they would match the compelling reasons given, however I will contact admissions asap to ask. Cheers!
Wow that's flippen cool !!!! What sport!!!???

hello321

Wow that's flippen cool !!!! What sport!!!???
Thanks so much! Football :) so stoked to have been able to do it but have always wanted to study med, now it's a bit harder having studied part-time making me ineligible for admissions, so may give Alternate Category at UoO a shot

drum99

UoA MBChB III
Thanks so much! Football :) so stoked to have been able to do it but have always wanted to study med, now it's a bit harder having studied part-time making me ineligible for admissions, so may give Alternate Category at UoO a shot
Yeah I just remembered you posted in the Alternative forum too right? I just re-read it about your experiences - man you have to apply this cycle to alternative !!!!! With all your experience and good GPA and stuff you have such a good chance imo......honestly I don't think further study just for the hell of it does much for Alternative....I reckon you would definitely get an interview with a good statement as well...

hello321

Yeah I just remembered you posted in the Alternative forum too right? I just re-read it about your experiences - man you have to apply this cycle to alternative !!!!! With all your experience and good GPA and stuff you have such a good chance imo......honestly I don't think further study just for the hell of it does much for Alternative....I reckon you would definitely get an interview with a good statement as well...
yeah I was going to apply last year and I chickened out, I guess the one time application really put me off! thanks so much for that, I think I will go for it this year :)

drum99

UoA MBChB III
yeah I was going to apply last year and I chickened out, I guess the one time application really put me off! thanks so much for that, I think I will go for it this year :)
Yeah it's pretty buzzy the one time deal eh. The way I did it was to combine it with a UoA application grad entry to maybe up my chances haha....if you were to do more study this year you could apply to both as well lol....but you definitely should apply for alternative imo....I would be really surprised if you didn't get an interview for real....

I haven't posted on here for a few weeks because I'm still emotionally recovering from my decline LOL but just in case anyone is interested I have applied for an appeal of my decline and will keep y'all updated on the outcome. Does anyone know of successful appeals in the past (either moved to waitlist or even given an offer)? :)
Good luck with your appeal!!! Keep us posted

Hollyw28

BSc Biomed, PGDip Biomed, PGDip HSc, MBiomedSc
I haven't posted on here for a few weeks because I'm still emotionally recovering from my decline LOL but just in case anyone is interested I have applied for an appeal of my decline and will keep y'all updated on the outcome. Does anyone know of successful appeals in the past (either moved to waitlist or even given an offer)? :)
Update: The University reconsidered my application with my new GPA (8.375 rather than 8.25) however my application for appeal remained unsuccessful and the outcome didn't change unfortunately. They did state that my UCAT and GPA were "well within the range of those of successful applicants" however my MMI score was "below the mean" and as a result I wasn't eligible, which is completely fair. I'm happy they reconsidered me with my new GPA despite the outcome being the same. Now I just need to work on my interview for this time around :lol:

Are there any Auckland based courses/workshops anyone recommends (if we're allowed to talk about them?) Or any general tips for preparation? I thought I did alright in my interview but clearly not!!! :(

JL538

Monash University - BMedSc/MD I
Are there any Auckland based courses/workshops anyone recommends (if we're allowed to talk about them?)
"13. No discussion of paid preparation services, whether including a direct reference to the name or otherwise."

Bootleg

Update: The University reconsidered my application with my new GPA (8.375 rather than 8.25) however my application for appeal remained unsuccessful and the outcome didn't change unfortunately. They did state that my UCAT and GPA were "well within the range of those of successful applicants" however my MMI score was "below the mean" and as a result I wasn't eligible, which is completely fair. I'm happy they reconsidered me with my new GPA despite the outcome being the same. Now I just need to work on my interview for this time around :lol:

Are there any Auckland based courses/workshops anyone recommends (if we're allowed to talk about them?) Or any general tips for preparation? I thought I did alright in my interview but clearly not!!! :(
On a completely unrelated note, I am curious as to what you will do now? because you are only allowed 1 entry /opportunity to try per qualification in the Graduate category, do you plan on taking masters now and try again in two years time?

Hollyw28

On a completely unrelated note, I am curious as to what you will do now? because you are only allowed 1 entry /opportunity to try per qualification in the Graduate category, do you plan on taking masters now and try again in two years time?
I'm gonna do another PGDip but this time in Health Sciences, with a focus on public health policy and health systems! Which will be super interesting and will probs help me heaps with interview related stuff. That way if I don't get in again I have two potential avenues of research: public health policy as well as biomedical sciences (specifically neurosciences), depending on which I end up liking more. I like both a lot so both will be a good plan B :)

Bootleg

I'm gonna do another PGDip but this time in Health Sciences, with a focus on public health policy and health systems! Which will be super interesting and will probs help me heaps with interview related stuff. That way if I don't get in again I have two potential avenues of research: public health policy as well as biomedical sciences (specifically neurosciences), depending on which I end up liking more. I like both a lot so both will be a good plan B :)
You might want to check the regulations on this, because I am not quite sure (I could be absolutely wrong) whether you are allowed to apply twice with the same degree title (as they are both postgraduate diplomas) but with different specializations.

Hollyw28

You might want to check the regulations on this, because I am not quite sure (I could be absolutely wrong) whether you are allowed to apply twice with the same degree title (as they are both postgraduate diplomas) but with different specializations.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll give them a ring on Monday!

mideasyrole

Does anyone know if UoA is still accepting enrolments into semester 1 papers? I know there may be some late fees or something.

DrMel5916

Lurker
Hey guys.
first time poster so hopefully this is the place and right way.
just wondering if anyone has applied to UoA for med school and either had young kids (newborn - toddler) while studying or fallen pregnant while in study?
if so, how did you find it, what support was available via the university, did you take a break/gap semester during pregnancy/birth?
thanks!!

drum99

UoA MBChB III
Hey guys.
first time poster so hopefully this is the place and right way.
just wondering if anyone has applied to UoA for med school and either had young kids (newborn - toddler) while studying or fallen pregnant while in study?
if so, how did you find it, what support was available via the university, did you take a break/gap semester during pregnancy/birth?
thanks!!
I just saw this and it's up my alley so here goes : applied to UoA med through grad entry, got accepted and currently doing the 4 core prereq papers as come from an arts background. I have 2 kids, 4 and 1 and am about 4 weeks in to First Semester. Just speaking from my perspective, it's been way harder than I thought it was going to be. Partly because I don't have a great science platform so I feel I'm working quite hard just to aim for a B which is what I need to progress. We shall see! I'm a bit terrified of what full time med would entail. Tbh it does seem people who do it with kids are the complete outliers. In terms of help from uni - I suppose there is a uni daycare but my kids just go to a local daycare about 3 days a week. I suppose it's doable but right now it's rough!

DrMel5916

Lurker
I just saw this and it's up my alley so here goes : applied to UoA med through grad entry, got accepted and currently doing the 4 core prereq papers as come from an arts background. I have 2 kids, 4 and 1 and am about 4 weeks in to First Semester. Just speaking from my perspective, it's been way harder than I thought it was going to be. Partly because I don't have a great science platform so I feel I'm working quite hard just to aim for a B which is what I need to progress. We shall see! I'm a bit terrified of what full time med would entail. Tbh it does seem people who do it with kids are the complete outliers. In terms of help from uni - I suppose there is a uni daycare but my kids just go to a local daycare about 3 days a week. I suppose it's doable but right now it's rough!
I’ll be coming from a Biomed background. Just completing a masters in biomed (chemical genetics) now so hopefully I can go straight into med and not have to pick up other papers. How have your kids found it? Has it been a large disruption to their lives?

drum99

UoA MBChB III
I’ll be coming from a Biomed background. Just completing a masters in biomed (chemical genetics) now so hopefully I can go straight into med and not have to pick up other papers. How have your kids found it? Has it been a large disruption to their lives?
Oh man that's flippen EPIC. Yeah I'm guessing you did the 4 core papers years ago then......yeah I think personally I'm just finding it difficult cos it's literally the other side of my brain kicking into gear that has been lying dormant for too long HA!! Oh my life. Fascinating as though, sheesh. Ummm, I think my kids have probably found it a bit hard just cos I've been stressed ha. So I haven't been my usual care-free self. But not much has changed for them in regards to their routine and stuff. I actually got into Otago as well through Alternative and we were considering going down there as a family - thanking my lucky stars we didn't, cos that would have been a HUGE disruption for them. They're still seeing the wider family (grandparents, uncles etc) so to be honest they seem all good. My son is starting school soon too so that might help the schedule in terms of having more of a solid routine. I think we're all just feeling our way so far. But you would be fine I'm sure being a Master of science!!!

drum99

UoA MBChB III
Hey also if you get in, maybe we can both start next year!!!?? haha