Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoA Graduate Category Chat/Enquiry

Bootleg

Just to clarify, I applied after first year of BHSc but got rejected, after I complete my BHSc I am able to apply again right? Thanks for the help!

Also! I remember you from previous threads in which you were very helpful! Are you doing PGDipHSc now? Would love to hear how you found the first semester so far seeing as I am considering this pathway and don't know anyone in postgrad health science studies! Thank you :)
For your first question. Yes, after you complete your BHSc, you can apply again but only once (for that degree). If you want to apply again, you either need to do a PGDip or a masters.

Hollyw28

BSc Biomed, PGDip Biomed, PGDip HSc, MBiomedSc
Just to clarify, I applied after first year of BHSc but got rejected, after I complete my BHSc I am able to apply again right? Thanks for the help!

Also! I remember you from previous threads in which you were very helpful! Are you doing PGDipHSc now? Would love to hear how you found the first semester so far seeing as I am considering this pathway and don't know anyone in postgrad health science studies! Thank you :)
Yes you'll be able to apply again as a graduate with your entire BHSc, so your GPA will be over 3 years.

Yeah I'm doing my PGDipHSc this year (did my PGDip in Biomed last year). I'm actually enjoying it! I wasn't sure if I would since I'm so used to MEDSCI papers and haven't done any POPLHLTH ones before. I'm doing just a general PGDip instead of one with a focus (e.g. public policy) so that I could pick any papers that I wanted. I did 2 MEDSCIs this sem (729 and 715, perinatal physiology and molecular toxicology) along with 2 POPLHLTH papers (722 and 738, organisation of health systems and biology of addiction). I've really enjoyed them and I'm finding that the POPLHLTH papers are giving me some great information that will be needed for both the MMI and later in life regardless of the field I end up in. All in all I probably preferred by PGDip in Biomed just because its more my thing however I am really enjoying what I'm doing and its really interesting. Next semester I'm only doing POPLHLTH papers which will be new to me (away from my comfort MEDSCIs lmao) but I've pretty much done all of the 700 level MEDSCIs that I can realistically do at this point. We'll see how it goes!

If you don't get in again after applying with your BHSc this is a pathway I'd definitely recommend, especially if you're not ready for a Masters/don't want to do one. Gives you a clean GPA slate too!

Daring

Hi all, I hope any of you preparing for the UCAT are going well - otherwise enjoying your sem break! :)

This is my first time posting here, I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the deferral process at UOA if offered a place in medicine. I am finishing up my Bachelors this year and am looking at applying having done UCAT this year as well. However, ideally I would like to complete my internship next year before entering MBChb if offered the following year. Is this a process that would be accepted - or would I have to apply again next year and resit the UCAT?

Thanks in advance!

drum99

UoA MBChB III
Hi all, I hope any of you preparing for the UCAT are going well - otherwise enjoying your sem break! :)

This is my first time posting here, I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the deferral process at UOA if offered a place in medicine. I am finishing up my Bachelors this year and am looking at applying having done UCAT this year as well. However, ideally I would like to complete my internship next year before entering MBChb if offered the following year. Is this a process that would be accepted - or would I have to apply again next year and resit the UCAT?

Thanks in advance!
I think you should be able to defer if you were accepted into the MBChB programme - I think you just need to put it in writing and make an official application to defer.....

Bootleg

Thanks in advance!
I am not really clear on how the deferral process works, so it's best to email fmhs regarding specific advice to your satiation.

However, bear in mind, if you do get accepted into medicine this year and they deny you from deferring (for whatever reason), then you won't be allowed to apply for the MBChB program next year with the same degree as you are only allowed to apply ONCE for every degree.

Therefore,
if you want to apply again (after you done your internship) you would need to do a postgraduate degree and the grades from that will be used for entry.

Daring

I am not really clear on how the deferral process works, so it's best to email fmhs regarding specific advice to your satiation.

However, bear in mind, if you do get accepted into medicine this year and they deny you from deferring (for whatever reason), then you won't be allowed to apply for the MBChB program next year with the same degree as you are only allowed to apply ONCE for every degree.

Therefore,
if you want to apply again (after you done your internship) you would need to do a postgraduate degree and the grades from that will be used for entry.
That is definitely something to be aware of! - Thank you!
I have enquired to UOA and will see what they say.

egwh123

Hello, I was wondering whether UoA's MMI interviews for medicine is similar/same as their optometry interviews? Could someone please clarify this?

Therefore,
Hi Bootleg, is this the same for optometry as well? If I applied in first year, am I not eligible to apply in 2/3rd year of the same degree?

drum99

UoA MBChB III
Hello, I was wondering whether UoA's MMI interviews for medicine is similar/same as their optometry interviews? Could someone please clarify this?

Exact same interview for ALL clinical programmes I believe

Last edited:

Bootleg

Hi Bootleg, is this the same for optometry as well? If I applied in first year, am I not eligible to apply in 2/3rd year of the same degree?
The rule in MBChB does not extend to optometry. As long as you have completed a degree on a full time basis, you can apply for optom entry every year with the same degree provided your last year of full time study is no more than 5 years prior to the year of application.

studykiwi

UoA MBChB II
Hey y'all, I'm planning to apply for med entry under the graduate (honours in biomed) at the end of this year, or maybe next year. Just wanted to see if anybody here is also planning to apply because I'm feeling a little bit lonely in the process haha. I've never applied for any clinical programmes as it's been a fairly recent decision to apply for med, so would love any advice/fellow applicants to chat with for the rest of the application process :)

Bootleg

Hey y'all, I'm planning to apply for med entry under the graduate (honours in biomed) at the end of this year, or maybe next year. Just wanted to see if anybody here is also planning to apply because I'm feeling a little bit lonely in the process haha. I've never applied for any clinical programmes as it's been a fairly recent decision to apply for med, so would love any advice/fellow applicants to chat with for the rest of the application process :)
Just a heads up, if you apply this year, UoA will send you a email asking you if you wish to use your bachelors grades or honours grades for entry.

As for the application process just follow the portal instructions.

studykiwi

UoA MBChB II
Just a heads up, if you apply this year, UoA will send you a email asking you if you wish to use your bachelors grades or honours grades for entry.

As for the application process just follow the portal instructions.
Thanks for that! I did speak to the admissions office who told me that - do you know if they email once you’ve applied or do I need to contact them before completing the application? I’m completing honours this year so I’ve had a special timeline for marking organised (to meet the Nov. 30th grade release date).

drum99

UoA MBChB III
I applied last year from a Masters degree at UoA - happy to chat about the process or anything! I'm doing the 4 core papers this year so who knows, we may be classmates next year! Cheers

studykiwi

UoA MBChB II
I applied last year from a Masters degree at UoA - happy to chat about the process or anything! I'm doing the 4 core papers this year so who knows, we may be classmates next year! Cheers
Thanks I will definitely ask you some questions! Will send you a PM!

Hollyw28

BSc Biomed, PGDip Biomed, PGDip HSc, MBiomedSc
I applied last year with a PGDip in Biomed, and I'm applying again this year with a PGDip in Health Sciences! (Both at UoA). Happy to have a chat about the application process or anything you like! :)

I'm a little confused with the wording of the graduate entry requirements... It says that to be eligible for consideration of an admissions interview, domestic applicants will need to complete, normally in the minimum academic time etc. etc. So I'm currently in progress with my Honours degree and will finish it this year (thesis hand in on Nov 15), am I still eligible to apply? There's also been rumours of graduate grade deadlines moving forward - has anyone else seen this?

Fili

Dentist 🦷
I'm a little confused with the wording of the graduate entry requirements... It says that to be eligible for consideration of an admissions interview, domestic applicants will need to complete, normally in the minimum academic time etc. etc. So I'm currently in progress with my Honours degree and will finish it this year (thesis hand in on Nov 15), am I still eligible to apply? There's also been rumours of graduate grade deadlines moving forward - has anyone else seen this?

Minimum academic time is e.g. finishing a 3 year degree in 3 years instead of taking 5 years to finish it

With your Honours Degree, I'm assuming it took you 4 years to finish the degree and honours which is the expected amount of time to finish it, so you'll be fine.

studykiwi

UoA MBChB II
I can’t imagine deadlines moving forward this year…I know they used to be due later (last year because of COVID) but it definitely wouldn’t be changed from Nov. 15th. There is usually a soft 2 week extension available as well! The only thing would be you need to speak to your supervisor about getting your thesis marked & grades back before 30th November as if they are later than that (which Honours often are) your application will be scrapped as they cannot hold up making offers for other students. But definitely chat with your supervisor!